Tarmac vs. Roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinchy

by tinchy

Hi there,
I brought a specialized tarmac elite around new year but simply havent got on with it. Im sure its the right size and all that, just the geometry is way too aggressive for long rides. I am planning to race this year with my club, but having said that, its only 5 races and the rest of my time on the bike is spent doing 30-50milers with mates or sportives. So, Im thinking about selling the tarmac and going for a roubaix elite - thing is, I love the look of the tarmac just hate the riding position.
So, can anyone tell me how exactly the roubaix elite 09 differs from the tarmac. Will it be more like the riding position of my old giant SCR3, with a more relaxed geometry?

Also, whilst Im here, if I put my Specialized Tarmac Elite 09 on ebay, would £1000 be a fair enough price, considering its done 500 dry miles, kept inside and no damage and the RRP is £1400.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

look at the geometry ... roubaix has taller headtube and slightly longer stays ... it will meet your needs better i think ... i agree on the aesthetics.

i think you should definitely be able to get £1k for that yes. Maybe £1100.

paul_j

by paul_j

The Roubaix has a softer feel when accelerating and it does a good job of removing road buzz, at least the S Works SL I used to own did. It can feel a little bit slow to react - relaxed? - as it's quite a bit longer than a Tarmac so it's not everybodys cup of tea. As already pointed out it does have a higher front end so it can be difficult to bars low enough for some riders but it seems that a taller headtube is becoming popular with quite a few manufacturers currently.

Do you have a Specialized dealer nearby where you could test a Roubaix before making an expensive change? What exactly is it you dislike about the Tarmac?

Not sure if you will get £1k for a used Tarmac on ebay but you should get close as prices do seem quite strong on ebay right now.
Start it low and let it go... :wink:

Best of Luck

tochnics

by tochnics

1K for a slightly used tarmac is a bit hard to sell
mayby a good fitter can make you ride a bit more comfy on your tarmac
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

cynical

by cynical

I am after a new road bike (which I'll mostly strip down to the F+F) for riding, training and longer tri's. I currently have a Felt F65 (non oversize aluminium) which is light (1300gm + 400gm F+F) and comfortable. I'm looking for something lighter and comfortable without being flexy. I'm looking at up to £2K spend - seems the only/cheapest way to get these frames without buying S-works.

2014 Specialized look good - it seems most of the Roubaix & Tarmac low end bikes are "SL4" which means they are light, but are there different grades of SL4 (I've seen "SL4 pro", "SL4 race" etc)?

I am veering towards the Roubaix - is it much heavier / flexier than equivalent Tarmac? (I have bad memories of riding a £6K Stork that shook my teeth out after 100m!) Is it going to feel slouchy? It's 5.5cm higher at the front that my current bike!

DMF

by DMF

Keep in mind that even if effective top tube is the same, with a 55mm taller head tube, reach is not. Also it will be difficult to get the bars down 55mm by a change of stem alone.

Also, having a high front end doesn't exactly serve well for comfort unless you have a flexibility issue, as it will put more weight on your bum... You want an even pressure distribution between bum, feet and hands. Ofcourse that's very individual... But keep it in mind before you go buying something with a 55mm taller headtube.

Also consider the Scott CR1, might be closer to what you are looking for, even though the fork is a boat anchor due to the 'comfort zones'.

crossifino

by crossifino

I had a Roubaix hated it way too flexy.. But I prefer a stiffer ridged bike.

But it depends on your riding style and what you want out of it.

If you are after a more softer endurance bike then go Roubaix.

If you want to stamp on the pedals go tarmac

Cross

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Scott addict? Foil? Cannondale 6? Trek Madone? Domane?

Why Specialized?
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

indigo

by indigo

TrekUk wrote:Scott addict? Foil? Cannondale 6? Trek Madone? Domane?

Why Specialized?

lol @ the Foil being comfy.

OP, seems the most obvious choice here given that you want to strip it is to get a Canyon.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

cynical wrote:I'm looking for something lighter and comfortable without being flexy.

I read the whole description, I suggested as an option
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

TrekUk wrote:
cynical wrote:I'm looking for something lighter and comfortable without being flexy.

I read the whole description, I suggested as an option

Read the "comfortable" part.

A Foil ain't a "comfortable" bike. Which given his past poor experience, would rule the Foil out.

is it much heavier / flexier than equivalent Tarmac?

They are two different bikes designed around two different design briefs.

The Tarmac is a race bike, pure and simple. It didn't beat me up when I rode it, but then I race. On the other hand, Roubaix was appreciably more 'vertically compliant' (I hate this term, but really is the simplest way to describe it) than the Tarmac. BUT did not want for any lateral stiffness. Yes that sounds like the 'laterally stiff, vertically compliant' cliche we've been fed by dozens of brands, but the Roubaix really can lay claim to delivering that.

Google is your friend, both frames have been reviewed ad nauseum. I was fortunate enough to be able to ride them back-to-back, so got a great appreciation for the differences in both. I'm certainly not gospel though, so YMMV.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

foil certainly isnt comfy but it also isnt flexy.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

cynical

by cynical

Thanks all. I get staff discount on Specialized (and Cannondale, Focus, Giant - a lesser discount at that, and it seems to me these bikes dno't have such good frames).

I'm getting a test ride on both the Tarmac and Roubaix - latter does sound a little better, but the high front end concerns me.

I'll let y'all know!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

cynical wrote:(and Cannondale, Focus, Giant - a lesser discount at that, and it seems to me these bikes dno't have such good frames).

The Evo is a terrific bike. And the TCR one of the best value for money bikes going, period.

Focus also have a new model coming.

None of these brands are poor frames...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

focus izalco pro 1.0 with DA9000 then....
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013