need FD for compact cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dlight

by dlight

which rear der. would work better with compact cranks. I'm planning on using the new FSA compact cranks.

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jozuph

by jozuph

from which ones do you want us to choose ? Besides a RD has nothing to do with compact or not..in my opinion this campa CT is a joke..well haha..

Coolhand

by Coolhand

jozuph wrote:from which ones do you want us to choose ? Besides a RD has nothing to do with compact or not..in my opinion this campa CT is a joke..well haha..

Topic says FD, body says RD. Hmmm?

Assuming that you know the rear derailler usually is not an issue (you can go with a medium cage if you are worried about range I guess), check out the IRD Compact front derailler.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

jozuph

by jozuph

theres also no need for a new or different FD..

dlight

by dlight

sorry, i wasn't clear in the head this morning. :oops:

I was thinking that i would have a problem running a shimano 7800 front derailleur with a compact crank from FSA. The FSA is on order.

jozuph

by jozuph

no problemo at all

mises

by mises

the adjustment needs to be close to perfect to get the same shifting as with a normal crank but it works well if adjusted properly. But I switched to a record compact FD because I had the chain drop onto the BB a few times and didn't like the looks of a chain catcher on the frame. I didn't think it would make much difference before I got it but the compact FD does stop the drop and also upshifts slightly better.

jozuph

by jozuph

works fine with just normal adjustment, like with bigger rings, theres no excuse for dropping on the BB, that must have been wrong adjustment..sorry :)

cadence90

by cadence90

While I generally agree with jozuph (people (including myself) were using compact cranksets long before the compact FDs came out) that it's a bit more marketing, I would think on a 50/34 (the 16 tooth spead is really the limit) the compact might work better, but I don't know. I use a standard Record FD on a 50/36, and there are no problems at all, not hard to adjust, no chain drop, etc.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

mises

by mises

cadence90 wrote:While I generally agree with jozuph (people (including myself) were using compact cranksets long before the compact FDs came out) that it's a bit more marketing, I would think on a 50/34 (the 16 tooth spead is really the limit) the compact might work better, but I don't know. I use a standard Record FD on a 50/36, and there are no problems at all, not hard to adjust, no chain drop, etc.

50/34 is what I had the problem with. Always worked great on the stand. It only dropped under pressure with a fast shift when trying to keep momentum up a climb. I think the pressure and fast shift caused it to just launch right over the top of the 34 because there was no noise of the chain hitting the lower ring at all, and the FD couldn't have been adjusted any closer without rubbing in the lowest gear. 36 is probably high enough to snag it on the way down.

The compact FD does have that triple chainring, hairy leg taint about it but it did solve the problem. I could have solved it by altering my shifting technique too but didn't want to have to think about shifting again like back in the days of Simplex friction shifters (though they were very nice in their day).

kAb

by kAb

2005 has been full of a bunch of bikes that didn't work correctly running compact cranks with Shimano 10spd, but if running DA it will work as long as fine tuned at all times(most of the time)... although it does work fine in the stand. Ultegra is a different story. Shimano screwed everyone over by coming out with saying that DA10 and Ult10 are interchangable. Cranks, mainly compact, that are able to run with DA10 FD don't necessarily work well with Ult10 (in most cases they dont work well at all). Like someone said earlier in this post, the IRD front der works like a charm, a quick fix to all the bad chain lines on all these bikes running 10spd w/ compact cranks. These compacts have been a pain in the butt w/ the Shimano front der, although most will work with DA10 front der.

dlight

by dlight

Will a Campy FD for compact cranks work with a DA 10 shifters?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

apmech

by apmech

dlight wrote:Will a Campy FD for compact cranks work with a DA 10 shifters?

I got it to work quite well on my Ultegra 9spd shifters.... so to answer your question... YES...