Light but strong quick release skewers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

looking for recommendation for light but strong skewers. i'm ~170lbs, and a bit hard on equipment, so is it worth getting something light(er) for this kind of thing? current skewers weigh ~57g each, but i sleep at night (or on rides?) not worrying about breaking them....

(yes, i did use search feature as i'm sure this is a popular topic , but it took forever to sift through the posts, figured i'd be more direct....)

thanks for any tips!

aarw

by aarw

I'm just >80kg, hard on wheels and have no issues with the KCNC skewers. good price too...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

no creaking or anything of the like? how long have you had 'em?

thanks.

aarw wrote:I'm just >80kg, hard on wheels and have no issues with the KCNC skewers. good price too...

aarw

by aarw

no noise at all. i bought them as soon as they were released - start of last year?

check this out:
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-28730729.html

SDP

by SDP

definately KCNC ..great value as well

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

KCNC are a great option....lighter than that the Parts of Passion but I think the KCNC offer and excellent balance of looks, strenght and price.

richard@lbrc.org

by richard@lbrc.org

I second the choice of KCNC skewers, I've raced mine in our local winter criteriums series, they were faultless.
R.
http://lbrc.org

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

I know I'm just about the only person here who doesn't like them, but I didn't have good results with the KCNC skewers. They always creaked, on both my road bike and my 'cross bike. I greased every part, greased my dropouts and hub axles, tried different closing pressures, tried them with different wheels. No dice, they creaked every time. Went back to my Bontrager ti skewers, and the creak instantly went away and never came back. I was bummed, because that added 40 grams back on!

That being said, I'm 175 pounds and ride fairly hard on rough roads, so your mileage may vary.

ku_hi

by ku_hi

Hi,

My wote for KCNC
You only live twice

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

richard@lbrc.org wrote:I second the choice of KCNC skewers, I've raced mine in our local winter criteriums series, they were faultless.
R.
http://lbrc.org

I third that motion I am 190 lbs and I am on a pair!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

How about Carbonsports model?

runner999

by runner999

KCNC and Omni Racer on 3 bikes, 1 mtb, 2 road. 80kg and no problems here.

Strong Bad

by Strong Bad

I like the KCNC skewers, but I have a set of the OmniRacers that I really, really dislike. The cam mechanism doesn't have the swing range or clamping power of the KCNCs. In fact, I bought a second pair of the KCNCs and the Omnis are setting on my work bench.

Starter

by Starter

I don't f*ck about with ti skewers. I know plenty of people have love for them, just not my cuppa. I stick to steel.

That said, there are generic lightweight steel skewer bolt-on's on ebay for around 13-20 bucks shipped. Sold under various names and available in multiple colors- black, silver, red, blue, green, gold, purple, etc... bullet-proof and verified at 65 to 66 grams a pair. They have a standard 5mm hex end.

Cycle Taiwan sells a pair of Figmo steel skewer bolt-ons that are similar, but have larger, more aggressively machined caps and also feature dropout guides. They are available in black only and use a 5mm hex as well. The weight on those drops to 60g a pair (the 52g claimed is inaccurate), and the price goes up to $39 shipped.

I prefer bolt-ons both for the added security and the lower weight... besides, when do you ever ride without a mini-tool? And thanks to lawyer-tabs, a QR takes just as long as a bolt-on...
Oof.

boysa

by boysa

My KCNC have been flawless...
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com