My new "mongrels"

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Common knowledge ist that pulling spokes should have their heads inside on the drive side. Your wheel was laced up wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

No offense, but Mike Garcia is one of the best wheel builders in the US. I think he knows what he is doing. :roll:

Why don't you call him up since you know so much. :wink:

I don't know anything about wheel building, but maybe due to th asymetrical rim is why he did it that way. Spoke angle is almost indentical on drive and non-drive side.

tommy

by tommy

Dr.Dos wrote:Common knowledge ist that pulling spokes should have their heads inside on the drive side. Your wheel was laced up wrong.

Euhm... I think you are wrong!

If the rear wheel is a 3X on both sides, the heads of the pulling spokes have to be out.

seankellyfan

by seankellyfan

Mark Garcia built mine as well!!!

drjones96

by drjones96

Any relation to Jerry? :D

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

tommy wrote:If the rear wheel is a 3X on both sides, the heads of the pulling spokes have to be out.

Pulling spokes should have an angle as shallow as possible. This is achieved by having the spoke head on the inside regardless of the spoke pattern (1,2 or 3X). Maybe the advantage/disadvantage is neglectible, nevertheless it should be there. And it offends common knowledge about wheel building.

I would call him if I was in the US, but I'm not. ;)

Superlite

by Superlite

I'll call him, I'll report back!

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

There seems to be some gap between old Europe and the US. While DT Swiss, Magura, Sapim, Whizz-Wheels and almost any other favor what I called 'common knowledge' some US builders do it differently. I noticed this on my Reynolds when they arrived, too.

Example from Sapim:

"Once correctly mounted,
- the pull spoke heads are visible inside flange
- the push spoke heads are visible outside flange"

divve

by divve

Heheh :lol: I was wondering when someone would bring that up. I also like pulling spokes heads in whenever possible (used to think otherwise due to MTB disc wheels). Most systems wheels by Mavic and Campagnolo come this way as well. In practice however, it doesn't make a difference. I prefer to stick to convention though, just as I like to have the decals facing on the correct side of the valve and the hub print lined up.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

holy crap! did anyone else notice the stiffness test of ADA wheels on that page? I think this might be the first substantive stiffness test I have personally seen.

divve

by divve

andrew wrote:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/

See number 10.

What about number 10?

ifdeluxe

by ifdeluxe

From Jobst Brandt:
"Tension changes resulting from pedaling cause an interlaced spoke crossing to move toward the side of the pulling spoke. At the crossing point, the tighter (pulling) spoke straightens while the other spoke bends more. This moves the crossing point inward or outward depending on the spoking. If the derailleur is near the spokes and the pulling spokes come from outside of the flange, clearance will be reduced when torque is transmitted With pulling spokes coming from inside the flange, derailleur clearance increases with torque."

danielgillett

by danielgillett

superlite wrote:I think he knows what he is doing. :roll:
Why don't you call him up since you know so much. :wink:

Don't you think that's a little disrespective? Especially considering that he's correct.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html wrote:If the wheel is laced with the trailing spokes on the outside of the flange, the crossing gets pulled outward toward the derailer cage, and in some cases will actually hit against the derailleur only under load.

http://www.sapim.be/index.php?st=checklist&taal=uk wrote:Once correctly mounted,
- the pull spoke heads are visible inside flange
- the push spoke heads are visible outside flange

Superlite; your current configuration sounds reassuring. :wink:
Last edited by danielgillett on Thu May 05, 2005 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Danielgillett Wrote

Superlite; your current configuration sounds reassuring. :wink:

If it was a poorly laced up wheel then why would Reynolds and Zipp use this lacing pattern? :roll:

I think it is a preference thing, I looked around the net and noticed the Zipp and Reynolds does the same lacing.

Just because the lacing isn't the "norm" on my wheels doesn't mean it wasn't done right or built well. Anyone who has Mike's hand built wheels know how good they are, anyone have pics of them?
Attachments
Zipprear.jpg
Reynoldsrear.jpg
Last edited by Superlite on Thu May 05, 2005 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.