Can anybody beat my disc/tri spoke combo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AndyA

by AndyA

Fellow weight watchers

I am looking for the lightest disc wheel and tri spoke combo.

Can anybody beat the Falcon Accell II disc wheel at 679 grams for a 700c tub from www.falconsports.com. combined with the Nimble Crosswind tri-spoke at 710 grams for a 700c (655 grams for a 650) tub from www.nimble.net ?????

Cheers AndyA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Triathlete

by Triathlete

It's my understanding that (although they perform well in wind tunnels) tri-spoke wheels do not perform well (i.e., aren't as aero) in outdoor situations. Spoked deep rim wheels (e.g. Zipp 404s or something along those lines) may work better.

Also... if you are looking for an aero vs. weight comparison, you MIGHT want to check out the latest Zipp disk... Although I'm not sure about the weight, they have finally figured out that a dimpled surface (like a golf ball) generates less friction through the air. Heaver than the Accell II but more aero... I guess it really depends on what you are trying to do (e.g., Wind tunnel, time trial, triathlon, flat/hills, wind, etc.)

To answer your question. No I can't beat it... :)

-gc

by Guest

Cheers for your reply

Maybe they will put dimples on the Falcon !

I have found a lighter combo of wheels with a X-Treme Aero Elite Trispoke on the front, coming in at 690g for a 700c.

AndyA

Cyco

by Cyco

Not sure X-Treme continues to exist. You might want to check, last time I tried to contact them (~8 months ago) they were no longer listed in Australian telephone directeries.

by Guest

Cyco

I think they go by the name X-lab also.
I have found a couple of places that profess to sell them such as:

http://www.nytro.com/bike-wheels-xlab.html

and

http://www.bobozone.com/xtremetrispoke.htm

Has anybody seen an independent review of the X-Treme Aero Elite Trispoke? At 690g for a 700c front tubular it is advertised as the lightest trispoke in the world? But is it aero?

Cheers

AndyA

Cyco

by Cyco

X-Lab and X-Treme are different companies. The wheels on Nytro are a deep section (X-Treme had Al braking surface), 4-Spoke (X-Treme was 3-Spoke), Disc (X-Treme was flat). Bobozone is a attempted X-Treme stockist. X-Treme made some very intresting claims in the past regarding technology utilised by them and none of their 3-Spokes I have seen would be anywhere near the claimed weight.

by Guest

I was interested in getting a Falcon disc last season, however after reasearching the Accell 2 I heard that it was really around 1000g and weighed on the Falcon site without a cassette body and hub internals.

Cyco

by Cyco

All Zipp wheel weights are without axle and bearings... Makes both rather hard to ride ;)

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Cyco wrote:All Zipp wheel weights are without axle and bearings... Makes both rather hard to ride ;)

Is this really true? :shock:

Cyco

by Cyco

This was the reason I was given by the former Zipp distributor in Australia when I challanged them over the weights not coming in near claimed.

jtc

by jtc

That does not seem to be the case with the ZIPP Wheels I have. I have a set of 303's and the weight claimed pretty much maches the true weight.

Cyco

by Cyco

From my weighings the new spoked wheels dont use this selective weighting technique, but the discs (over which the question was raised) still apear too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Woofer

by Woofer

I have an Accel II track wheel, weight without a cog and tire but with a couple of layers of glue and track nuts on it was about 850 grams.