My first experience with carbon cages

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Today I went to the shop and tried out two carbon cages they had in stock: the Rav X, and the Arundel.

They were both $35, and this was my first time ever handling carbon cages. Don't know why, just never had the urge to. Honestly, I was a little bit disappointed. The Arundel held the cage very snugly, but conversely, it was VERY difficult to get it out. Much harder to pull it out than my metal cage. I had to literally twist the bottle out.

The rav-x was much easier to get the bottle in and out, but it lacked the little lip that fits over the bottle. I'd be scared of the bottle ejecting.

I guess I'll be keeping my regular cages... for now. I mean the carbon ones weren't much lighter, AND in terms of pure bling factor, I wasn't too impressed with their finish and overall appearance. They felt pretty cheap and weak too.

ALx

by ALx

personnally... i use Pazzaz carbon cage and they really do awesome job! they hold botle tight but its not to hard to remove it... the only "problem" is that they aren't light... but they do realy do great the job they are supposed to do! and for me its what matters most..
Sprinters are born not made

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kAb

by kAb

I have never been impressed with anything from RAVX, they make a bunch of crap. Ever seen their pumps?

You can't get into a good carbon cage for cheap. min about 40... if you want one that is the best combo of the two, look at the serfas carbon (large body holds well, 26g, $40) profile design (22g, holds fair but very easy to get out, $50)... there are a few good ones out there.

drjones96

by drjones96

I have RavX Beta X cages on my bike ('04 models). They work great and grip the bottle well. I don't know how they'd ever eject under normal road riding usage unless you crashed or something. I've ridden on some rough roads also (nearly pave caliber) and they've hung in there. I've used them for a couple of months so I can't speak for durability yet but I've got no complaints as of now. I weighed my pair with the 4 bolts and washers and it came to 56g. As far as the rest of their products.....I have no idea.

cadence90

by cadence90

I guess this is really a "to each his own" thread...
I have used Arundels for 2 years, never lost a bottle, never had a problem getting a bottle in or out of the cage, and they still look good.
To me, they are easier/better/lighter than the Elite SS I had before.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Well, in all fairness, I'd expect the arundel's to loosen up a little after some use.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Yeah, I'm in the states. The performance ones don't look particularly light.

I was just thinking, if i'm going to go for carbon cages, I might as well go for the ultimate lightest thing and put it on for special days. There are a LOT of hills around here.

Have you tried the 15 gram BTP cages? They take a tapered bottle only. How well do they hold?

brianwchan

by brianwchan

No, I wouldn't really call that cheap. I think I might just go with the BTP's.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I have used these almost a year now, and they have been very good.
http://www.jtimport.dk/easyflow/default ... duct=12822

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com