HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:08 am 
Administrator

This has been cleaned up a bit removing the personal attacks. While the subject of the thread may not have any relevance to you it does to the OP and others. I know there are people on here that weigh their clothes. Do I weigh clothes no but ultimately if someone does who am I to say they are wrong.

-First one over the cliff wins!

Last edited by Juanmoretime on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:48 pm 

Thanks for the cool comments, PM's and emails guys....

Back to lightweight keys.... I remember a few years back seeing 'credit card emergency keys' they were meant for just a few uses, but still an interesting concept.

A Carbon Fiber key would be pretty cool, and a good "I'm a Weight Weenie, that's why" conversation starter!

P.S. I gotta start thinking of ways to lighten up my Google Phone as well!

Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:25 pm 
Administrator

I actually pack my old phone from Denmark as it's hacked, bashed, abused - and light. I also only carry the front door key. In fact, I try to carry as little as possible.

OT: Btw. nice replica. Thought about building an FF roadster myself - we have a few around my neck of the woods - but ultimately I needed a daily driver with a bike rack more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:57 pm 

If I ride from my house I have only an aluminium front door key. If I ride from the car (usually on the mtb), then I just have the remote door lock widget.

The weight difference is more than you get using carbon jockey wheels...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:18 pm 

I can't remember where i read this... but Jack I remember you mentioning putting your keys in a saddle bag? Why don't you just eliminate the saddle bag altogether? I just cram everything into my jersey pockets and it fits nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:00 pm 

holycao86 I dont like the feel of stuff in my jersey besides my cell phone and thin wallet... (in case I crash off a cliff and can't reach my bike, or at a bike shop and gotta pick up the phone, pay for something...)

Stuff in a jersey pocket is also very un-aero and potentially dangerous in a crash..... I already broke my back once before... (not a cycling crash)don't need to tumble and have a brass presta stem stick into my spinal cord, or a carbon fiber pump smash against a vertebrae

I remember when people used to make fun of me for even having a cell phone with me on training rides... until Dory Selinger lost his leg and his best friend died when that lady mowed over his whole team with a car back in 1993...

Interesting post crash history for Dory though.... http://www.doryselinger.com/index.html Tons of World Records, Olympic, National titles after he lost his leg... his prostetic is now a very aero carbon fiber EXPENISVE piece from his knee down... awesome to see him park in the Handicapped parking space at Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose and spank most of the cat 2's!

He has a 5:00.2 4K a 1:10.6 Kilo time and polishes off the 200 meters in 12.05! Imagine riding that fast on the track with a effective cleat mount of right under your ankle bone! Next time you see an amputee who is sitting in a chair getting fat, tell them about Dory!

Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:17 am 

Wow! I'm pretty sure this is the same guy that used to come out and train on the Saturday Spectrum Ride (my old team) out of Los Altos! This was about 3 to 5 years ago though.

I remember thinking while on his wheel how well he is hammering. This can be an extremely aggressive ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:20 am 

Bridgeman, I used to do that ride from time to time up until 2000.. also did the Noon Ride... and owned a Cat 1,2 Pro team called Veloce Velo from 1997 til 2000.

Those were back in my 90 to 120 mile a day days.... those rides usually made up the middle of my ride.... there were some strong riders back up in San Francisco back then....

Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:43 am 

JackLawrenceXXX wrote:
Bridgeman, I used to do that ride from time to time up until 2000.. also did the Noon Ride... and owned a Cat 1,2 Pro team called Veloce Velo from 1997 til 2000.

Those were back in my 90 to 120 mile a day days.... those rides usually made up the middle of my ride.... there were some strong riders back up in San Francisco back then....

No doubt we've met. I've been doing the Noon Ride since late "82" and been with 5 or so teams around here. Way back before riding, I remember running up to the Stanford dish and seeing these Pedali Alpini guys at the start and thinking well alrighty then, that's for me.

When we started the Spectrum rides they were on both Sat and Sun. Also, many years ago there was the Italian ride on Sun that started at 8am at 92 and Canada. I love those guys and really miss them. Now it is the Pen Velo Ride.

I'll be on the Noon ride tomorrow. I should also mention that there are some really great riders here, which is a thread I was thinking about starting. Something like; "who's on yer ride these days"? I bet a lot of people have some great stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:00 am 

I for one love your posts Jack, different ideas and projects about reducing weight when you ride is what WW is all about I thought so well done keep up the good work. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:53 pm 

Small World... I used to race for Pen Velo... did the Italian Ride with them every Tuesday and Thursday evening, and usually rode that route every day....

When I ran my team (Veloce Velo) , I had riders like Dave McCook, Dave Botchek riding for me... those were some fun times....

Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 pm 

i leave the keys with my bemused neighbour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:44 pm 

sawyer wrote:
i leave the keys with my bemused neighbour

I take my single car key, and leave my campus/office/work/home/other/other car keys in my car which I kept the key to. 2-3g instead of a triple digit number... :D Mind over Matter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:09 pm 

hockinsk wrote:
Personally, I'm thinking of fitting a fingerprint yale lock.

Then you need to drill your fingers :shock: :wink:

My Simplon Pavo II

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:09 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3