BMC SLC01 Pro Machine 2009 Über Build / Team Replica+

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AssosFables

by AssosFables

The Story

After road riding for a year with a mid-range bike which I like, but doesn't really do much for me, I decided it was time to get something I really wanted. From the first road bike specific magazine I read BMC bikes caught my eye. As a designer the whole Swiss thing is very appealing, and the spiritual connection (now a financial / sponsorship one) with another of my favourite brands - Assos - helped too.

My plan originally was to take the good parts off my Planet-X - DA 7900, Ritchey finishing kit - and put them on a new frame. I also looked at Cervelos, Specialized etc but nothing had the appeal of the BMC. The only thing that put me off was that to me there is a distinct package of what components go on a BMC frame, none of which I already had.

Then during my research of the BMC I stumbled across this pic. Bam. Perfection:

This changed my plans straight away, this is what I wanted. I downloaded a super high res version off the BMC site and made a list of what parts I would need to build this bike. I was able to get good deals on most of the bits - Ribble had a 15% sale on so the Super Record was a good price, and I secured the EC90 Aero wheels for more than a third off RRP, albeit 2008 models without the ceramic bearings. The only concession to the picture was the bars - I'm not sure on the shape of the EC90 SLX3s, and I really like the Ritchey Evos, so I tracked down another pair. At just over £50 they were a third of the price of new SLX3s too.

As this was not the most original build, I added a few details from the BMC team bikes such as the US / Swiss flags on the bar finishing tape, the Cateye computer (not yet fitted), white Speedplays and Blackburn cages. Fortunately BMC and their team have impeccable taste so there aren't any products they use which I wouldn't. :)

Build Sheet - Spec & Weights

Actual weight on the scales: 15lbs, 7oz (7kg dead).

Some details

Exactly 45mm of tape to avoid valve extender rattle:

Team issue style flag bar finishing tape:

These go to eleven:

Lots more photos on my flickr page
Last edited by AssosFables on Tue May 19, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Needs an EC90 seatpost to finish it off, but otherwise stunning 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AXERA DO7

by AXERA DO7

Looks perfect to me well done, I have heard early versions of these frames are a bit flexi have you found this with the '09 model?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That looks absolutely outstanding!

And I really admire you taking all those pic's before riding it - god the temptation to just get straight out there must have been terrible!

I especially like the distance shot of the bike, that was very cool.

Only thing I would have is a black instead of white saddle. But then i like the look of black saddle/white tape :P

Also seems Ribble is out of Campy SR grouppos :(

morephyous

by morephyous

One of the nicest BMCs around! Maybe change the cages to Campag :lol:

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Just perfect but as mentioned above it need another seatpost!
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I am in love! Kicking BMC, very stylish. Very jealous!

kgt

by kgt

Rich-Ti wrote:Needs an EC90 seatpost to finish it off, but otherwise stunning 8)

+1

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Great looking bike and pics! Looks like pages from the BMC catalog.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

AssosFables

by AssosFables

Cheers guys! :D

Tinea Pedis wrote:That looks absolutely outstanding!

And I really admire you taking all those pic's before riding it - god the temptation to just get straight out there must have been terrible!

I especially like the distance shot of the bike, that was very cool.

Only thing I would have is a black instead of white saddle. But then i like the look of black saddle/white tape :P

Also seems Ribble is out of Campy SR grouppos :(

I've not ridden it yet... Only got the pedals yesterday and it's rained non-stop since :( Apparently if I go out in the rain my EC90s will fill with water and I'll be forced to rate them 1 star on roadbikereview.com... ;)

I actually bought all the groupset parts as separate items - it worked out a bit cheaper (the 15% offer doesn't apply to groupsets) and allowed me to get the Chorus cassette (which will last longer and is cheaper than the SR one).

As I've gone from a compact to standard double, I went for a 12-27 rather than a 12-25 to help a bit. I'm riding with a club now so getting faster and stronger and hopefully won't need that 27 cog for too long!

munk93

by munk93

That is defently the way a BMC shall look like. :D

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I don't think you would actually lose too much with a 12-25 in the first place.

Maybe 11-25 for the next cassette...?

And I'll keep that in mind for the build - as there are only certain parts of SR that I really want. Plus ordering a whole grouppo would make me subject to all the import costs associated with brining it into Oz.

Fingers crossed the rain stops!

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

I see you live in Chester.....where do you go out riding?

I'll have to keep an eye for you.....don't see many bikes of that quality in North Wales....so you should be easy to spot...

tochnics

by tochnics

solid ride u have mate
bmc always looks the best
i would love to see the weight with some real light wheels
i am geusing u could go to 5,8 kg if you would like to spend silly money on parts but its rock solid now
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

AssosFables

by AssosFables

Redddraggon wrote:I see you live in Chester.....where do you go out riding?

I'll have to keep an eye for you.....don't see many bikes of that quality in North Wales....so you should be easy to spot...

If I'm on my own I head out to Cheshire - Macc Forest, Mow Cop etc, but Tuesdays and Sundays I ride with Deeside Olympic.

I also commute to Ewloe each day.

tochnics wrote:solid ride u have mate
bmc always looks the best
i would love to see the weight with some real light wheels
i am geusing u could go to 5,8 kg if you would like to spend silly money on parts but its rock solid now

Thanks!

Next month I'll make a start on some of the extra bits I didn't need to finish the build, but will help reduce weight. Lightweight skewers are first I think, then maybe the EC90 post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com