Tune Skyline Ceramic BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spytech

by spytech

Cyco wrote:If things work out financially for me over the next 6 months I'll be building a DH bike and a light road bike.

your seriously considering buying this bottom bracket at $4100??? :shock:

i wish i was as financially secure as you arel.

Superlite

by Superlite

Even if I had more then enough money to buy that I wouldn't. Seems very wastefull spending $4100 to save what, 20g? Not to mention that it might not last very long, so your throwing your money out the window.

It's a show part, and anyone who buys this thing needs there head pulled out of there ass! :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

Superlite wrote:Not to mention that it might not last very long, so your throwing your money out the window.

It's a show part, and anyone who buys this thing needs there head pulled out of there ass! :wink:

ummm, ceramic bearings might outlast steel bearings :roll: but im still with you, i think its a total waste of money.

Superlite

by Superlite

I was refering to the aluminum axel, but whatever, WASTE OF MONEY!!!

spytech

by spytech

if i was bill gates, i would buy one for every bike... :lol:

Cyco

by Cyco

Well I'm no Bill Gates in terms of fiscal supply, but one or two of my investments are starting to show promise - its taken a lot of hard work to get them there but IF it all works out then I feel I can enjoy the rewards in the form I desire.

If people like myself don't buy parts like these, who will? And if they are not bought, where is the drive for lighter, stronger better parts?

In response to this part in particular, the axle appears to be a better design for an Al axle than an ISIS axle and as such should last longer, the bearings are ceramics and should last longer, the BB is 51g or nearly 40% lighter than the next lightest parts. Sound design - High-Tec materials will never be "cheap"! My biggest objection is the lack of crank choices to suit (Stiff, Light 180mm cranks are hard enougth to find at the best of times).

spytech

by spytech

Cyco wrote:Well I'm no Bill Gates in terms of fiscal supply, but one or two of my investments are starting to show promise - its taken a lot of hard work to get them there but IF it all works out then I feel I can enjoy the rewards in the form I desire.

If people like myself don't buy parts like these, who will? And if they are not bought, where is the drive for lighter, stronger better parts?

well people like you dont usually buy things like that. usually materials like that (full ceramic bearings) are bought by big companies that have an acutal use for it, and they usually come up with a way that makes manufacturing easier. after time R&D money is made back up, and cost of parts go down; which in turn makes the product more feasable.

right now you can get an frm BB that is as smooth as sh!t on a runny day, for 100 bucks or even a AC BB that has the same weight with a cromoly spindle, how about if you made the spindle alu. knock off another 25 grams, brings the weight down to 115g. now i would be 135 bucks for a BB like that. but not $4100, its insane, and in the end what does it accomplish?

sorry, but i have to agree with superlite on this one. Its crazy for an avg. person to spend 4 grand on a BB - that cost more than my entire bike, which i think is pretty damn good. :D But if it floats your boat, MORE POWER TOO YOU. some people think im crazy, for spending $3600 on a bike, i think your crazy for spending $4100 on a BB, i guess its all how you look at it.

PS. let me know what your investing on... :idea: AMD is not doing it for me.

Superlite

by Superlite

Who says I don't like light weight parts! :mrgreen: Spending$4100 on a BB is not passion for a light bike, it's stupidity! You would honestly pay $4100 to save 20g?

JTC

by JTC

Hey Cyco if you are serious about having the latest and newest technology why don't you go with a one piece BB/Crank combo. There are a number of manuf. out there www.negmass.com being one. You could then replace the BB with ceramic and have the lightest and possible the smoothest set up in the world.

camel

by camel

i know most guys here don't rate ada beers to highly but has anyone tried his bb? supposdly very smooth.

Cyco

by Cyco

The Negmass's appear to be good, and if they do 180s I would definatly consider them. The start of mould machining is a Very good step to my purchase - but they will need 12-15 months to likley have them ready (not 9 :( ).