Seatpost Showdown: KCNC Ti Pro Lite vs. Woodman Post EL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Who is the champion post?

KCNC Ti Pro Lite
72%
Woodman Post EL
28%

Total votes: 25

The Six Dollar Man

by The Six Dollar Man

I'm thinking hard about which one to buy. I've come up with some pros and cons. These are completely subjective, what is a con for me might not be an issue for others. I'm strong and around 190 pounds right now.

Woodman pros: Lighter than KCNC. Shaft appears to be stronger as well with internal butting and a multi-diameter design like Extralite. Bolts are apparently beefier.
Woodman cons: Lower clamp round is made of carbon, possible durability issues?

KCNC pros: Lower clamp round is aluminum, and I've never heard of this specific part failing on the post.
KCNC cons: Slightly heavier. Supposedly weaker shaft. Supposedly bolts aren't as beefy.

Unknowns: Weight limits. KCNC publishes one. Woodman does not, at least not one that I found. If Woodman has one, this aspect is a draw. If it does not, then this is another point in their favor.

From a financial standpoint, both posts are basically identical in price. Here are links to the post's product pages.

http://kcnc-usa.com/content/view/14/29/

http://www.woodmancomponents.com/catalo ... n&art=sea3

jrennie

by jrennie

I'm running a woodman carbo el and I've been very happy with it. It came in exactly at claimed weight of 125g(27.2X400). I trimmed it down to the right length and it took 18g off. Scary light and no issues thus far. 165lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I would do KCNC...

I just like how pretty much everything they make performs.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I just don't trust posts of that design. I've seen a few broken ones posted before... but are they in fact stronger than they look?
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

So here's my take on these. This POV is coming from a guy thats 140-145 lbs.

The KCNC post is more like the Woodman SL than the EL. The SL has an alloy rocker, like the KCNC, while the EL has a carbon rocker. The Woodman guys do not explictly say that there is a weight limit however, I'd say if you a big guy I put you on the SL or KCNC just incase. The carbon rocker will break if you get all German on it with the torque when installing the saddle. So if you a ham-fisted heavy dumbass I'd say you may want the SL.

The actual body of posts in the same, the only diffrence is ti bolts and the rocker.

That being said, I've had no issues with mine at all, but again I'm not that heavy.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

I don't need setback on my frame, so have tried quite a few of the super-light no-setback posts.

I've used both mentioned here...the KCNC way more extensively than the Woodman. Before the KCNC I used the ORIGINAL bad-ass no-setback alu seatpost of the gods (to which these are very similar): the new ultimate. The NU weighed 92g. In my first race with it, way back when, one of the Ti bolts broke. I replaced it, and everything was fine for 10,000s of miles afterwards 'till I regrettably sold the post.

The Ti pro lite. No problems for a long while. I never really checked tightness of the bolts, or used a torque wrench, and it held up fine. Then after lapping the field in a crit one day, the rocker piece broke right as I rounded the final corner to put in the sprint.

Then got another, newer version of the pro lite. Not sure what was newer. Looked/weighed/felt the same. No problems with this one, ever. It was 300mm, and I only needed 250, but that's all. Raced it all last season, no problems. Including 15 days of superweek thrashing.

Got the woodman a few months ago because I was intrigued with the carbon rocker. Love the look of otherwise-unnoticeable subtleties like that. Also, figured it would be a better match for a carbon railed saddle, less pinch maybe? Anyhow, after one good ride, I noticed the saddle had slammed itself all the way back on the adjustment. Then I re did the adjustment, making sure the torque on both bolts was even, and have not had problems since. The post was a bit lighter than the pro lite as well. 100 vs 120? Something like that. My bike was since run over by a car, and the post might be salvageable still (though the saddle is badly scuffed).

Woodman: my vote.

I weight 165 -/+ 5lbs.

oh...one more note. The outer diameter of the woodman is larger than the pro lite. Very slightly, so the woodman is a bit harder to get in...but...much much less likely to slip. I had slippage issues with the kcnc, and had to use a beefier seatpost clamp.

The Six Dollar Man

by The Six Dollar Man

Well, I made a decision... The posted replies expressing a preference were 3 to 1 for the Woodman, however the poll showed 11 to 3 in favor of the KCNC. This was much better than just flipping a coin!

I went with the KCNC. Received it yesterday. 140g even in a 27.2 x 350, which is 2g under advertised weight. I couldn't be happier.
na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na...

Hubert

by Hubert

Where did you guys buy your Woodman posts?
Turn down the suck knob.

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

Since there are comments about both posts failing in the past, I'd go with the one with the best warranty.

You mentioned the KCNC had a weaker shaft. Has anyone broken one of these or is it just speculation? The thought of breaking the shaft is... scary :oops:

GZA

by GZA

I managed to break the rear bolt on a KCNC hankfully about 20m from home on a long ride (I'm 85kgs). Torqued to spec.

The post is alarmingly flexible and does not inspire confidence like the Thomson Masterpiece that replaced it. For only a 20g penalty IMO its a no brainer.

The KCNC is a product that sacrificies solid performance for weight under a 85kgs plus guy.

Raxel

by Raxel

Newer kcnc posts uses beefier Ti bolts (Now M6) so no more broken bolts....
If you are still not sure about ti bolts you can replace them with steel bolts with less than 10g weight gain. It will be still 20g lighter than thomson masterpiece.

Hubert

by Hubert

Juanmoretime wrote:
Hubert wrote:Where did you guys buy your Woodman posts?

Try Universalcycles.

Thanks. It looks like they're out of the Woodman Post SL Plus Seatpost but I'll give them a call to order one.

That said, has anyone broken a WOODMAN post? I'm 180 lbs, so I'm not exactly light . . .
Turn down the suck knob.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com