Why cant manufacturers tell the truth about claimed weight!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Im getting a little sick of manufacturers being so wrong in the claimed wieght. Ok I understand when they are a little off, like up p 4% but some things are way off.

I ordered a Stienbach cassate, claimed 105grams.

it weighed 131grams....... which is 25%!!! more!!!!!!

It would be nice to have known before hand when I could have ordered something a little cheaper with the same weight!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

big fellow

by big fellow

I hear you totally - the ONLY reason one purchases some of these products is due to their supposed light weight - otherwise you would not buy it!!!!

wonder if there's some false advertsing law suit in the making :? you can't just advertise one thign and sell another!

WW of the world unite...

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

I think I might get my drill into it to get out what I didnt order :D

Its funny when you thinking about it! paying more for less!

ajh

by ajh

I have to state that when I worked for White Brothers we would weigh all of the parts in a bin and then take all of the lightest and then put them all together.

I did not like doing this but when a few grams of weight can make or break your sales many companies will do anything to get a light weight.

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

Fsa has been good about emailing me back quickly but the response to this question was "I guess all companies do it", meaning lie about weight.
Total BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is what it is and that should be what they advertise. :evil:
ALL COMPANIES :x
Last edited by CaptainWilier on Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjones96

by drjones96

I hate to make one of those "If I ruled the world" type statments but....If i were to produce a bike component I'd produce an initial 100 units, weigh all of them to get some statistics on weight. Then I'd pick the average weight for the advertised weight and also say that the part's weight could deviate by X%. No lies. That's all we, the customer, are really asking for.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

@ zakeen

What Steinbach cassette do you have... I've got a Alu 7075 T6
CNC gefräst 10SPD 12-25 @ 126.6 grams... When the website claims 105 grams, as you said. Do you have a 12-27?

That is a 20% increase from the claimed weight. Don't get me wrong, 126 grams for a 10SPD cassette is still very light... but it's not what people are paying for...
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I picked up a shimano 10 speed compatible cassette claimed at 103g and I was pleasantly suprised that it weighed what they said. I wish more companies would do this.

The cassette is shimano compatible, but not made by Shimano. I am not sure who makes it, but I bought it at velo carbon.
Last edited by rbrtwyn on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superlite

by Superlite

Shimano is one of the very few companies you can trust about weights. Most I have ever had a weight off of was 6g from them, and that was on my wheelset! :shock: Every other part is always within 2g + OR minus. Been seeing alot of minus lately. 8)

On the flip side, Deda is the worst! Never trust the advertised weights from them, they are a joke. I have seen weight discrepencies constently at 30-40%!!! :shock:

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? wrote:@ zakeen

What Steinbach cassette do you have... I've got a Alu 7075 T6
CNC gefräst 10SPD 12-25 @ 126.6 grams... When the website claims 105 grams, as you said. Do you have a 12-27?

That is a 20% increase from the claimed weight. Don't get me wrong, 126 grams for a 10SPD cassette is still very light... but it's not what people are paying for...

I ordered the Alu 7075 T6 CNC gefräst 10-fach, same as you. I also included the bolt that fixes it on, Because it was included in the picture on there site and doesnt say, weight without. I also ordered the 12-25, which is the smallest size! so they cant say this weight is for the bigger size.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Send it back and demand a refund, the only way they will learn!

campyman099

by campyman099

A lot of the time the manufacturer will use pre-production models for establishing weights, then inevitably the production models weight slightly more.
Quit whining and go ride your bike!!

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

What you say Campyman099 is very true, but a 20% increase in weight is a lot more.

With respect to sending it back to them, I actually picked mine up from a fellow ww, at about half the retail and knew of it's actual weight... so maybe I shouldn't be the one complaining. It is still very light @ 126 grams for a 10SPD cassette.

Hopefully, the 20% increase in weight will translate into a 20% increase in it's durability, well maybe not that much... we'll see.
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

campyman099 wrote:A lot of the time the manufacturer will use pre-production models for establishing weights, then inevitably the production models weight slightly more.

Why would these inevitably weigh more?

MGS9500

by MGS9500

Legally, the claimed weight must be within +/- of the real weight or a claim for deceptive advertising or fraud can be made.

I purchased a pair of Spinergy wheels, based on a website claim of a specific weight.

When the wheels were delivered, the weight was 20% over the claimed weight, and on a pair of wheel weighing 1300 grams, this is an error of over 260 grams.

I complained to the Ohio Attorney General, consumer fraud, and filed a claim against Spinergy.

Two weeks later, Spinergy called and bought the wheels back from me for a full refund.

Just my story. For the wheels it was worth the hassle. I'm not sure I would be complaining for a lesser problem

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com