Lightest crank bottom bracket combination for Roubaix comp ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Hmmm I am in the weight weenies Forum . Oh yeah I should get Dura Ace when there are crank sets 200 grams lighter

Oh yeah, I guess we didn't know that. :lol:

There are lighter crank/BB combos, but don't be fooled. There is nothing better. The DA cranks are bombproof. If you get any cranks with ISIS you will be riding an inferior product. The bearings are horribly small and wear very fast, all you will have is problems. DA you put it on and forget its there.

AS for weight savings, the most you can save on a good set of cranks would be 180g by using THM cranks, but you better have $900. AFter that your back to ISIS and the max weight savings is about 140g with Pulsions and AM Classic BB. BTW, my weight savings are just cranks and BB, not chainrings.

Remember, lighter isn't always better. Unless, maybe you get the THM cranks. 8)

bobalou

by bobalou

Superlite wrote:
Hmmm I am in the weight weenies Forum . Oh yeah I should get Dura Ace when there are crank sets 200 grams lighter

Oh yeah, I guess we didn't know that. :lol:

There are lighter crank/BB combos, but don't be fooled. There is nothing better. The DA cranks are bombproof. If you get any cranks with ISIS you will be riding an inferior product. The bearings are horribly small and wear very fast, all you will have is problems. DA you put it on and forget its there.

AS for weight savings, the most you can save on a good set of cranks would be 180g by using THM cranks, but you better have $900. AFter that your back to ISIS and the max weight savings is about 140g with Pulsions and AM Classic BB. BTW, my weight savings are just cranks and BB, not chainrings.

Remember, lighter isn't always better. Unless, maybe you get the THM cranks. 8)

:goodpost:

My DA10 BB/Crankset is about 100g heavier then the Record Carbon and Phil Wood BB I used to use but noticably stiffer and truly confidence inspiring. I wouldn't trade back for any reason.

If all you care about is weight then by all means, get the propellers. :lol: They'll work fine as long as you only weigh 100 lbs. and walk your bike up hills. You'll have a very fine bike that can be hung on the wall and displayed for all to see.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burlguy

by burlguy

The Thm looks like it is an awesome crank and bottom bracket combo . It is so lite I am worried about snapping it in two ... Has anyone here bought one and reviewed it yet? I now am going to need to source some lite weight chainrings. I like a non compact crank with 53 and a 36 , Any ideas ?

Thanks everyone for turning me on to the Thm Clavicula ... Before I order I have to save for another week and read up on them and see if any have failed. There a little out of my price range for immediate purchase.

cadence90

by cadence90

TA rings are good.
But 53-36? Why? That is a heck of a spread, and 17 is beyond must derailleur limits...not a good ratio I think. I don't even know if you can get a 53 and a 36 on the same crankarm bcd, I don't think so.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

mises

by mises

cadence90 wrote:TA rings are good.
But 53-36? Why? That is a heck of a spread, and 17 is beyond must derailleur limits...not a good ratio I think. I don't even know if you can get a 53 and a 36 on the same crankarm bcd, I don't think so.

38 is the lowest on a 130bcd crank. But I have seen up to 56T for 110bcd compact cranks.

I still think compacts would be the best choice. Just get an 11-25 cassette, either an aftermarket or mix an 11-23 and 12-25 cassette.

Greyhound

by Greyhound

Hello again you cant mount a 53-36 on a standard size (130) you have to go compact (110). The lightest compactcranks are pulsion, k-force and maybe the new extralite. Go and buy the new stronglight CT2 chainrings and you have a nice setup. the Q-Factor for the k-force is 146mm and you have to mount it on a 108mm isis bb. the Q-Factor of the extralite is 160mm for the pulsion i dont know. For a roubaix i would choose a carbon crankset and please post a pic of your bike sounds nice.