Have anyone used the Yokozuna reaction cable housing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nycmtber

by nycmtber

todibble wrote:Your post made me curious so I checked out our product. 250 euros for cables/housing? I think I know why people dont use them...

I said the exact same thing in the PM, but also asked how much to the US :D

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It may look expensive but it is not if it would last a lifetime.
Does it? :lol:

False ecomomies?

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

fdegrove wrote:It may look expensive but it is not if it would last a lifetime.
Does it? :lol:

Yes, I so no reason why they wouldn't last 10 or 20 years or more... that's one of the advantages & I'm going to be marketing them as housing you can take from bike to bike. Provided you swap out the liner every few years, apply some new heatshrink if needed and replace the cables + plastic ferrules.

By far the most expensive pieces are the ceramic bits. There are 780 individual pieces in a complete set of lines... how many parts are there in a full ceramic bearing? Granted they are made to a higher tolerance, but people are paying hundreds for those. For that price you get get custom made lines - no pfaffing about threading beads on.

Nevertheless, I'm considering lowering the price to encourage more orders. What about a special offer for weightweenie members? I don't want to be seen as hijacking the thread and/or spamming though, so you'll have to PM me for details.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

rikdewy

by rikdewy

I like the idea of a reuseable housing, but that price is prohibitive.

If you were changing bikes, you would probably want to adjust length.. Is this possible?
It's all about the bike! well nearly all.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Yes, it's easier to change to a shorter length. Simply cut the outer layer with a sharp knife. Slide the segments along, and then cut the liner.

To go longer, you need to ensure that you've got enough liner; it's usually possible to slide new liner through without dismantling everything.

Then you just need to reapply some heatshrink with a heat gun.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Is this Yokozuna stuff the cat's meow on SRAM Red?

Anyway--firsthand impressions on this stuff for SRAM Red would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by jz4nyc on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Well I've recently installed Yokozuna with my Red.

To be honest I've not noticed any improvement with the brakes. In fact it's made centering my rear KCNC CB1 caliper a bit troublesome because the cable is stiffer than the return spring.

But the shifting difference (compared with the original Gore, which was already very good) is significant.

I ran DA before my Red and really like the positive feel of the Red. Always know when you've changed and no half changes like you can get on DA. Well for my first few rides with the Yokozuna cables it was almost like riding DA again. The effort required to shift was so much less that I was overshifting. Fine now I've gotten used to it but it does highlight how much better it is.

Cheers!

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Perfect, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks.

Gearjunkie wrote:Well I've recently installed Yokozuna with my Red.

To be honest I've not noticed any improvement with the brakes. In fact it's made centering my rear KCNC CB1 caliper a bit troublesome because the cable is stiffer than the return spring.

But the shifting difference (compared with the original Gore, which was already very good) is significant.

I ran DA before my Red and really like the positive feel of the Red. Always know when you've changed and no half changes like you can get on DA. Well for my first few rides with the Yokozuna cables it was almost like riding DA again. The effort required to shift was so much less that I was overshifting. Fine now I've gotten used to it but it does highlight how much better it is.

Cheers!

Scott B

by Scott B

recently put the yokozuna cables on red, similar experience as Gearjunkie, noticeable improvement in shifting and braking as compared to the red cables, not huge but noticeable. Setting the brake cable length is touchy, I have ZG neg g's and the housing length has to be JUST right to keep the calipers centered, its really stiff material. They are nice and smooth though and once I got the perfect length the brakes work fine and stay centered.

since1984

by since1984

Another shipment just came back in of the Yoko reaction kits. Your lbs can get them once more!

Anaszi

by Anaszi

todibble wrote:Your post made me curious so I checked out our product. 250 euros for cables/housing? I think I know why people dont use them...

That can't be the problem here, where 3k wheelsets are considered 'normal'

53x12

by 53x12

I got my Yokozuna Reaction cable kit for my bike yesterday. Installed them last night and road for 2 hours today. The Yokozuna's are amazing. They really make the SRAM Red a whole new kit and are totally worth the ~$40-50 that you can get them online for. Shifting is smoother than the stock cables on the Red and the difference in braking is quite noticeable as well. I also like the way the housing looks, it really looks sharp.

Prolene

by Prolene

I believed the copy that Competitive Cyclist (CC) wrote on the Yokozunas and had CC put the cables on my Sram Red Cervelo build.

Shifting and braking feel great, with the feel of shifting as though the shifters are directly connected on the derailleurs. Input always equals output with the feel of micrometer precision. Nice.

jmg3

by jmg3

I just started using it, so far so good!
| adiStar Comp 4 |

ryfry07

by ryfry07

Were you guys able to fit the included brake ferrules into the Red shifters? They seemed way too big to me, and I didn't want to force them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com