Speedplay X 1 Plus (Superlite's inserts)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brianwchan

by brianwchan

E46 M3's are nice, but for the money, they are not the end all of sports cars that some people would have you believe.

Superlite

by Superlite

I'm not even gonna get started. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sputnick

by Sputnick

Hi,
I doing RAAM in June..
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/

My Team
http://www.jdrf-velokraft.com/

I would like a set of your light inserts!
Do you live anywhere near the start of RAAM?

Glenn
hills are my friends

cadence90

by cadence90

Sputnick wrote:Hi,
I doing RAAM in June..
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/

My Team
http://www.jdrf-velokraft.com/

Hats off to you and your team's worthy cause! Good luck!
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

AEsco48

by AEsco48

brianwchan wrote:E46 M3's are nice, but for the money, they are not the end all of sports cars that some people would have you believe.

What other car similar price range ($44-60k), has a usable trunk, rear seats, the handling, ergonomics, acceleration, and a quality/luxurious interior???

not to mention a low displacement high reving engine....Forced induction sux and if its not Rear wheel drive its WRONG wheel drive

brianwchan

by brianwchan

AEsco48 wrote:
brianwchan wrote:E46 M3's are nice, but for the money, they are not the end all of sports cars that some people would have you believe.

What other car similar price range ($44-60k), has a usable trunk, rear seats, the handling, ergonomics, acceleration, and a quality/luxurious interior???

not to mention a low displacement high reving engine....Forced induction sux and if its not Rear wheel drive its WRONG wheel drive

Really don't want to argue about this here, thread might get locked. But here's what I think, and just what I think. With dealer markups, the M3 is pretty much a 60k car. Correct?

First of all your statement regarding a high revving small displacement engine means nothing. Yes it does-- so what? What is more important is power to weight ratio. If you wanted a small displacement high revving engine you could always get a Honda. A 2.0 liter 240 hp engine is found in their s2000, the f20c engine. That thing has an even better hp/liter ratio than the m3.

So, you might be wondering what I would get instead? I agree with you BMW's interiors are very nice, and they are very nice cars. I just wouldn't pay 60k for one. At this point in my life, I'd value a fast, great handling car, over one with a nice luxurious interior. Anyway, I would probably pick up a corvette with the new ls2 engine from chevy. Let's see 400 hp, equal torque, rear wheel drive. Will beat the m3 in every measureable performance category. Just because the engine uses pushrods, doesn't mean anything. It is a great car, and a true performance value. I believe it's lighter than the bimmer as well. Hell, I could even purchase a used c5 z06 and save money and the performance differential would be even greater. And let's not even start about the Mistubishi evo/ subaru sti.

All I'm saying is that for a pure sports car, there are better. As a pimped out cruiser, it's certainly one of the best. As you can attest, people seem to give e46 m3's and their owners a lot of attention.

Oh, and before you say the chevy is a gas guzzling, unreliable domestic turd, know that people have gotten over 30 mpg on the freeway due to the long gearing, and that the BMW m3's s54 engine has had a LOT of problems. The early ones have been exploding like crazy, and guess how much it costs to replace that thing if it is out of warranty? 20k I think, off the top of my head.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Also, if that's your m3, it's very nice. Very classy in the alpine white? I'm not sure how bmw names their colors.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

But is it light?

brianwchan

by brianwchan

What the corvette? Or the e46? I'm pretty sure the corvette is a couple hundred lb. lighter than the bimmer. It's got a lot less gadgets. And as I said, I admit the chevy's interior is far inferior. But hey, I'm just looking at it from a performance standpoint.

Superlite

by Superlite

If you think a little S2000 can beat an e36 or e46 M3 your smoking something. :lol:

S2000 with it's little 2.0 or 2.2L has no torque, it can't hold anything to the 3.2 of the M3.

Plus S2000 is a roadster, M3 is a coupe. M3 is smokes S2000.

Weight wise, corvette is only 100-200lbs lighter depending on trim and model.

Plus comparing a corvette is like comparing apples to oranges. Corvette is a dedicated sports car. M3 is a coupe that seats 4, has a real trunk. and can be driven any day of the week, anywhere.

AEsco48, nice e46, what mods you have? SMG or manual?

We need a car forum on here. :D

brianwchan

by brianwchan

God superlite, way to twist my words. I DID NOT say a s2k would beat an m3. Quite the opposite. He mentioned the high hp/liter output of the s54, I rebutted with the f20c. If all you care about is that ridiculous ratio, then the f20c would make it a better car with that logic. But is it? NO.

I was just trying to show that there are far better PURE sports cars for the money. No more, no less. I even admitted that I think the m3 is a great car, does a lot of things well.

I refuse to discuss cars anymore, too many "fanbois" and not enough knowledge.

Superlite

by Superlite

Chill dude.

burlguy

by burlguy

Huh huh ..cough cough .. 400hp 2800 lbs Awd turbo

AEsco48

by AEsco48

Just to start off you are comparing Apples to oranges....

Dealer Markup...only in California...i got my early 2002 M3 for $2000 under MSRP, and i could have gotten my 2004 for $3500 at a dealer up north but went with my local dealer for $3100 below MSRP....its only in SOME dealers in California where they charge a mark up...and to some people

The HP per liter ratio of the S2000 is just marginally better.... and 240 hp is not enough at 2900lb.....just as a reference, my M3 when i take it to the track weighs 3200lb.... and that just ordering it with less options, removing rear seats, LTW wheels....have lots of friends who have street able M3's with lite weight exhausts and other components that weigh 3000lb....we are talking race seats, no rear seats, full interior trim, no sound insulation....but driven as daily drivers....

Handling, put either Ground Control Advanced Designed shocks, or Moton Club sport shocks, plus the lower weight...and you are talking about a car that can be faster then a decently driven GT3 on a track that does not have long strights...same M3 with Cams, intake, full exhaust, intake and custom software (not sold to the public)....easy 300 to the rear wheels...do the math...

you cant compare the Corvette to an M3, its a sports car, the M3 is not defined as a sports car....i would not get a corvette if they gave it to me at half off

yea the STI and Evo are great cars...and very inexpensive....i would never bet a forced induction car.....IMO...POS....and AWD...yea its fast....with any one driving.....just throw the thing in a general direction and smash the gas.....there is a reason why AWD is banned from professional racing minus rally....

MPG...oh please...i normally get 14 mpg...and i enjoy it....i have had family members drive my car for a week and get 18 mpg in the city....and on the high way at legal speeds 24 mpg

so again comparing apples to apples...what car would you get

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AEsco48

by AEsco48

Yea Alpine White,

Right now i only have Camber plates, some H&R lowering springs that were given to me while i get full suspension....with in the next year it will have Moton Club Sports, Brembo BBK, race shells, 6pt harness (for the track), roll bar and full bushing upgrade, exhaust, intake and software....it could almost all happen right now basically if i were not getting a Litespeed Vortex....