Zero Gravity QR opening wide enough for 23mm?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ned kelly

by ned kelly

G'Day guys. I am braving a post on the emotive topic so please bear with this newbie.

I am thinking about trying a pair of ZG06TI brakes but interested in some advise. i have read plenty of the posts on the site and there are certainly differing opinions to say the least. I am an 80kg rider on a sub 7kg bike with alloy rims running 700-23 tyres. Firstly, are these likely to pull me up satisfactorily in a non-racing environment? What are the most suitable pads for these on alloy rims? And finally there seems to be some concerns with how far the quicj release opens on these for removing the front tyre,is this likely to effect me given my tyre choice (i think my rims are about 18mm wide). Even with DA7800 i have to pull my wheel through the pads to remove. I really love the concept of the ZG's and of course the weight savings but I guess there would be no point persuing them if they are going to cause me grief.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi,

I took the liberty to edit your topic title a little so the question was more clear for people reading it.

As a user of the 0G brakes with ( think) a similar posture. [I'm 84 kilo's] I used the brakes on Al rims with the stock Koolstop pads and Swissstop greens. Both with 21 and 23 mm tires. IIRC with the 23mm tires, michelin pro 2 races, I needed to "help" the wheels a little while removing them. With the 21mm tires no problems. I found the Swissstop green pads more aggressive while braking. ie having more "bite" at the rim.
Right now I use them with CF rims and Swissstop yellow pads. the Tubs are 22 mm wide, and also with these. no problems with removing the wheels.

I hope this quick reply works for you
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ned kelly

by ned kelly

G'Day Frankie B, thanks for the fast response and editing the topic-makes sense even to me now! Do you find the stoppping power OK? Apart from setting them up right with cable lengths etc do they function reliably on the road with regard to centering-it seems some posters here have issues with this? MY DA7800 never cause any issues and for that reason I am probably nuts for wanting to change them but 100grms+ and some fine engineering is really tempting.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ned, the thing with super light boutique parts is that they come with some with their own "manual". I don't like to say downfalls, I'd rather see it like something that is inevitable when one tries to design something light.
The brakes do not self center when they get a small hit when you install your wheel for instance. Boutique parts are not as "hassle free" as the shimano brakes for instance.
They function very well. they even stopped me properly when I fly down a mountain in Italy or bomb down a hill here in Holland. I think they are sufficient and strong enough. It is up to the user to make that decision though.

I'd say do it and don't look back. If you can live with a few differences to the shimanos you will like them.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Starter

by Starter

Zero Gravitys
Such beautiful craftsmanship
Such an awful brake
Oof.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Wow, starter. Thanks for that constructive post. :wink:

Some people dislike them. some do.

Starter

by Starter

You must admit that
They aren't very strong and need
Constant adjustment

Fans will concede this
They say it does not bug them
Too much work for me

Many love light brakes
In that area I'll take
Weight over trouble
Oof.

Cyco

by Cyco

Haiku needs flowing verse
Starter humility is key
To opening soul

ZG really pushed the market forward with these and as with all truly market leading products the ability to have absolute perfection is low.

The real issue ned seems to be having here is that he runs his brakes to tight. If a DA do not clear then they are either set for a very narrow rim, or the tyre isn't a true 23.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

My experience with ZG brakes is that if they are set up properly they stop very very strongly. When I first got mine I set them up fairly close to the rims which is my standard practice. After not being too happy with the power I read some stuff on the net (here and elsewhere) and realized that the cam design increases the leverage as more cable is pulled. The proper way to set up ZG brakes is such that there is about twice the distance from the pad to the rim as I usually use (3mm on each side or more). Set up this way, they have very good power and feel (although the feel is not nearly as good as 7800 the overall power is similar) and the tires come out easily too since the spacing is wider. Because of the cam, with 3 mm spacing the lever does not bottom on the bar as it would with standard brakes and this much space.

An additional tip is that generally rear brakes are too powerful. With the ZG brakes this is an easy problem to fix. I just set the back brake up so that the pads are closer to the rim than the fronts and that gives less leverage and less chance of locking the rear. It does make the rear tire a little tighter to get out but I can get full size 23's (Pro Race II) out with just a little rubbing.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Starter

by Starter

Cyco wrote:Haiku needs flowing verse
Starter humility is key
To opening soul

Personal attacks
Make one appear unable
To debate the facts
Oof.

C-40

by C-40

forget the poetry...

I have had the original issue zg's since the first year of issue and my take on them is that they are "fine" for rolling terrain and longer steeper declines when ridden with lots of space- meaning not in a group situation. My campy 10 brakes had a much greater ability to bring the bike to a quick halt in an emergency situation. That said, I have never been in trouble with these brakes but I could easily imagine a situation where I would be in trouble.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I have ZG's on two bikes (including Negative G...)

I havent had to adjust them at all after set up.

In fact I've had them on a half dozen bikes and have not had to go back and adjust them on any.

The moulation of ZG and KCNC are not for everyone. Guys that like something stiffer can use Neg G's, TRP or EE (which are probably the best aftermarket brake available right now).

The QR feature for SRAM and Shimano is the weakest point on the brake I think, but it's not horrible. Personally I don't set my brakes up for wheel removal, I set them up to ride and with that, they're snug getting 23's past but it's not a "no go". It just takes a wiggle.

4cmd3

by 4cmd3

PezTech

What are these "EE" you speak of? :)
thanks!

Rasmus
Administrator

by Rasmus

PezTech wrote:I have ZG's on two bikes (including Negative G...)

I havent had to adjust them at all after set up.

In fact I've had them on a half dozen bikes and have not had to go back and adjust them on any.

Don't tell Charles, but I have to agree with him on this one. I have not had to adjust the one set I still have, except for the initial setup or when change cables, etc. They are now doubling as TT brakes on my TT bike, and they still don't need constant adjusting.

So, no, I will not admit to having to adjust them constantly.
- Papa R. Fresh

corky

by corky

4cmd3 wrote:PezTech

What are these "EE" you speak of? :)
thanks!

the search facility is your friend....... nevertheless...

http://www.eecycleworks.com

PS @PEZ not trying to steal your thunder

PPS I'd like to try some

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com