Stan's tubeless disc wheelset

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

noiz

by noiz

Anyone tried this wheelset? Sounds very light but is the rim strong enough? Use: XC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

noiz

by noiz

What else... maybe Tune king kong hubs with sapim spokes and mavic x317 rims?!

masterskier

by masterskier

Sapim rock don't they? I'm trying to convert more people, but they just wont listen. Get the CX-Ray spokes w/alloy self-locking nips, Stans rims, DT Hugi front hub, and a WTB Laserdis Lite rear hub. I have this, and it is THE best wheelset EVER.
Riding bikes is fun.

yoko

by yoko

masterskier wrote:Sapim rock don't they? I'm trying to convert more people, but they just wont listen. Get the CX-Ray spokes w/alloy self-locking nips, Stans rims, DT Hugi front hub, and a WTB Laserdis Lite rear hub. I have this, and it is THE best wheelset EVER.

how long have you been using this set-up? What's the weight of the wheels? Also is it good for big riders?

I'm also trying to build a nice wheel set-up but can't decide what parts to include.

masterskier

by masterskier

I've been using it about 4 months, and I have no complaints at all about it.
I'm not sure of the weight, but it's probably about the lightest wheelset money can buy for mountain biking. It should work decently for big riders, as it's really stiff when built correctly. If you are over 200 pounds, you should consider getting a wheelset meant for freeriding, as it will last longer. The Sapim spokes are the lightest that are made, but they are also the strongest that are made, so no worries there.

If you are under 200 pounds, and you ride XC or race XC, THIS IS THE WHEELSET FOR YOU. Hope that helps. :)
Riding bikes is fun.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Skier - How has the wheelset been holding up?? What kind of riding do you do and on what frame??

I am spec'ing my new bike and have thought about a similar wheel combo, but I'm concerned with the rims not having eyelets. I don't want to be replacing spokes every month because they pulled out.

My thought for the wheel build was Stan's rims, ??? spokes, DT 240s front and rear hubs (to be used with XTR disc brakes).

Thanks!!

masterskier

by masterskier

They hold up very well. I race and train XC on them, and on some pretty rough trails too. Use Sapim CX-Ray spokes and alloy self-locking nipples from Sapim. They are the strongest. Use XT rotors. Some links below. The spin lite guy builds really good wheels, but I listed him because he sells Sapim spokes.

www.sapim.be/

www.spinlitecycling.com
Riding bikes is fun.

masterskier

by masterskier

I was worried about the lack of eyelets too but it hasn't seemed to matter too much. In 4 months of riding every day on my MTB I have only pulled one spoke. I can even manage to pull spokes on eyeleted wheels, so this is amazing.
Riding bikes is fun.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Thanks for the info skier. I might have a set built as race wheels and use something a bit beefier for training.

Why do you say to use the XT rotors?? Aren't the XTR's lighter? Will the XT rotors work with the XTR calipers??

masterskier

by masterskier

The XTR rotors are splined, and therefore only work with the splined, XTR hubs. The XT rotors are compatible with the XTR brake calipers.
Riding bikes is fun.

Knut

by Knut

The XTR rotors will also work with Hügi 240s center lock hubs with a claimed weight of 136 g & 258 g for front and rear respectively.

masterskier

by masterskier

Cool, I didn't know that DT made hubs that would work. I should have waited and bought the 240's with the center-lock.
Riding bikes is fun.

Knut

by Knut

Wish I did the just that. I'm currently on XTR hubs with X3.1 rims - not very light....

noiz

by noiz

Haha don't trust that!!!!!!!

Knut

by Knut

Don't trust what Mads?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com