Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

krz

by krz

jvs wrote:Batavus Competition - 1977
Ishiwata 022 tubing. 1th generation Shimano 600, fully original down to the Vredestein Sprint Vederlicht tyres.

do I see an Ofmega Competizione crankset on this bike? or is it another yet incarnation of this Campagnolo clone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

It is not an Ofmega but an SR (Sakae Ringyo) Apex. I added some detail images to the original post. Please click to see a larger version.

Wildabeast

by Wildabeast

QuattroAssini wrote:Well, I better add my own to this batch of great looking ferrous rides.

There is a thread on it here.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hlight=p21

Ritchey P-21 frame - custom repaint with stock sticker set
Cook E-Cranks with Real Chainrings
Ritchey Ti bottom bracket
Sram-Gripshift 9.0 (the original/first high end mtb set they sold)
XTR brake levers
Avid 2.0 V-brakes
Ritchey stem over a Ritchey fuzzy logic headset
Vetta seat atop an American Classic post
Manitou FS fork (Converted to 1" threadless)
Bontrager tubeless Racelite wheelset
XTR cassette
Bontrager Jones tires

I'm too heavy for this frame, but it feels like an old pair of jeans when I 'pull it on'. [/img]

I dig your P21. Those are such cool frames. I looked for one for a long time, but since I have the S-works I don't really need one. If I found one for the right price however...

Nice work,
Will
I can't ride that, I'll break it...

Fitnerd

by Fitnerd

Holy cow. That white road frame is sweet. Those tiny seat stays make me a bit wary, but I just might have to call this guy when I'm ready for my next project.

andyamo

by andyamo

I have a custom steel Dolan (UK) made from a mix of Deda tubes. TT=620mm, ST=600/73.5deg, HT=220/73. I couldnt come close to this geo from a stock frame, and couldnt afford custom carbon. Its heavy and flexy though.

My next frame will be custom carbon, and I`ll go for a slightly shorter TT and HT, and a lower BB (to improve stability on rough 55mph descents).

I dont understand why more people dont go for custom frames - there must be one or two tweaks in their current geo, or a geo combi they cant find stock, so why not go for custom?

andyamo

by andyamo

andyamo wrote:I have a custom steel Dolan (UK) made from a mix of Deda tubes. TT=620mm, ST=600/73.5deg, HT=220/73. I couldnt come close to this geo from a stock frame, and couldnt afford custom carbon. Its heavy and flexy though.

My next frame will be custom carbon, and I`ll go for a slightly shorter TT and HT, and a lower BB (to improve stability on rough 55mph descents).

I dont understand why more people dont go for custom frames - there must be one or two tweaks in their current geo, or a geo combi they cant find stock, so why not go for custom?

Having seen other Deda steel frames posted, mine looks like its all deda16.5, which makes it a bargain at £450 (3yrs old). I`d recommended Dolan steel frames for UK riders, although Terry told me he gets his customs done in belgium and italy. The welding and alignment are spot on

secularist

by secularist

.:Jimbo:. wrote:My Weight Weenie Crusher!

NOS TSX Ciocc built up with C-Record

as a Ciocc was my first love...this is quite possibly the sexiest thing I've ever seen...
I miss my IndyFab Crown Jewel...

JesseD

by JesseD

I've just bought a 1980's Graham Weigh frame and forks, it's made out of Reynolds 653 throughout with I believe Campagnolo dropouts. I paid the grand sum of £50 for it.

Apparently it needs a new headset and by the look of it a respray. I'm going to build up as a fixed wheel commuter with mudguards etc for now.

I'll post pics when I get it.

riunation

by riunation

I think even with the modern components, she still looks great! And the ride is the best
Attachments
misc 001-1.jpg

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Just for someone trying to keep an eye on steel frames on flea bay and places like that, what bands outside of the usual suspects shoud I keep a look out for?

crashracer

by crashracer

Here's my steel rig. It's built of over sized steel TrueTemper S3. 3.0lbs. Fork is AlphaQ sub3. Campy Record. Custom 97mm ti square taper BB spindle and shortened Speedplay axles for extra low-q and cornering ground clearance. Complete, the bike weighs 15.5lbs. It's very stiff and handles like a track bike. Not your typical comfy carbon century bike. This bike sends the road texture to your fingertips so you can feel and maneuver the course with precision and confidence.
Attachments
DSC_0157.jpg
DSC_0163-4.jpg

Fitnerd

by Fitnerd

crashracer wrote:Here's my steel rig.

Man oh man that is sweet! Upgrade the ARX to the carbon version with white stripe and it'll be perfect! That red stripe just doesn't match IMHO.

tochnics

by tochnics

@ crashracer: change the bleu stickers and the white bartap and i would drool a lot more anytime when i see your bike
its just personal cosmetic but otherwise its just perfect
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

Scott B

by Scott B

built this jamis dragon over the winter, 22-ish pounds. rides great!
Attachments
dragon small side.JPG
dragon small front.JPG

fa63

by fa63

Juanmoretime wrote:http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6215

I had to add this to this thread. Both the road bike and the tt bike are to die for!

WOW, his bikes are some of the best looking I have ever seen. Thanks for the link!

Here is what the bikes look like, for those too lazy to click on links:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com