UltraClimb SL's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ripley451

by Ripley451

I'm currently riding on Campag Protons but looking at getting a pair of Easton Ascent ll's (1423 claimed) or the Extralite UltraClimb SL's @ 1180g. Has anyone ridden either of these, and if so, would you reccomend either pair. I really like the look of the Extralite's.

Cheers[/u]
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALx

by ALx

to me.. its like comparing ksyrium ssc sl to ksyrium elite... go for the Extralite... never rode them but this compagny make good pieces.. i think they're thrustable
Sprinters are born not made

Ripley451

by Ripley451

I must say that for a few quid more I can save a lot more with the UltraClimbs than the Ascent's. Don't get me wrong, I love the Protons but would like to get a decent , lighter wheelset for a trip to Spain in a fortnight.

Superlite

by Superlite

to me.. its like comparing ksyrium ssc sl to ksyrium elite... go for the Extralite... never rode them but this compagny make good pieces.. i think they're thrustable

Extralite is crap, expect wheels like that to last you 500 miles, they are built for special events, not every day use.

The Velomax on the other hand are very durable, I use to own the Ascent II's. They are sweet wheels, fairly stiff, but if I ever bought velomax again I would not get them, but instead get the orions.

big fellow

by big fellow

i have been looking at these wheels for a long time, and I still remain unconvinced that a 20-24 spoke combination (or thereabouts) will survive my 83kg frame thrashing them around

zakeen posted that a team mate (or friend) of his kicked the rim and it buckled...i find that hard to believ ebut perhaps he can back it up?

zakeen?

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

yeah he had the x-treme carbon rim, those real light ones, Nano Elite I think they are called. Hated them and crack the rim by kicking it and broke his helmet be throwing it(3 that year!). Then he did altitude training in some big hill in Italy somewhere, where we were told he throw the wheel off the hill. That part I was not there, so dont believe!

But he did crack the rim by kicking it! fire-ie little fella, I think he only weighed about...60kg.

The main problems was spokes got lose....so maybe it was not the rim, but the builder.

He went to Zipp tune after that. and was happy.

big fellow

by big fellow

bit of a temper boy hey? I suppose then you could say if he kicked any carbon rim hard enough it would have broken right????

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

big fellow wrote:bit of a temper boy hey? I suppose then you could say if he kicked any carbon rim hard enough it would have broken right????

true but it was more to the reason why he kicked it, he hated the wheels and it costed him the race........ I should have added that before, sorry.

big fellow

by big fellow

sounds like a copout to blame the wheels, unless the wheel failed directly (spoke, rim) during the race

mind you he'd kick my butt with eyes closed, so just speculating here!

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

broke two spokes from what I remember, wheel was way to flexible after that. but....

"a bad toolsman always blames his tools!"

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Superlite wrote:

Extralite is crap, expect wheels like that to last you 500 miles, they are built for special events, not every day use.

The Velomax on the other hand are very durable, I use to own the Ascent II's. They are sweet wheels, fairly stiff, but if I ever bought velomax again I would not get them, but instead get the orions.

Have you ever used any Extralite products?
If not you might want to consider using someone's product before trashing it.

I've got cranks and stem from them with no complaints.

I've also crashed with a stem of theirs which is still in use 5 years later ( the bike was totalled as was my ankle.)

I don't particularily like CR1s or Cannodale. In the first instance I'll hold fire until I've looked one over and have ridden it. As far as Cannondale are concerned whilst they have produced some interesting bikes, I can't stand them as acompany and would never part with my hard earned cash due to my experience of their customer "service" attitude in Europe.

Superlite

by Superlite

Have you ever used any Extralite products?

Yes I have, and I have a few friends that have a few parts as well. They machine the parts too heavily, under engineer them, very bad practice.

big fellow

by big fellow

zakeen wrote:broke two spokes from what I remember, wheel was way to flexible after that. but....

"a bad toolsman always blames his tools!"

:wink: exactly what I was getting at !

Ripley451

by Ripley451

How about the Topolini clinchers? Anyone used them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

They have a set of hubs that are lighter then tune! are they any good? anyone used them?

I beleive the front is 62grams and the rear is 162grams.