Kuota Khan

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hamsterchick

by hamsterchick

I'd like some feed-backs on this bike as it can be bought locallly here in Singapore and I may want to acquire one if the reviews are good.

A riding buddy said that the weight can easily be trimmed down to 15lbs easily, almost like the CR1.

What I like mostly is the aesthetic look with those sinewy curves at the right places and the weenieism that the bike promises.

Only now, I need an assessment on durability and peformance/ride quality.

Link-

http://www.kuota.it/international.html

While checking out the Khan, you may want to see their Full susser carbon MTB, the "Kup" which also rocks.

Appreciate your replies concerning this matter.

Thanx in advance. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brianwchan

by brianwchan

If you can get it locally, it would be a good idea to test ride it?

hamsterchick

by hamsterchick

Tough luck doing it here in Singapore..... :cry:

Unlike in other countries, in Singapore, local bikeshops in general do not offer testrides. The most that you can come near to testing it is when a riding buddy owns one with a set-up that exactly suites your geometry.

This aside, the bike itself and the brand is relatively new here and I might be one of the few who might own one ahead of the rest.

Other than that, you have to rely on reviews and feedbacks and pray that the bike you got ain't a lemon or a bad purchase.........so here I am. :lol:

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

1330 grams for a 56 is not very light for a carbon frame. That weight is just for the frame and maybe the headset if you use the configurator the fork weighs another 330. The frame weight surely includes the headset so you can subtrace 100 and the frame weighs 1230, which is still heavy for a cf bike. Plus their website pisses me off since I am using a 1600 x 1200 lcd and it insists on maximizing the size of my browser window and then the immage is a box taking up about 1/4 of the screen right in the middle. The frame looks good and certainly has some interesting concepts, but it isn't very light. I used their configurator and I think I built a 55 with the lightest components they had and it weighed 8100+ according to them. I don't think you could buy enough light stuff to get this bike down to the weight of a CR1.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

drjones96

by drjones96

The Khan is more of a TT/Triathalon bike right?
I thought the Kredo was supposed to be their light-bike bid.

My OLD LBS was a Kuota dealer. I must have seen the previous Khan model because it looked a little different than the one on the Kuota site. Very cool looking bikes IMO. I don't know much about their performance. I think there have been some reviews of the Khan or at least some of Kuota's bikes in this forum if you'd like to search a bit. I personally haven't heard anything bad about them ....except there was this guy that packed his Kredo frame to be shipped or something and stuck some packing tape on one of the frame tubes. When he went to pull the tape off some of the clear coat came with it. But that's about it.

ALx

by ALx

Kuota Rocks!!!!! its been 1 month that i own a kredo and it gives an awesome ride!!!!! i LOVE IT!!! from what i heard, th khan is heavyer but comfort is improved... with the khan u actually get a better size range... so i think you should go on a kredo if you fit A1 on it or go for the khan if you need a better positioning than the kredo can offer
Sprinters are born not made

ALx

by ALx

btw ... the kup looks awesome!
Sprinters are born not made

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Looks great! and it has a replaceable derraileur hanger!
If you wanted to get the weight down you would have to select the lightest of the light components.

hamsterchick

by hamsterchick

Hi all.....

In their web, the Khan was spec'ed as a roadbike and they had another grouping just for Tri or TT spec'ed bikes.

A bit off topic but browsing over the issue of Triathlete magazine April 2005 edition, the Scott CR1 was included in their Tri-specific bike lists. So I wonder in this direction if other road specific bikes like the Kuota Khan can manage to have tri set-ups as well.

The Kuota brand is more well known in the Triathletic scene for quite sometime now, so maybe the misconception that all its models are tri specific. I was as surprised too to see the Kup Khan MTB while checking-out their website.

I was in passing able to read a reviews on the Kuota Khan but it was in Pez Cycling and they did give it a high rating. I could not be certain though if I recalled correctly that 15 lbs can be attained using light components..... this referal being includedin their report.

To just to add more to the off-topic...within the weight range too of the EC90 and Kestrel EMS pro carbon handlebars is the Kuota carbon drop which is also included with pics in the website. Weight of this bar is 190g.........First time I came across this dropbar actually and wonder too how it performs. :?:

big fellow

by big fellow

hamsterchick wrote:Tough luck doing it here in Singapore..... :cry:

Unlike in other countries, in Singapore, local bikeshops in general do not offer testrides. The most that you can come near to testing it is when a riding buddy owns one with a set-up that exactly suites your geometry.

some time ago i had a disagreement with some tosser on here about service in bike shops in singapore - point above proves how pathetic it is

wonder where he is and if he's reading this...

brianwchan

by brianwchan

hamsterchick wrote:I was in passing able to read a reviews on the Kuota Khan but it was in Pez Cycling and they did give it a high rating.

Pez cycling? I never would have guessed.

Eddy

by Eddy

hi there,

I own a khan , For 6 months now, must have done 11000 km on it , great ride confortable , great steering , look very unusual , you will not see at every corner like the scott but isn't a weigth weenies bike i must agree with that. Mine is a 53 size , and 7.2 kg with nothing realy light , the quality the bike is execelent , I just come back fron a 600 km 4 days stage race with the bike , my advice if you want a great unusual high quality carbon frame go for it , but if you want a WW carbon frame choose something else good luck .

Ps : the khan isn't tt or triathlon frame , the Kalibur is the one win ! spot in Kona this year .

I break my Smolke Bars during the second stage of the race after 30km the stage was 120 km i manage to finish , the quality of smolke bars is very high those bar i have for 6 years , half dozen of crash on it , easton one are bad break two already , quality or carbon layer not good .

drjones96

by drjones96

Pez does great reviews for Kuota. But then....they give great reviews for everything else too. :roll:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

But then....they give great reviews for everything else too.

My definition of a magazine.... :roll:

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hamsterchick

by hamsterchick

Hello Eddy.... :D

7.2kg with no light parts yet is quite okay. :wink:

For the fact that if you chose to have ww components instead, then the weight would definitely fall to at least 15lbs, which is very alright with me as long as the ride quality and over-all race performance is there.With it's unusual sinewy looks, I guess this is a good combination....aesthetics, weight, performance and quality.

I have a Principia Rex E at 16.3lbs and it rides incredibly fast and comfy. Likewise, I have a Scott CR1 at 14.3 lbs which has been my ww bike eversince and with not so full lightparts yet. :D

Oh, by the way, Pez cyclingnews seems to be a petpeeve here is it? :shock: