Real lightweigt MTB bike - is it real under 7kg??

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

karlux

by karlux

Hi there!!

Is it real to make very good MTB bike with front suspension which is under 15.4 lbs. It should be enough stiff to survive after 3 hour riding in some standart UCI MTB race (real rocky downhills and hard uphills)?

Try to shox me??
Light weight everything!

Rich Matthews

by Rich Matthews

Hi Karl,

Hmmm, I wonder if it is, I certainly wouldn't race a sub 16lbs bike period, let alone in a hardcore World Cup event. I know it's more that possible to build up a bike of about that weight, but what with all the carbon fibre, and lightweight Ti bolts etc...all it would take is a crash on a downhill or rocky section, and the bike would fall apart.

I'll stick with my 20lbs thanks :lol:

Would you race a sub 16lbs machine?

Rich
Have a nice day! :wink: Check out www.bikeforums.net for friendly chat and great advice, or my website, www.richmatthews.homestead.com/richeerooindex.html

by Weenie

^Dr Evil^

by ^Dr Evil^

18 lbs is about as light as you can build a MTB now, and it will hold up well, as for world cup races there not as tuff as most race courses so you don't even need a sup fork, many of the pros run there fork to where they hardly move at all and are really there just for the company most of the time.