2009 Centuar Shifter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ironman1

by ironman1

Have the new 2009 shifters, bought when they first came out. Someone had posted that Campy had made a running upgrade and the more recently released levers have a firmer click , more like the chorus and Record. I would imagine that they made the notches deeper in the circular disc for a more distinct feel. Does anyone know if these can be purchased seperatly ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darbydog

by darbydog

I had posted about running changes on the levers. From what I can tell the down shifts are crisper than before. But the up shifts are not they are still light feeling. I have not compared them to a Record or Chorus but from my understanding they are Centaur are much lighter in feel
Ride Vellum Cycles

Zak

by Zak

I just got new 2009 shifters and they seem crisp both ways, so I guess I was lucky to get the new stuff.

I just read in Tour magazin about the running upgrade where they interview the German Campy representative. He says that they won't exchange shifters to new ones if you have the first version, but unsatisfied customers they try to find a agreement with. You can put into it what you want but it seems like a worthville thing to do to contact Campy

DaveS

by DaveS

If Campy will give you or sell the revised index disc, it is very simple to install. Much easier than taking apart the old style levers. Once the lever if off the bike, it's an honest 5-10 minute job.

Burning Dogma

by Burning Dogma

Where can I get these new discs?

ironman1

by ironman1

Just talked to Campy USA. Can get the new disc from any wholesaler that carries Campy such as QBC. Part number is ....EC-RE 017 . Rep said clicks are much more distict shifting up and not as much of a change downshifting. I asked him how it compared to record 10 and he said probly not quite as disticnt but a definate improvement from the first 09 centuar.

tommasini

by tommasini

Just wondering - I'm interested in the ergonomics of the 2009 levers for my #2 bike but still running 10 speed for now. I've been hesitant on the Centaurs because of the talk of such light shifting. I've also seen others sand down the lettering on Centaur levers to hide the fact that they are lower on the totem pole....But I'm also looking ahead, so I'm thinking could I buy SR (11) levers and with a few spare internals temporarily make them 10 speed until I later convert to 11 full on.

So when I look at the schematic for Super Record 11 vs Veloce/Centaur 10 levers (2009) The entire ratcheting assembly looks so similar that you'd think maybe spare parts EC-SR110 (or EC-RE310) could be removed from an 11 speed lever and replaced with EC-CE110 from Centaur. But no one seems to carry that part (only have tried a Google search - not actually contacted distributors). But seeing this latest p/n EC-RE017.....I'm guessing it's the disk with wave-like indentations all the way around (not the disk with the teeth on it's perimeterwhich engages the same thumb shifter used by Centaur as SR) such that maybe this (EC-RE017) might be the gemstone for turning a SR/Record lever to 10 speed.....and it sounds to be readily avialable now or soon.......thoughts from anyone like DaveS that have mucked around in both 10 and 11 speed 2009 levers that this might work?

DaveS

by DaveS

There are two parts required to convert a 10 speed lever to 11 speed, the index disc EC-SR013 and the front ratchet, EC-SR062. See page 40 of the PDF.

To do the opposite, you need EC-CE160 and EC-CE133. Note that both are identified as 10 speed. See page 43 of the PDF.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...s09-A-3009.pdf

viewtopic.php?t=50014&highlight=ultrashift+ergopower

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Is there anyway to tell if the shifters are the new ones before buying them? Part number change? QBP has the carbon ones in stock, no aluminum ones in stock.

Has the change been reflected in the Veloce shifters as well?

Zak

by Zak

No there is no way to tell the difference without trying. Not even serial-number or anything

Franklin

by Franklin

DaveS wrote:There are two parts required to convert a 10 speed lever to 11 speed, the index disc EC-SR013 and the front ratchet, EC-SR062. See page 40 of the PDF.

To do the opposite, you need EC-CE160 and EC-CE133. Note that both are identified as 10 speed. See page 43 of the PDF.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...s09-A-3009.pdf

So if I understand correctly: You can disasemble an 11 speed lever and turn it into an 10 speed compatible one? Would it get the Centaur mushy click or the Chorus/Record style?

DaveS

by DaveS

If you install a 10 speed index disc into an 11 speed shifter, it will feel just like a 10 speed shifter. If Campy really has made a change to the 10 speed index disc, to make the clicks more distinct, then that's another story. The feel of the clicks is in the index disc. All the other parts are the same.

numbers505

by numbers505

has anyone done the disc conversion here on the centaur levers?

DaveS

by DaveS

I've had both of them apart. They are much easier to work on than the old design.

Are you concerned about how to do it, or whether it will work? I can assure you that the parts are interchangeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5mzR8-rh8M

tommasini

by tommasini

DaveS wrote:I've had both of them apart. They are much easier to work on than the old design.

Are you concerned about how to do it, or whether it will work? I can assure you that the parts are interchangeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5mzR8-rh8M

Thanks Dave - so a shifter disk replacement is all the difference between 11 vs 10 speed (and for more solid 10 speed shifting go for the latest disk from Campy - EC-RE017).

BTW - any else think they see what I think I see - when the Campy tech is reinstalling the brake lever pivot pin at the very end he seems to miss with the metal hammer and bash the brake lever - OUCH!!

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com