Power Meter Software

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SQ

by SQ

I will soon have a Powertap SLC+ laced into the back wheel and I was curious what software other power meter owners use.

Currently I save the files from my Garmin on Garmin Connect but it seems pretty limited in terms of analysis although I do like that it is on line and can access it from home or work.

I was going to get WKO+ to analyse the files but should I continue to use Garmin Connect for storing the files or another program?

Thanks very much

Simon

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

I think garmin connect sucks as a GPS tool, let alone a power analysis tool (no features there).

WKO+ is a power tool.

Raceday is a power tool.

The only tool that will USE gps data and power data is topofusion, but it is lacking as a training tool.

There is no one tool fits all and I find myself using all and then some to get what I want as a coach.

HTH

g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SQ

by SQ

gregclimbs wrote:I think garmin connect sucks as a GPS tool, let alone a power analysis tool (no features there).

WKO+ is a power tool.

Raceday is a power tool.

The only tool that will USE gps data and power data is topofusion, but it is lacking as a training tool.

There is no one tool fits all and I find myself using all and then some to get what I want as a coach.

HTH

g

Thanks g.

Yeah GC does suck. I have really been using it to store the files until I found something better!

What about Sport Tracks which inc GPS? I dowloaded it once but could get the files to upload so ditched it...it's not and on line tool but if it works that's not the end of the world...

Thanks

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

I played with sportstracks about this >< long.... it is all plug ins and such, so who knows which plug in will be the most supported/adopted.

Also there is a free-ware app - gc or golden cheetah. I have toyed with it a bit... it is x-platform, and uses some of the background code of raceday.

But since it is free, might be worth your while to try it out.

So, on my machine (a mac), I have them all installed... topofusion, saris poweragent, srmwin, wko+, older polar, raceday etc.

But as a coach some of the tools I use are still in spreadsheets.

Here are the benefits of most of the apps (IMHO):

topofusion: good gps app, interesting gps+power visualization, but I think there is a better map+power visualization to be had... dunno what it is yet, but think there is one.

poweragent/srmwin: both good basic tools. I still download all my powermeters into native formats - just in case

polar: HR focused with power as an afterthought, good calender view.

golden cheetah: a good start at open sourcing the wko+/raceday features, but still miming the competition and nothing that isn't available elsewhere, albiet it is free.

wko+: the staple. good diary and search functionality, first to implement PMC and generally great app.

raceday: similar metrics to the PMC, with the added benefit of forecasting future performances (well I might add). less of a training diary tool though. mac native!

HTH

g

SQ

by SQ

[quote="gregclimbs"]I played with sportstracks about this >< long.... it is all plug ins and such, so who knows which plug in will be the most supported/adopted.

Also there is a free-ware app - gc or golden cheetah. I have toyed with it a bit... it is x-platform, and uses some of the background code of raceday.

But since it is free, might be worth your while to try it out.

So, on my machine (a mac), I have them all installed... topofusion, saris poweragent, srmwin, wko+, older polar, raceday etc.

But as a coach some of the tools I use are still in spreadsheets.

Here are the benefits of most of the apps (IMHO):

topofusion: good gps app, interesting gps+power visualization, but I think there is a better map+power visualization to be had... dunno what it is yet, but think there is one.

poweragent/srmwin: both good basic tools. I still download all my powermeters into native formats - just in case

polar: HR focused with power as an afterthought, good calender view.

golden cheetah: a good start at open sourcing the wko+/raceday features, but still miming the competition and nothing that isn't available elsewhere, albiet it is free.

wko+: the staple. good diary and search functionality, first to implement PMC and generally great app.

raceday: similar metrics to the PMC, with the added benefit of forecasting future performances (well I might add). less of a training diary tool though. mac native!

HTH

g[/quote

Thanks g. That's a great and comprehensive summary.

If you had to use WKO+ plus one other with the 705/SLC+ combo what would that other be?

Poweragent would be the native back up but I like the idea of being able to pinpoint power etc to certain sections of the ride using GPS and also later on being able to upload past rides to the 705 but not sure anything fits really the bill. Would I lose the GPS data only saving to WKO+ and Poweragent?
Last edited by SQ on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

are you on a mac? or pc?

g

SQ

by SQ

gregclimbs wrote:are you on a mac? or pc?

g

PC.

You prob got the gist but edited my post above as words were missing.

thanks

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

are you using a powertap head unit too?

g

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Ascent? Or is that Mac only?

SQ

by SQ

gregclimbs wrote:are you using a powertap head unit too?

g

No, 705.

Simon

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

SQ wrote:No, 705.

Simon

Ascent is Mac only, as is my personal fave (for at least aesthetics...) trailrunnerX.

Using the Garmin alone, on a pc, there is no need to "download". The files are on the garmin (or at the least the memory card) and the 705 should show as a mass storage device on your pc when you plug it in.

Just copy over the TCX files (and BACK THEM UP!!!). Drag and drop in wko+ or open in topofusion.

Those two combined would be my PC pick of the litter....

g

SQ

by SQ

Hi Gregclimbs

Thanks so much for your help.

I have checked them out and WKO+ and topofusion (w backing up files) it is.

WKO+ has most of the analysis that I wanted but topofusion is great for the GPS breakdowns.

Thanks heaps

Simon

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

SQ wrote:I have checked them out and WKO+ and topofusion (w backing up files) it is.

No worries... FWIW, they both have 30 day trials.

g

SQ

by SQ

[quote="gregclimbs"

No worries... FWIW, they both have 30 day trials.

g[/quote]

Thanks, I will go for the trials.

Simon

TimW

by TimW

Sportstracks with the Training plugin is pretty good. It's got TSS, VI, FTP etc. You can view the graphs over time/distribution etc.

The power analysis isn't as detailed as something like WKO but you've also got the other benefits of keeping a logbook with GPS maps/usage of bike/components etc. It's also free to try.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com