Campag Shamal 2-way fit vs regular Shamal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milroy

by milroy

I'm considering wheels for a Prince with S/R and have been advised NOT to get the new 2-way fit versions. I'm told tire fitment is very difficult (presumably they have a slightly larger OD).
Can anyone comment on this and if they have found it a problem?
I do not currently use tubeless and until more tire manufactures get on board and provide more options, I'll probably stick with the tubes. Nevertheless, I'm reluctant to forgo the ability to run tubeless tires in the future.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Phill P

by Phill P

do they do 09 with out "2 way fit"?

pbb99

by pbb99

yep, can get them without 2-way fit. Generally cheaper, too

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

and the standards are lighter as well.

tom_h

by tom_h

5 8 5 wrote:and the standards are lighter as well.

per Campy specs, the "Standard" and "2 Way" wheelsets are identical weight.
Last edited by tom_h on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tom_h

by tom_h

milroy wrote:.... I'm told tire fitment is very difficult (presumably they have a slightly larger OD).....

Are you referring to clinchers being harder to remove & install ? That's my concern, although I've not been able to ascertain facts.

By design, tubeless are supposed to be very tight on the rim

tjones

by tjones

I can't speak specifically to the Campy 2 Way Fit wheels, but with the '09 Fulcrum 2 Way Fit wheels there is a specific tire lever that it is recommended you use. I just installed some of the Hutchinson Fusion tubeless tires on a set of Fulcrum Racing 0 2 Way Fit wheels and they went on alright. On one of them I did need to use the tire lever to get that list little bit on the rim but the other tire went on fine. Not as tight even as some traditional clincher tires.

Having put in some miles on the tubeless tires, I think that they are phenomenal and I would say you should check them out. You can ride much lower air pressure, get a smoother ride and generally have less flats. As far as weight is concerned, I could perceive a slight weight penalty on the Racing 0 2 Way Fit versus the regular Racing 0s, but I didn't put them on a scale so I can't help you there.

milroy

by milroy

tjones wrote:I can't speak specifically to the Campy 2 Way Fit wheels, but with the '09 Fulcrum 2 Way Fit wheels there is a specific tire lever that it is recommended you use. I just installed some of the Hutchinson Fusion tubeless tires on a set of Fulcrum Racing 0 2 Way Fit wheels and they went on alright. On one of them I did need to use the tire lever to get that list little bit on the rim but the other tire went on fine. Not as tight even as some traditional clincher tires.

Having put in some miles on the tubeless tires, I think that they are phenomenal and I would say you should check them out. You can ride much lower air pressure, get a smoother ride and generally have less flats. As far as weight is concerned, I could perceive a slight weight penalty on the Racing 0 2 Way Fit versus the regular Racing 0s, but I didn't put them on a scale so I can't help you there.

Thanks. I'll try to weigh both types and see if I come up with any difference. From what I have read here, it seems Shamals are usually over the claimed weight, anywhere from 1420g to 1450g. It would be interesting for me to know if that is related to the 2-way fit vs regular.

lfoggy

by lfoggy

I've got 2009 'two-way-fit' Shamals with Hutchinson tubeless tyres. They offer a loveley ride with, so for, no punctures. Total weight is about the same as clinchers + tubes. The tyres go on easily as well. I've not tried the wheels with tubed tyres yet though so can't answer your question.
Regards

CSKeller

by CSKeller

I just got my Shamal Ultra 2 way fit wheels from TotalCycling...

They are GORGEOUS!! I weighed them....

front (with valve stem) 625g
rear (with valve stem) 832g
skewers 114g

They also look awesome on my 07 595 Ultra. I just put the wheels on the bare frame to check it out....WOW!!

I hope to post pics once it's all built up.

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

I set a pair up for a friend and they were no more difficult than most campy wheels- if tubeless is something you are interested in you should give them a shot.
This board would be MUCH nicer if everybody would just chill out.

Leloby

by Leloby

Anybody else had 'pinch-punctures' running tubulars on these rims?

I saw a flat the other day on a Vittoria Pave and it was almost definately from checking on the rim bead.

I wouldn't touch them.

milroy

by milroy

Leloby wrote:Anybody else had 'pinch-punctures' running tubulars on these rims?

I saw a flat the other day on a Vittoria Pave and it was almost definately from checking on the rim bead.

I wouldn't touch them.

Either you have misread this thread or are confused (or trying to be funny). I've heard of ppl running tubular tires on a clincher wheelset, but its hardly within the design scope and a fault of the wheel.

kman

by kman

^^^ Yeah, I think you are confusing tubular and tubeless. I believe there were some old skool wheels that accepted tubulars and clinchers but certainly not what everyone is talking about here.

Back OT: I haven't tried Campag rims/wheels for a while but all my older ones (old shamals, lambda rims) are a bastard to get tyres on and off. Trying to fit a Michelin tyre is a waste of time and if it does get on there you'll never get it off.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

Leloby

by Leloby

Sorry, it was a bit tongue in cheek but this is the second time I have had someone talking about their tubular tyres not doing so well on these rims.

It beggars belief. Like the woman who electrocuted her son with an electric guitar on Xmas day by putting a 13A plug on the 'power cable'.

:shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com