New Road Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cyco

by Cyco

This could well be a cost is not a major factor in the build, but it has to fit my warped morphology (frame 59seat*61tt with 71.5 seat angle, 180mm cranks and 135mm stem). Also needs to be fairly stiff (overweight at 92kg)- Don't ask for much do I? ;)

Frame: Calfee Dragonfly, Casati Arte, Parlee Z1x or Crumpton composite
Fork: Ozzo Pro (lite?), Easton EC90 (Slx?), Stork Stilleto or Alpha Q Sub 3
Headset: FRM, Extralight or Chris King
Stem: Syntace F99 (Ti bolts), ITM THE Stem, Deda Mag 00 or FRM Web Stem
Handle Bar: Schmolke Carbon
Seat Post: Schmolke Carbon or AX lightness Combination
Saddle: SLR or AX Lightness combination
Seat post clamp: BTP carbon or Extralight
Cranks/ BB: Negmass, Tune Bigfoot / Skyline Ceramic BB, Dura-Ace or FSA Carbon Team Issue or CAT/ FRM BB or American Classic BB
C-Rings: TA or Carbon(?) (or DA if using DA Cranks)
Chain: Wipperman Ti
Cassette: Tiso, Effeti or TA
Wheels: Lightweight (D&O), ADA or Reynolds Stratus-DV-UL rims on Tune hubs
Tyres: Vittoria Corsa Seta CXs, TUFO S3s or Andri Degauste (sp?)
Pedals: Keywin Ti
Shifters: Dura-Ace 10sp (Not as pretty as Record but they work so well)
Derailliers: Dura-Ace (Rear with Carbon back Plate)
Cables:Nokon Outers with Carbon Cables (who made those cables again?)
Brakes: Advanced Pro Carbon, AX Lightness, Cat Claws or Dura-Ace
Bar Tape: Cinelli Cork (2 rolls- I have large hands)
Bottle Cages: BTP carbon to suit Std bottle

All coments/ sugestions welcome :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ks04us

by ks04us

Your 92Kg.? Your going to have some flex in the Schmolke handle bar, also I'm not sure on this, but I think the Ax-Lightness saddles have a weight limit of 85kg. I think you would have a little bit more flex in the wheels if you went with ADA or Lightweights. I would also go with the Ouzo Pro fork. Just some educated guesses, don't mean to offend you in any way but you are looking for the optimum performance, so I thought I share my thoughts.

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

With your weight, yu need to make compromises. Most of the parts yu mentioned are not strong enough for you. You are too heavy. Lose 10 kg and than yu can buy that thing. I dont know how tall you are but i would suggest yu buy a mountainbike first .....sorry if that sounds hard, but its the truth.

:oops:

spytech

by spytech

first off the Schmolke handle bars have to go, too flexy for your weight, take a look at kestrel ems/sl one piece construction lifetime warranty (and i still think they might be a little flexy for you). Syntace F99 good choice. AX lightness Combination - they customize to your weight (i think). i would def. go with the Scott C1R frame, and please do not get the light fork or Easton SLX. the storck stiletto is very strong for its 330grams.

forget about the Negmass cranks unless you want to be a test dummy. go with fsa superlites on a frm or AC BB. stay away from ti chains, you can do just as good with the new campy 04 chain with hollow pins. if you want good looking brakes and are willing to wait months for them go with carbon if not go with cat claws, they work good and are just as light.

other than that i would say go campy - but if you like dura ace, then go for it.

Eric W.

by Eric W.

With the frame - if price doesn´t matter - take into consideration the following: Moots VaMoots, Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel Ti and Strongframes Hypalite Ti. You can have all these customized. Give these guys a call. Won´t regret it. You might also check out the Sofa King URO Scandium (chainwheel.com).

Fork: Time Stiff, Post: Moots (nothing else)!

Cyco

by Cyco

HaddaFahn, I have a MtB (I have 2 - but the hardtail dosnt get ridden since I got my Ellsworth Id) and go XC riding nearly every Sat morning! The problem is the work I'm doing during the week - that is going to allow me to afford to afford it - is not alloing me to ride mid-week :?

By the time the bike gets here I would like to drop 10-12kg off my 193cm (6'3") frame. So hopefully Stefan Schmolke and Axle at AX Lightness can build me parts that suit.

Moots and IF make Very nice stuff and I would consider the seatpost (Baring the weight penalty), but I have never a Ti frame and the Carbons are lighter - although they may be prettier than the composites (esp the Calfee). Scandium frames are lighter, but dont last as long.

Unfortunatly the FSA superlights dont yet come in 180mm :(

Keep the sugestions coming...
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Eric W.

by Eric W.

Don´t know why you wouldn´t go for Ti. Moots offers the VaMoots SL with 6/4 tubing. 2.6 lbs / 55cm. To me that sounds pretty light. On the Moots forum Butch has explained the benefits of Reynolds 6/4 tubing. Also Carl Strong offers the custom Hyalite Peak Ti with 6/4 tubes. Give them a call if you want to know about more specs. If only carbon is an option then there won´t be a lot except the Dragonfly to choose from .... . You might also check the Seven Elium.

spytech

by spytech

Eric W. wrote:You might also check the Seven Elium.

seven has a weight restriction on that frame. :x

Eric W.

by Eric W.

Yeah, but its 225 lbs. Moreover, I thought Cyco wanted to start loosing weight. So this shouldn´t become an issue.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

If youre loaded go with Parlee, Richard Sachs or Vanilla, but they all have 6 month to 1 year waiting list...

www.richardsachs.com
www.vanillabicycles.com

Eric W.

by Eric W.

Just found out that the weight limit for the Moots posts is 240 lbs. So this shouldn´t be a problem either.

Cyco

by Cyco

Whilst both Sasha White (Vanilla) and Richard Sachs build beautiful steel bikes as does Daryl Llewellyn http://www.llewellynbikes.com/main.htm and David Bolm http://www.bohemianbicycles.com/ but in the quest for the a true weight weenie bike in my size steel has to be ruled out of this project :(

As a rider who loves a high quality steel frame I am hoping to have a project bike in this area (thinking a Sachs / Llewellyn/ Bohemian with DA 25th Anniversary / Shimano 100th Anniversary).
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Superlite

by Superlite

Why DA 25th? For the same price or less you can get 2004 10 speed. Extra gear and slighly less weight. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com