Cut those house keys if you're a TRUE Weight Weenie!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

I took my house, car and mailbox keys to the band saw and grinder and took off 7.3 grams.... the 3 now weigh 16.6 grams... (one had a big ugly heavy black plastic fob moulded to it.

Might drill some holes in them as well.... dates are always impressed by stuff like that!

Now, I gotta find an aluminum or Ti keyring !

Credit Cards weigh 4.9 to 5.3 grams each! They are next on my list... I wonder if it's okay to drill out the cards as long as the numbers and magnetic tape are showing???
-Jack Lawrence
Follow me, hate me or just laugh at me.... it's all good... just never say I am not excited and thinking outside the box! The true spirt of Weight Weenism!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NadYdEW3Y
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

Just don't take them on a ride, makes them weigh nothing then :wink:
Last edited by Redddraggon on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

I kind of have to keep my keys with me... now that darn remote control gate opener.. that bad boy weighs 26 grams!
-Jack Lawrence
Follow me, hate me or just laugh at me.... it's all good... just never say I am not excited and thinking outside the box! The true spirt of Weight Weenism!!!!!
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

tochnics

by tochnics

jack you should take false teeth and take them out when you go riding :lol:

no seriously, every gramm counts and a Ti keyring sounds good
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

nycmtber

by nycmtber

JackLawrenceXXX wrote:I took my house, car and mailbox keys to the band saw and grinder and took off 7.3 grams.... the 3 now weigh 16.6 grams... (one had a big ugly heavy black plastic fob moulded to it.

Might drill some holes in them as well.... dates are always impressed by stuff like that!

Credit Cards weigh 4.9 to 5.3 grams each! They are next on my list... I wonder if it's okay to drill out the cards as long as the numbers and magnetic tape are showing???

Use a zip tie or twist tie to hold the keys. they should probably be lighter than a metal ring!

what about the tool you use or maybe you don't carry a multi tool? i use pedro's carbon mini tool. it weighed a few grams below claimed (high 60s i think)

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Mr. Lawrence, you got the WW disease bad. I don't think you are gonna recover. Expect a WW intervention if you start talkin' bout removing body mass, just stay away from Mini. Lawrence.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

wheelthang

by wheelthang

JackLawrenceXXX wrote:I took my house, car and mailbox keys to the band saw and grinder and took off 7.3 grams.... the 3 now weigh 16.6 grams... (one had a big ugly heavy black plastic fob moulded to it.

I think that if you disassemble your wheels and grind the NON threaded 2mm of each nipple down, you'll be able to drop 2gms total of rotational weight!!

SDP

by SDP

i dont want to appear rude but what has this rubbish got to do with weight weenies ...

does the OP just want a high post count ..

i am getting tired of these dross posts ..

moderators ..is this weight weenies stuff

skinnyClimberBoy

by skinnyClimberBoy

if you got the dough you can replace your bones with Ti bones, and also you can have teeth drilled out too.

how come you dotn try drilling of your frame and such.

ive found that a bunch of holes ont he downtube and top tube make a big diff in weight savings.

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

SDP

If the keys are in my saddle bag... the weight counts...

If you don't like my posts... don't read them...

If I was looking for a high post count, I would want credit for the 10's of thousands of posts on the Shelby Daytona Coupe http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21 (race car) Forum.... SCUBA Forum, F1 forum, saltwater reef keeping forum, private pilot forum, my work forums, R/C race car forum, traction kite flying forum, etc....

I can't help it if I am thinking often, excited about my hobbies and like to share ideas with others - learn from others......

Can you imagine how low our combined knowledge would be if we were all encouraged to keep our mouths shut and never think outside the box?
-Jack Lawrence
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

Leloby

by Leloby

I eventually got talking to this local guy - a big fat bloke with a Litespeed Ghisallo / Mavic CCU's and he admitted he was a self confessed WW fanatic. I didn't like to say........

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Not sure what kind of house key you have, but some locksmiths can cut aluminium Yale keys instead of the brass ones.

Personally, I'm thinking of fitting a fingerprint yale lock.

BmanX

by BmanX

+1 on the keypads. No keys for this cowboy while out riding. Now only if I could lighten up my IPOD!
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

hockinsk

by hockinsk

For UK, I don't think insurance companies will cover you if you make a claim and you only have a keypad lock on your front or back door. i.e. they want Yale and often 5 levers too before they'll honour a claim and pay up after a break in!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

I've got Silca Ultralite anodised alloy keys matching the colours of each of my bicycles. This green one I take with me on my Voodoo Dambala 29er:
Attachments
DambalaGreen.jpg
AnodisedAluminumKey.jpg