Have anyone used the Yokozuna reaction cable housing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rayhuang

by rayhuang

Sold me-Clark's cables for my next rebuild. The supplied cables with ym SRAM Rival 09 shifters has left the shifting a bit sluggish and the brakes the same. A very, very meticulous mechanic and I worked on it.

I think those cables are to blame!! Hard to toss brand new cables and unwrap new bar tape though. Well, when you need ot be frugal anyways.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

did you happen to figure this part out? i'm installing mine now and have the same question.

it looks like both the brake & shifter cables slide right into the brake/shifter mechanism without needing ferrules.

anybody have tips for installing this stuff on sram red? thanks!

ryfry07 wrote:Were you guys able to fit the included brake ferrules into the Red shifters? They seemed way too big to me, and I didn't want to force them.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

anyone?

ryfry07

by ryfry07

I put the brake cables in without the ferrules... But that's just because I didn't know any better.

Seems to be working fine, but I'm guessing their life span might be shorter?

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

got everything installed just fine, mounting came out nice & clean.. thanks for the tips, esp. from the fine folks at fairwheel bikes. :D

haven't ridden it yet, but sure shifts nicely while on the trainer. kind of odd, but shifter clicks seems louder, if that makes sense? very crisp, and quick.

ryfry07

by ryfry07

So what'd you end up doing? No ferrules?

fa63

by fa63

The cables that came stock with my 2009 Rival shifters have been working great for me so far, no problems shifting or braking. I might give Yokozuna a try next year when it is time for new cables.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

brake housing: no ferrules in sram levers or at frame braze-on's; silver ferrules (as supplied by yokozuna) going into brake calipers (into the barrel adjuster).

shifter housing: ferrules at all ends of each piece of housing (they fit fine).

ryfry07 wrote:So what'd you end up doing? No ferrules?

cswi9367

by cswi9367

i installed them into my sram red kit last night. wow, i cant believe the difference. i had installed new gore ride-on kit in january on this bike so i wasnt coming from old nasty cables either.

the brake feel is amazing. the shifting is snappier than ever.

i suggest them to anyone.

Cosmo

by Cosmo

On SRAM you need ferruels at all points, shift and brake. Depending on your lever position/bar curve it can be hard to get the brake housing in-just loosen the three cover plate screws and then insert. The brakes work much better with ferruels-over time the end of the housing will deform and the brakes get spongy.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

rode it, works great--better than stock, that's for sure. looks sharp too (at least the grey/black brake housing looks unique, and the shift housing, while plain black, looks just fine).

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I have been switching my DA7900 bikes to these and the braking is off the hook. I don't feel like I am loosing any power in braking coming from Record 10 levers, M5 brakes, and Nokon housing. As for the shifting, it seems that some people are griping about the DA7900 shifting being spotty, but mine has been tight as a drum...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

look at the diameter of that freakin' brake cable compared to the stock stuff! :shock: i honestly didn't have any complaints about stock cables for braking, but hey, this is indeed better like you mentioned. what i really cared about is shifting, and this is for sure crisper. not sure how much bigger diameter the derail. cables are, but maybe there's a few other tasty ingredients in the manufacturing process that simply makes it a better system overall.

boysa

by boysa

Is anyone using Yokozuna with a Campagnolo? It seems like most people have switched over for SRAM or Shimano, but I need to replace my Campy cables and was wondering if I would see the same improvement everyone else is raving about. Thanks!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

James_London

by James_London

Can anyone confirm if the Yokozuna Reaction cable system or new Nokon is compatible with 11-speed and the narrower hole on the levers?

Thanks