Anyone know of a good inexpensive cyclocross bike?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Superlite

by Superlite

Looking for one that will get the job done without killing my wallet. Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Joel

by Joel

Superlite wrote:Looking for one that will get the job done without killing my wallet. Any suggestions?

The Empella frames cost about 500 euro with fork
It's the current world champions' frame

Superlite

by Superlite

Got a link to a site that sells them? What about complete build bikes?

bikenerd

by bikenerd

Ivan

by Ivan

The Empella frames cost about 500 euro with fork
It's the current world champions' frame

I thought that was not true b'cause in the newspapers you allways see him racing with a ridley. This is the reason ...

Riding a Ridley is costing Bart Wellens 1200 Euros a day

This past weekend Bart Wellens raced with his Ridley bikes once again, and not his Empella’s.
Bart’s three SpaarSelect teammates continued to ride their Empella’s, as was ordered by
the Belgian courts in October. As per the court ruling-every time Bart Wellens or one of his team
mates rides something other than the originally contracted Empella bikes this season, a fine of
1,200 Euro per day will be applied (or approx. US$1,400).

Empella Fietsen from the Dutch village of Erp, signed a two year sponsor agreement with the
SpaarSelect team in the summer 2002. This past summer, the new SpaarSelect manager Hans van
Kasteren signed a new deal with Ridley for bike sponsorship for this season. At the start of the
season, the entire team was riding Ridley’s, ignoring the original Empella contract. Only
after intervention by the Belgian courts, the team was forced to switch back, or pay 1200 Euro a
race fine..

Last week an appeal was heard in the case, but the result will not be known until mid
December. Until then the original verdict stands, which would put Empella in the position to
collect the money. After the appeal, Empella was notified that Wellens was going to ride a
Ridley this past weekend.

Ridley has been putting the pressure on SpaarSelect team as well since they too would like to see
their contract honored.

An Interesting detail from last weekend was Bart Wellens jersey which was bearing both
manufacturers logos.

As far as my information is right there's e reason why Kasterren signed a new contract with ridley, it seems that the Spaarselect-team was not satisfied about Empella.

Joel

by Joel

He changed a few weeks ago. But I think Empella, Ridley, Diamant,... are all about the same price and quality

Ivan

by Ivan

Cant argue about that, never ridden any of these frames. I can only say that Wellens changed to ridley becuase the empella's broke too easily ... according to my source.
But you can never know for sure unless you ride the bike.

cya
Ivan

Tsielio

by Tsielio

wrong source
he has never brokes an empella!
it are really good frames+forks

the bike changes of wellens are only about money... nothing else

JTC

by JTC

I wanted to give cross a try this winter and was looking for the cheapest bike I could get that was decent. Bought a Kona Jake the Snake. It's obviously not the same quality as some of the above frames, but good enought to start out on. Has mostly 105 stuff and the frame in alu. I paid less that $1000, which was about as cheap as I could find for a new one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeremyb

by jeremyb

Superlite wrote:Looking for one that will get the job done without killing my wallet. Any suggestions?

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=386

check out the above link $260 f/f and look at the other Redline's he's got. Theres a major US pro (Johnson? gullikson?) that rides redlines, you can go to their website for more info too.

jeremyb