Tire Recomendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JTC

by JTC

I am going to be in Belgium in April watching the classics and riding some cobbles. Anyone have any recomendations on tubular tires and pressures to run? I think at least 22mm is a must, but there are not a lot of tires out there larger than 23mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Joel

by Joel

For Belgium, just use Vittoria Corsa CX 21mm, Conti Comp 22mm. It's no problem. For real tuff cobblestones - maybe 5km in the Tour de Flanders - you can probably use Vittoria Special Pavé. For the wheels, take ordinary low alu rims - not too expensive. Pressure is about 6-7 bar in a 21mm tire, you have to feel it.

Tsielio

by Tsielio

you should better take vittoria 23(not 21!), conti 22 or dugast 23
conti is the best when it rains
dugast on the cobblestones
vittoria all round...

JTC

by JTC

Where can I find the Dugast? I have read that they are the last hand made tubulars other than Veloflex. They sound like great tires.

mises

by mises

Veloflex has a Roubaix 24mm tubular now. Haven't tried them yet but will probably get some this spring.

Joel

by Joel

They had a website, but now he don't work anymore. You can find them in some shops in Belgium

martin

by martin

Joel wrote:They had a website, but now he don't work anymore. You can find them in some shops in Belgium

Try
http://www.a-dugast.com/main.php?language=english

Joel

by Joel

Tsielio wrote:you should better take vittoria 23(not 21!), conti 22 or dugast 23
conti is the best when it rains
dugast on the cobblestones
vittoria all round...

Vittoria only 21mm and Pavé 24mm, but the corsas are better than 23mm clincher on cobblestones, they are real good all round for the Belgian classics. But if you want the best go for Dugast

Geoff

by Geoff

We have had very good luck in the past with the Vittoria Special Pave tubulars, which are very durable. I have not tried the asian-manufactured ones, but will have to soon as the Italian ones are all but gone now. I have, however, had very good luck with the asian-manufactured Vittoria All-Weather tubulars, having had only one cut in the past 3 seasons.

I mount tubulars on Ambrosio Nemesis 32's with Sapim Lasers and Record hubs. They have taken all the abuse that can be tossed at them without going out of true (except a Porsche 911 a season ago...). I have looked into the Andre Dugast tubulars, but have never tried them. The last time I looked, the Paris-Roubaix Silks were about 150 Euros (and they are a funny pink coulor, if that matters to you...).

Oh, one issue is to make sure that your rear brake bridge will handle a the 23-section Vittoria. A number of people who have tried the Special Pave have found that they do not fit the specific frame that they are riding.

spytech

by spytech

you should give tufo elite road a try, they are great even when wet. i feel very secure with them, they are 23 mm. i ride the tub/clincher version at 130psi and they still feel soft but i imagine the tub. is not much different. they are very well made.

Joel

by Joel

130psi on cobblestones? It won't work very well :roll:

Superlite

by Superlite

Ha, tell me about it! you know how bone jarring of a ride that would be! It would probley make all the components fall off your bike! :wink:

JTC

by JTC

Tufo is all I ride, but I want something different for the cobbles. The Tufo have a lower TPI I beleive. I think I will try the Veloflex Roubaix.

spytech

by spytech

which tufo do you ride? i have elite road which are 440tpi, do they make a tire with higher tpi? by the way im done with my bike, i will have pics soon. i can not believe how stiff the frame is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Is it as stiff as fluffy bunny? :wink:

Man, every time I see your avitar it freaks me out still!