DURA ACE 7800 STI SHIFTER TUNING?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

Is there any way to shed some weight of the DURA ACE 7800 STI shifters, like the clamps perhaps? Anything?
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

big fellow

by big fellow

get your drill onto the levers....lol

that's some damn expensive holes you'd be drilling!

most interested to see what comes up here...

dlight

by dlight

How about the BTP clamps. claimed to save 18 gr. This is from memory, so not really sure about it, can someone verify?

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

I am all for 'home-made' modifications, but not on my brand new set of DA STI shifters... maybe in time...

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

I thought the BTP clamps were for Campy Ergo's...

big fellow

by big fellow

i am under the same impression as well that BTP are for campy levers...

drjones96

by drjones96

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? wrote:I am all for 'home-made' modifications, but not on my brand new set of DA STI shifters... maybe in time...

broke down and went STI aye?

BikeTech

by BikeTech

They do make them for Shimano (well they did them for 9 speed) but IMHO I would avoid them.

I had a set for my Campy Ergos. The clamp is super strong. No problem there. But the bolt that holds the shifter to the bars is aluminum. To me the possibility of that aluminum bolt breaking while I was on the hoods on a climb was high. If they used a steel bolt there, I wouldn't have any qualms about it.

rothshek

by rothshek

replace T bolt and mount blot
Attachments
mountbolt.jpg
Tbolt.jpg

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

drjones96 wrote: broke down and went STI aye?

:oops: I did... Looking back, my original plans were dumb... I was actually going to doing Campy Ergo's with a DA RD + JTEK shiftmate, but realised the importance of sound shifting and wasn't willing to experiment.

BikeTech

by BikeTech

@rothshek, the bolt was bonded into the carbon on the clamps I had, so no replacing them :(

drjones96

by drjones96

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? wrote: :oops: I did... Looking back, my original plans were dumb... I was actually going to doing Campy Ergo's with a DA RD + JTEK shiftmate, but realised the importance of sound shifting and wasn't willing to experiment.

I don't think you'll be sorry you went with STI instead of your previous idea. Sound shifting indeed especially if you get the 7800 FD in combination with the 7800 Shifters. The smoothness for the FD shifting is lightyears ahead of what it used to be.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

@ DrJones

So I got the DA FD + RD 7800 w/ the STI shifters, but my cassette is a Steinbach and my chain a KMC X10; my mind is starting to tell me to get a DA cassette and chain, but another part of me says to go ww and stick with what you got? Do you or anyone think I can still achieve smooth crisp shifting DA is know for?

drjones96

by drjones96

I don't really have any experience with the cassette/chain you mentioned but from what I understand the KMC chain is a pretty good one and should work well with your setup. If you've heard good reports about your cassette I see no issue with sticking with it.
I'll tell you what I've noticed about mine. If I've been riding for a few hours in nasty conditions (ie dusty, wet, road grime, etc) that usually gum-up a chain/cassette. My rear shifting gets to be a bit on the crappy side. My previous 9spd groupo wouldn't have been affected nearly as much by these conditions.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

dont laugh,

but on the inside of them, they have two screws, I undid these and took the cap off. This cap was to seal the flightdeck. and there was a cable in there. So I ripped that out. I will never use flight deck! SRM first, Polar, then..........

totaly, I think.......8-10grams forgot and Im not taking the off to weigh it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com