Cannondale CAAD9 BB30

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

G'day all. Thought I'd post some details of the bike I built up recently. Since the majority of my racing is based on crits, I wanted something nice and stiff, but durable. Total weight is 7.88kg

http://usera.ImageCave.com/Hilikus/Bike ... C03490.JPG
http://usera.ImageCave.com/Hilikus/Bike ... C03492.JPG
http://usera.ImageCave.com/Hilikus/Bike ... C03494.JPG
http://usera.ImageCave.com/Hilikus/Bike ... C03495.JPG

Frame: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, 58cm
Fork: Cannondale Slice Ultra
Headset: Cane Creek 110IS
Cranks: SRAM Red, 53/39, 175mm, BB30
Shifters: SRAM Red
Brakes: SRAM Red
Front Derailleur: SRAM Red 34.9
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Red
Chain: SRAM PC-1090R
Cassette: SRAM PG-1090 11-26
Wheels (Racing): SRAM S60 (Have some 32 hole, 3x, handbuilts for everyday riding)
Skewers: SRAM (stock with wheels)
Tyres: Continental GP4000S
Tubes: Maxxis Ultralight with Lezyne valve extenders
Bars: 3T Rotundo Team 44cm
Stem: 3T ARX Team 110mm 6deg
Seat Post: 3T Doric Team, 27.2x350mm
Saddle: Fizik Antares
Bar Tape: Fizik Microtex
Bottle Cages: Lezyne Carbon
Pedals: Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL

Future changes include Time RXS Carbon pedals (very soon) and replacing the stock fork with a 3T Funda Team fork (not so soon). That should see it under 7.5kg. Might even investigate some tubulars for racing (the new 303's in the clydesdale variation look the ticket).

Reason for thinking about the new wheels is purely aesthetic. I feel there's too much going on, so some more subtle decals for the wheels would make the bike look nicer.[/code]
Shut up legs and do what I tell you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

lose the fizik finishing tape! bravo, otherwise. must ride nice.

Birch

by Birch

Love it!

How do you like the Anteres on there? My Toupe just doesn't seem to be working for me on my CAAD9 BB30.

upside

by upside

Sweeeeeet you did a great job :D

santabarbara

by santabarbara

LOVE IT.

I agree, though, lose the fizik tape.
Aluminum is the new black

merkyworks

by merkyworks

very nice! so hows the SRAM wheels working out, curious on how they preform

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

merkyworks wrote:very nice! so hows the SRAM wheels working out, curious on how they preform

I'd like to know too, as I quite like them :oops:

And I'm wondering where the extra weight is, as it seems to my (untrained) eye that it's pretty WW.

Also, an 11-26 cass is an interesting one...I think I'd like to give somthing like that a go on a 53-39 and see how that climbs...

(btw that bike would pretty much fit me perfectly, where do you live again... :twisted: and how tall are you? Just curious re: the 175mm cranks).

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

The heavy things are forks and the wheels. The SRAM wheels are around the 1800g mark, so definitely not light, but the crit racing in Brisbane is very flat and the corners are generally smooth and open, so very little acceleration is needed out of every corner.

The wheels are very nice. Very stiff, solid in cornering with a nice braking surface. They ride harsher than my 32H 3x Open Pro hand builts, but they feel very fast and rolling along at 35km/h they spin up really easily to race pace and hold their speed well. They are my first set of deep wheels, so I don't have much to compare them to, but they feel like they roll noticeably easier at speeds above 30km/h. The harshness probably comes down more to the 25c tyres on the hand builts vs the 23c on the SRAMs.

I'm actually considering a new set of wheels to replace both the SRAM S60's and the Open Pro's. Something like DT 240 or White Industries H2 hubs on IRD Cadence Aero rims, 28H front and rear. Lighter than both, more aero than the Open Pro's and more usable than the S60's. I'm paranoid about breaking a spoke on the low spoke count wheels and having an unrideable wheel 60kms from home, which is why I got the Open Pro's in the first place. As a flat crit racing wheel though, I can't fault the S60's.

Oh, and I'm 185cm tall.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I swear if you weight around the 76kg mark then you could be me! :lol: (except you're a bloody Queenslander, and two in my family is more then enough ;) ).

Just checked out those IDR cadence aero rims - looks very impressive. Especially with the build you're planning for them! You going to order then online or get them from someone in Oz?
Would love to hear how it goes. What approximate cost and weight you thinking it'll come to for the set?
Building them yourself??

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

Will be sourcing it all locally. If I go 240 hubs with Aerolite spokes it should be around 1530g. With White Industries H2 hubs it would be around 1550g. Either way it's a nice 300g off wheel weight, with a significant chunk of that in the rim. Haven't figured out a price yet, but I'd guess they'll be around $1700.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That will be great weight wise!

Not interested in edge rims? From what I see on here they're very highly rated!

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

IRD Cadence Aero rims are $150 locally. A set of Edge clinchers built to DT 240 hubs with Aerolite spokes would run me $3500 from CyclingEdge.com.au (Australian Edge Composites, Parlee and Moots importer). Double the price for maybe 50-100g weight difference. Not on my wage! If I won the lottery though...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Holy $hit! Had no idea they got that expensive!

The hubs are the pricey part of this equation it would seem then...?

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

Yeh, the 240's are around $900 for the pair at normal retail prices. The Aerolite spokes are certainly not cheap, about $9 each. Most shops give a decent discount if you get all the parts from them and get them to build them, but I could save a chunk of money by using DT Competition spokes instead of DT Aerolites. Sapim CX-Rays are a similar price to the Aerolites.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bJay

by bJay

Hi|ikus wrote:A set of Edge clinchers built to DT 240 hubs with Aerolite spokes would run me $3500 from CyclingEdge.com.au (Australian Edge Composites, Parlee and Moots importer)

Last time I spoke with Cycling edge about such a build they told me $5000 AUD :shock:

When I asked Edge Composites directly about pricing in Australia I got an angry and agressive call from Cycling Edge after 6pm on a Sunday night asking me where I got off speaking to Edge and other wheel builders directly and demanding I tell him the names of builders who gave me cheaper quotes... :roll:
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein