Campy Record 11 Rear Brake centering?????

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C-40

by C-40

Just put a new set of brakes on and the front 2mm hex adjustment works great- putting the brake in perfect position

Unfortunately, the rear adjustment does not seem to act the same way- nothing happens when the set screw is turned

What am I doing wrong?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

I don't know what you are turning, but there is no rear centering setscrew. The single pivot rear brake must be centered with a 15mm open end wrench.

C-40

by C-40

well no wonder!!

there are two 2mm set screws but they must be for spring tension....

tochnics

by tochnics

it will proberly wont be the case but if the outer rearbrake cable is a bit long it "could" push the brake a little bit of centre
forgetting the threaded spacer does not work either
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

maley

by maley

tochnics wrote:it will proberly wont be the case but if the outer rearbrake cable is a bit long it "could" push the brake a little bit of centre

+1 happened to me :oops:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

My Athena rear brake is annoying the crap out of me and I can't figure out how to center it. the side with the cable adjustment keeps rubbing the wheel. I've taken it apart and reinstalled, adjusted tiny screw that holds one side of the spring etc etc with no luck. I tried 15mm open wrench but no luck either :noidea:

Help please! It's driving me nuts.

Miller

by Miller

ultyguy wrote:My Athena rear brake is annoying the crap out of me and I can't figure out how to center it.

It's simple and the usual procedure for centring single pivot brakes. You need to get a spanner onto the flats on the main bolt through the brake. This will let you rotate the brake body against the friction of the nut holding the brake onto the bike, so that nut can't be too tight. Squeeze the brake lever a few times, see how the brake moves, and use the spanner to rotate it one way or the other so the brake calipers are nicely centred. If you backed off the brake nut a little to allow this to be easy, now squeeze the brake levers to close the brake and tighten the brake bolt again.

The length of the brake outer from the cable stop to the rear brake can affect the brake centring although I have found the Campag single pivot brake to be not oversensitive about this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Thanks for the advice. Yup, seems as though whatever I do the pressure from the brake cable pushing the brake block on the same side is too much to overcome. I guess this means shortening the brake cable :(