Build a under 20 pound hardtail for under $5000 Canadian??

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

limba

by limba

Can you guys help me out?I just want to know if this is possible and where are the smartest places to spend my money.
The frame would either be a Rocky scandium Vertex or a Trek OCLV.Size 17.5.WTB ti.rail saddle(I already own this).Easton or USE carbon post.XTR rear,XT front derailleur.Double chainring RaceFace cranks and bottom bracket.Ti Eggbeaters(already own them).Dura 12-27cassette.XTR or KING hubs,DT Revolution spokes,Mavic rims.Panaracer Greenlite or Maxxis tubes.Conti.1.5 or Twister tires(already own).Pace rigid fork.King or RaceFace headset?
RitcheyWCS stem.Easton carbon bar.XT shifters.Avid single 7 brakes and levers.Ritchey WCS or Titec micro barends.
Would this definitely weigh UNDER 20 pounds?Anyone got better ideas??

Rogue

by Rogue

If I were you i'd go for DT Hügi 240 hubs instead.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DavidG

by DavidG

Are you after new or used parts?

If you've got patience and are willing to buy second hand you can easily meet your target weight and budget.

Buying on eBay and from closeouts, I managed to put together a custom 18.5-pound full suspension bike (http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/BikeListing.asp?id=46) at a total cost of under US$3K. Therefore you should have no trouble with your planned bike.
DavidG