Dura-Ace to Campy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brianwchan

by brianwchan

divve wrote:
Bruiser wrote:Divve, have you used them?

Yes, I've used them and I also used SI Hollowgram from Cannondale, which are even stiffer. I've also used aluminum and carbon Record. None of the cranks feel too flexy. The only clear difference is that Cannondale shifts worst and DA the best.

Do the SI cranks shift badly due to the cannondale chainrings? Couldn't that be solved with some aftermarket rings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

Yes, you can change the rings. They might be heavier however. The current ones are machined quite elaborately in order to lighten them. Shifting isn't "really bad". It's just not as good as Campy and for sure quite a step below DA10 or even 9.

KB

by KB

I use both DA and Campag Record. I love the DA hoods as I can get a better and more comfortable grip on them. Record seems to be better for smaller hands. Shifting wise I prefer Record. It's heavier and you know you have changed gears. I find DA a bit light and do have to look down sometimes; it seems more wishy-washy.

As far as the Pro's are concerned, I don't think it matters a jot. Armstrong was the first rider to win the TdF on Shimano, before that it was almosy the exclusive preserve of Campag although I can remember Thevenet winning on Stronglight, also Anquetil.

Apart from the aero bar advantage gained by Lemond, I can't ever think of the TdF being won by any rider because he had better equipment. Ultimately, it's down to cost and preference, and DA/Record offer the best 'operating' systems.

mises

by mises

big fellow wrote:very interesting yourdaguy, a good post

i find it asbolutely amazing that you guys are seriously discussing that X rider or Y rider won a particular event because he was using shimano or campy. are you serious? it has nothing to do with it! Lance Armstrong could ride my old recumbent cruiser with a T bar shifter on the top tube and still win the damn race

comes down to genetics, training and race tactics - not whether you use shimano or campy!!!!

Yeah but wasn't Pantani on Shimano when he killed himself??? :P

I think mixing is the best way to go. Campy shifters, Pulsion cranks, DA FD, campy RD or whatever and get the best performance and least weight.

divve

by divve

I think today we've proven which is the most durable, the fastest, and the best :podium:

Superlite

by Superlite

mises wrote

Yeah but wasn't Pantani on Shimano when he killed himself??? :P

Dude, that is not even close to being funny. Have respect for dead.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

mises wrote:Yeah but wasn't Pantani on Shimano when he killed himself??? :P
Attachments
tryingtobefunny-vi.jpg
tryingtobefunny-vi.jpg

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Hahahhaaha

big fellow

by big fellow

completely agree - that post on Pantani and shimano was very,very poor form....