Scales

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Luc

by Luc

Hi WW's !!

As I was hanging around here & there in different forums, I was wondering : which scale do you use ?

I have a Maul Tronic S (max 2000 g, 0 - 100 g d=0.5 g, 100 - 2000g d=1g) and a Tefal Sensitive Computer (max 5000 g, 0 - 1000 g d=2 g, 1000 - 5000g d=5 g)

:thanx:
Pollice verso.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onyourleft

by onyourleft

I use the scales at my local Staples/UPS counter. :shock: Very accurate, and they don't mind me bugging them to use it since I'm a frequent customer there.

I just take a few bike parts with me that I want to weigh when I need to ship something or get supplies.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

Pedä

by Pedä

i have a scale up to 2000g in 2g steps. if i want to know the total bike weight i go to my lbs... they have a scale up to 10kg in steps of 0,1g :D :D

so i could see a difference before and after greasing the chain :D

but to my mind it is to okay to use a 2g step scale for parts and a 10 or 20g step scale for bikes
Pedä

Cyco

by Cyco

The important thing to remember with a scale that is only accutare to +-2g at low weights (sub 500g) is they often lack both precission and accuracey.

Any good scale for low weights should not only have high accuracy (ability to read fine increments) but also high precission (repeatability) for if precission is lacking then weights will not be correct.

I weigh to 0.01g and the scale is both accurate and precise to +-0.01g. With this I am confident I can weight the fingerprints on it, and do so repeatadly.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Luc

by Luc

:thanx:
Pollice verso.

Bigfoot

by Bigfoot

There is really no point for .01g accuracy. Those scales costs thousands. I think 1g is enough (on display) for ww.

Tippster

by Tippster

Cyco wrote:The important thing to remember with a scale that is only accutare to +-2g at low weights (sub 500g) is they often lack both precission and accuracey.

Any good scale for low weights should not only have high accuracy (ability to read fine increments) but also high precission (repeatability) for if precission is lacking then weights will not be correct.

I weigh to 0.01g and the scale is both accurate and precise to +-0.01g. With this I am confident I can weight the fingerprints on it, and do so repeatadly.

Thats a dam expensive scale you have there. I have access to a very good scale in a chemistry lab. Even that is only accurate to +/- 0.02g
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Bigfoot wrote:There is really no point for .01g accuracy. Those scales costs thousands. I think 1g is enough (on display) for ww.

I agree, .01 g are not necessary.
But if you have parts >20 g (tiny items like cassette lockrings, bolts or some bottle cages) .1 g accuracy can make a huge difference in claimed vs. real.
Image Image

King Weel

by King Weel

I need a new accurate scale (up to 10 kg, steps of 0,5-1,0 g), but don't want to spend to much, any ideas? What are reliable options? Thanks!
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

martin

by martin

King Weel wrote:I need a new accurate scale (up to 10 kg, steps of 0,5-1,0 g), but don't want to spend to much, any ideas? What are reliable options? Thanks!

I bought a Kern MH 10 K 10 lately. it goes up to 10kg with a reliability of +/- 10g. It cost ~40E. I think scales 10kg with an accuracy of 1g will be very expensive.

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

gonzo

by gonzo

I reckon it's better to have a less accurate scale. I just shifted to a scale that can only weigh in 100g increments. I find it is better because then i become less obsessive and don't waste my money on parts that don't drop more than 100gs. So when I do spend money on light parts i know that i will actually be able to notice the difference.

Tippster

by Tippster

gonzo wrote:I reckon it's better to have a less accurate scale. I just shifted to a scale that can only weigh in 100g increments. I find it is better because then i become less obsessive and don't waste my money on parts that don't drop more than 100gs. So when I do spend money on light parts i know that i will actually be able to notice the difference.

Nopt really in the spirit of the website Gonzo...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

gonzo

by gonzo

Maybe so but much better on my bank balance.

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

I just bought a $20 USB scale that measures in 1g. increments up to 4540 g. Radio Shack. I've also got a small <120g. Vector VG-120 that claims 0.1g. accuracy. It was $60.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frasertri

by Frasertri

gonzo wrote:Maybe so but much better on my bank balance.

Hmmm, not necessarily.... With rounding error, you could be spending money and only saving 5g! You were just kidding though, rght?? :shock: