Last weekend knocked me for six....

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jalapeno

by jalapeno

How quickly do you recover from a hard weekend? Normally I'm pretty good but last weekend I rode a hard 'informal race' with a buddy over a short 60km on Thursday, then MTB'ing Friday, Sunday I rode a hilly 30 mile TT followed by a 75 mile road event on the Monday.... I've been wiped out all week, it's Friday now and I'm still knackered. It was the TT that did it I think, 1hr 20 at approx 95% of max HR... :scared:
Normally my training goes in 4 week cycles, 3 weeks build and 1 week recovery with tailoring for specific events... last weekend just happened to be 'full'!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

jalapeno wrote:How quickly do you recover from a hard weekend? Normally I'm pretty good but last weekend I rode a hard 'informal race' with a buddy over a short 60km on Thursday, then MTB'ing Friday, Sunday I rode a hilly 30 mile TT followed by a 75 mile road event on the Monday.... I've been wiped out all week, it's Friday now and I'm still knackered. It was the TT that did it I think, 1hr 20 at approx 95% of max HR... :scared:
Normally my training goes in 4 week cycles, 3 weeks build and 1 week recovery with tailoring for specific events... last weekend just happened to be 'full'!

Did you eat and drink properly before after and during?

Stretching before and after?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

TTs can kill you!

I can race 200km road races and be fine the next day. But if I wanted to I can ride 20km flatout, and fcuk myself for a week also!

all you can do is what the post above has said, eat lots, stretch and easy riding!

take care and good luck!!

jalapeno

by jalapeno

Tippster wrote:
jalapeno wrote:How quickly do you recover from a hard weekend? Normally I'm pretty good but last weekend I rode a hard 'informal race' with a buddy over a short 60km on Thursday, then MTB'ing Friday, Sunday I rode a hilly 30 mile TT followed by a 75 mile road event on the Monday.... I've been wiped out all week, it's Friday now and I'm still knackered. It was the TT that did it I think, 1hr 20 at approx 95% of max HR... :scared:

Did you eat and drink properly before after and during?

Stretching before and after?

Of course, I'm pretty single-minded about looking after myself. Like Zakeen I can do 200k day after day with no worries, I do my intervals but a hilly 30 packs 2-weeks worth of intensity into less than an hour and half.....

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

From that kind of effort I would expect a few days. From races where I've bonked and or dehydrated it might take a week (tops) before I feel normal again.

After I did the Killington Stage Race (5 days of intense racing, and the last day was the farthest I'd raced up to that point), it took about a week before I didn't feel like total sludge on the bike. Was flying after that though.

jalapeno

by jalapeno

I'm getting there, it's been 4 days rest (aside from some light flexibility and core srength work at home) and the weather is lovely so I'll do recovery rides this weekend and start building up again next week. Still got 2 weeks to next event!

smallfish101

by smallfish101

This whole thread is no more than one great big self-wank. If you really do have the ability to do what you are putting out there, then you should know exactly what riding is all about, and you have no need to go shouting about " doing 200's every day"etc etc. Get a life.
GO HARD OR GO HOME

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

smallfish101 wrote:This whole thread is no more than one great big self-wank. If you really do have the ability to do what you are putting out there, then you should know exactly what riding is all about, and you have no need to go shouting about " doing 200's every day"etc etc. Get a life.

I was never showing off about doing a 200km and not feeling a thing. If you read his post he was not 100% sure what it was that killed him. Hence - "It was the TT that did it I think"

I was stating an example that it is possible to do 200km and be fine, but riding on REDLINE ZONE for little as 20km can kill you.

smallfish101

by smallfish101

zakeen wrote:
smallfish101 wrote:This whole thread is no more than one great big self-wank. If you really do have the ability to do what you are putting out there, then you should know exactly what riding is all about, and you have no need to go shouting about " doing 200's every day"etc etc. Get a life.

I was never showing off about doing a 200km and not feeling a thing. If you read his post he was not 100% sure what it was that killed him. Hence - "It was the TT that did it I think"

I was stating an example that it is possible to do 200km and be fine, but riding on REDLINE ZONE for little as 20km can kill you.

I am not arguing with the facts - everyone knows that. That's my point.
GO HARD OR GO HOME

Tippster

by Tippster

play nicely now children...

Bruiser

by Bruiser

smallfish101 wrote:I was stating an example that it is possible to do 200km and be fine, but riding on REDLINE ZONE for little as 20km can kill you.

I think alot of that depends on how you train, as I'm the opposite.

Your body will perform however you train it.

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Bruiser wrote:
smallfish101 wrote:I was stating an example that it is possible to do 200km and be fine, but riding on REDLINE ZONE for little as 20km can kill you.

I think alot of that depends on how you train, as I'm the opposite.

Your body will perform however you train it.

Exactly. And your recovery would have been greatly shortened by recovery rides the next day at very low intensity, as well as massage.

Doing nothing does not help you recover, it only rests you.

jalapeno

by jalapeno

precisely, I've never been knocked sideways that heavily before in 12 yrs of competition. My post was never intended to cause offence to some people, the whole point is that iut can help to discuss a problem rather than dwell on it in isolation, surely that's the value of the forum - and if a reader doesn't like what's posted then why not simply exit the thread.

zakeen wrote:

Tippster

by Tippster

:exactly:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I think it's worth discussing.

I've never had a coach of whom to ask such questions (although I'm currently working on my own coaching accreditation).

Your body will perform as you train it.

I'd recommend doing more TT rides if you intend to do more races of that nature.