Dura-Ace to Campy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eddy

by Eddy

Hi guys'

both are top's performer , but concerning the shimano the anti corrosion protection isn't the best . it's fact living in thailand a lot off the riders have some issue with the shifters and cranks , it's only the look, the campy it's carbon no problems , I leave in thailand humidity very high .
In asia the shimano groupo much cheaper compare to campy and more avaibility :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jozuph

by jozuph

would it be possible for one time to explain why the rd from one brand is better then the other ? why it makes sens [except for looking interresting] to use a one brand rd and a different brand fd. And now not like always, mm i heard so, uhm i read it somewhere..
this is such a non-sens discussion, nobody can really on a mechanical level, nor on a technical level tell why campa shifts better or worst then shima. I see that a lott here on the forum, no offence but there are even people that say one day a and the next day b, and then other people say what the first says etc...Its fairly easy to find out what works fine for you and what not. Why would u ask people that change their minds on the average every day trust and buy what they tell you to buy..Iam not saying this happens always, but excuse me, i see it happen a lott..thats the danger of forums, newspapers, television, people believe everything you tell them...without knowing..have fun, cheers

divve

by divve

Personally, I can't think of a good reason to mix the two component groups. It's just borrowing trouble and not worth the hassle.

For me the best argument to go with Campagnolo are the hoods. My hands simply can't rest on the upward curved Shimano hoods. They either have to be seated before the curve or way up past. Just not as comfortable for my hands as the Ergo levers.

On a sort of technical level Campagnolo is faster than the other and can shift multiple gears up and down. It's very convenient for instance when you shift from the big ring to the small one, and are able to shift down the cassette two or more gears at once. That's one of the things I also like about the XTR rapid rise on my MTB.

Shimano on the other hand shifts the best in the front, because they've got their ramping designed better. The shifters feel more sophisticated as well. The internals consist of a series of gears and a pawl and ratchet system that you tension and release. With Campagnolo you basically directly push the indexing up or down over a spring loaded star wheel. There's only a spring assist to make things lighter. Not a true gear ratio system or whatever you call it to make things work with less effort or fine tune the lever throw.

jozuph

by jozuph

thanks and that i know, but still it doesnt mean one is better shifting, or its better to use fd shima and rd campa or the otherway around..this is the ww forum, campa is lighter so in this forum better :shock:

rico

by rico

[quote="divve"]Personally, I can't think of a good reason to mix the two component groups. It's just borrowing trouble and not worth the hassle. quote]

I know what you mean, but have heard good things from those using 7800 BBs and cranks with Campag....

rico

jozuph

by jozuph

what are those good things then Rico ? That it works, that dura ace is stiffer ? Could you or anybody else post some figures concerning crank stiffness ?? Havent seen them yet but iam very curious though...

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

I don't think mixing the groups is asking for trouble... it can be set to work just fine...

Like Divve, I don't like the feel of DA shifters in terms of ergonomics. So I'm going to use the Campy Ergoshifters, with a DA RD7800 + JTek shiftmate, and a Campy FD...

So please tell me, where is the hassle in this and what trouble am I looking at.

And yes, I have tried the above set up... for a couple long rides, shifting was nice and my hands were comfortable. And it makes for a nice light setup, the lightest I believe... with some tuning.
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

Is it possible to change the hoods on DA7800 shifters to shorter ones, with a different shape... are any options available.
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.

the Repeater

by the Repeater

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? wrote:Is it possible to change the hoods on DA7800 shifters to shorter ones, with a different shape... are any options available.

I doubt it, because Shimano shifters cannot be disassembled or repaired beyond that plastic top cap.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

rico wrote:
divve wrote:Personally, I can't think of a good reason to mix the two component groups. It's just borrowing trouble and not worth the hassle. quote]

I know what you mean, but have heard good things from those using 7800 BBs and cranks with Campag....

rico

Exactly, after I finish modding the rest of my bike, I'm planning on switching my chorus cranks to DA.

BikeTech

by BikeTech

I run a Record 10 drivetrain on one of my bikes but with a Shimano hub bodied rear wheel, and Dura-Ace 10 speed cassette. I like the ratios that Shimano offers and the cost of Campy cassettes is EXPENSIVE!

col hicks

by col hicks

the da crank is just cool end of story :D

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

col hicks wrote:the da crank is just cool end of story :D

Me and 4 other guys from my club, is driving a full set Campy Record but with DA 10 Cranks. It works perfect, and is my idea of "best of both worlds".

Bruiser

by Bruiser

BikeTech wrote: I like the ratios that Shimano offers and the cost of Campy cassettes is EXPENSIVE!

While some have complained about Shimano price setting, Campy is guilty of similar. Campy makes it cheaper to buy their group and much more expensive to maintain (chains and cassettes are the bulk of expenditure on bike maintenance).

brianwchan

by brianwchan

How is it cheaper to buy a campy group? I don't understand, maybe you mean campy doesn't fix their prices on components like shimano does?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com