Any Merckx news for 2010?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sml12

by sml12

Does anyone have the scoop on Merckx for 2010?

BB30? Internal Cable Routing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4cmd3

by 4cmd3

I am curious too... interested in the EMX line myself - love those looks.
I'm wonder how the EMX vs non-EMX lines play out...
EMX
non-EMX

What models are you interested in?

By internal cable routing, do you mean more than the top tube/brake cable? (because some of the models at least seem to have that much...)

djconnel

by djconnel

Actually I'm impressed by the Al-Sc frames.

sml12

by sml12

4cmd3 wrote:What models are you interested in?

I am 95% close to buying a Premium but I am half-waiting until the '10 models arrive.

If the 2010 releases are 6 mths away, I would buy the Premium now. If they are 1 month away, then i would wait.

Can anyone remember when the '09 news was announced?
Last edited by sml12 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WinesofWA

by WinesofWA

I own two Merckx bikes (2003 ti Millenium 3 and 2002 Team SC). The Team SC is simply awesome. I'll be selling the ti bike very soon and refreshing the Team SC with an all-new component set. I raced that thing for 3 years (including 3 bad crashes), and it's now got several thousand miles on it with no signs of wearing out. The ride is tank-like, but it's very light and responsive. Frankly, it's too bad for Merckx that carbon bikes took off so fast because they have a winner in their scandium bike line. I'm thinking about buying a Premium frameset and storing it until my Team SC breaks.

Also, note that "Merckx" is no longer Eddy's company. He retired several months ago and sold his interest to some other company. Of course, I've no idea at all what that will mean to the quality of Merckx bikes going forward, but it is something to watch closely. Merckx bikes in the past were special because Eddy was so hands-on in their design and manufacture.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

The new Merckx range willbe presented at Eurobike at the beginning of septembre.
EMX 3 and 5 will remain the same, a new EMX 1 and a female-EMx 1 will be presented.
The allow range wil change completely, also the Premium will be redesigned.
And I can assure you Mr Merckx is still daily involved in the develoment of the new range.

sml12

by sml12

Thanks Bruno!

I was hoping you might jump in :lol:

4cmd3

by 4cmd3

Hooray! Thanks Bruno! :D

I was not expecting something like the EMX-1 to slot in (presumably below the EMX-3) but interesting... I guess it might be like the Pinarello FP2 as compared to the higher models Pina's

Comparatively it seemed to me (price and carbon-wise)...
EMX-5 ~ FP7 carbon (46HM3K)
EMX-3 ~ FP3 carbon (30HM12K)
EMX-1 ~ FP2 carbon (24IM12K) ???

My problem is that everyone has or reviews the EMX-5 (great bike). But I would love to know how the EMX-3 (or now the EMX-1) compares. In speaking about the Paris vs. the FP6, Competitive Cyclist says "The bikes will ride identically. To discern a difference, you’ll need a scale or a credit card statement!" I wonder if this would be pretty much true of EMX-5 vs EMX-3 ... (vs. EMX-1)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Seems that this might be the best place to ask this question rather than starting a new thread about it.....

I can honestly say I cannot recall seeing a single Merckx bike around my part of Oz. I know nothing about them, but they seem to be held in rather high regard on here.

What am I missing out on/what should I know? Why are they so good?

Courant

by Courant

bruno2000 wrote:The new Merckx range willbe presented at Eurobike at the beginning of septembre.
EMX 3 and 5 will remain the same, a new EMX 1 and a female-EMx 1 will be presented.
The allow range wil change completely, also the Premium will be redesigned.
And I can assure you Mr Merckx is still daily involved in the develoment of the new range.

Bruno,

How much will the Premium be redesigned? In that, will it just be a make-over of the frame (e.g. still all Scandium alloy, same geometry) or something completely new called "Premium? I was on the verge of buying one this year but didn't for various reasons - I'd like to buy one next year now, but I'm now nervous the new Premium will not be the same bike I was hoping to get!

Thanks for any help,

sml12

by sml12

I am also very curious on the 'premium re-design' but there is not too long to wait.

I would surprised if Merckx would not accept an order for an 09 premium geometry, if for some reason you didn't like the '10 model.

Anyway hurry up .. I am ready to order!

Rambo

by Rambo

Hi, I have recently got a mercx emc3 supplied by my sponsor in the uk, jim walker. I have written a review on it while training in the Alps recently. If you want to read it go to i-ride.co.uk and click on the mercx emc3 test. Very good bike by the way :)

4cmd3

by 4cmd3

Thanks Rambo!
I found it ironic that you were wearing Argon18 kit, since that was probably my #2 choice... have you ridden the Gallium? (if so your thoughts on the comparison?)

Here's a direct link:
http://www.i-ride.co.uk/news.php?year=2009&month=7&id=230

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That's a very nice looking frame!

Carbon?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sml12

by sml12

Rambo wrote:If you want to read it go to i-ride.co.uk and click on the mercx emc3 test.

Rambo ... not sure if you are aware, but your web server host is pretty slow. Only about 50kbps. One of the slowest that I have experienced on the web in recent years.