Lightest chain for campy 10?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

I wanna get some opinions for my new project!I wanna get a light chain for my campy!I got kmc in my mind.Gimme more options!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xcfisher

by xcfisher

all things considered, I'd go with the X10SL.

Starter

by Starter

Ugh. I hate KMC chains. They come covered with this horrible goo that's difficult to get off, and if left on will goop up your drive-train. I just spent half an hour removing chainrings and scrubbing them with a soft scouring pad in various mixtures of paint thinner, alcohol, baby-oil, and dishwashing soap... finally got the KMC sludge off them... the washing loosened it enough that hard rubbing with a rag took it off...
Oof.

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

@Starter--i just dip my new KMC Chains in gasoline and the "goop" comes off right away after stirring for 30seconds. That's it--i have had durability probs doing it this way since i used Regina 6 speed chains in the 80's

Yiannis-Super 6.

by Yiannis-Super 6.

Gold Knight wrote:@Starter--i just dip my new KMC Chains in gasoline and the "goop" comes off right away after stirring for 30seconds. That's it--i have had durability probs doing it this way since i used Regina 6 speed chains in the 80's

So why not stop then? :?
10 SuperSix Hi-Mod
07 System 6.
06 Caad 8
90s Merlin Extralight.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Starter wrote:Ugh. I hate KMC chains. They come covered with this horrible goo that's difficult to get off, and if left on will goop up your drive-train. I just spent half an hour removing chainrings and scrubbing them with a soft scouring pad in various mixtures of paint thinner, alcohol, baby-oil, and dishwashing soap... finally got the KMC sludge off them... the washing loosened it enough that hard rubbing with a rag took it off...

Hi,

Always remove the wax from a new chain before putting it on a bike than lube it and let it sink in overnight.

The wax is meant as to prevent the chain from rusting during transport or stockage.

I use gasoline or petrol as well and it works just fine while not stripping the metal blank.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

DaveS

by DaveS

Nearly every brand has a sticky grease preservative on it. KMC is no worse than most and it's no reason to avoid buying it. The new Campy 11 speed chain has as much goo on it as any.

Mineral spirits will remove the goo in a minute or two. I use an old water bottle about 2/3 full of MS, drop the chain in and shake for awhile. Remove the chain and wipe dry. The MS can be reused many times for general degreasing.

After degreasing, apply your lube of choice and allow to dry.

Gasoline is not a good choice for degreasing from a safety standpoint. It's much more volatile than mineral spirits, naptha, kerosene or diesel fuel.

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

gas evaporates pretty quick--BUT my friend and i once soaked a chain in gas and put it on my Pinarello Treviso SLX (way back when) and lit it on fire (heat treated)--it was pretty neat riding around for a few seconds with a fire chain. there was damage to the chrome chain stay though as i remember.

Scottybee

by Scottybee

Gold Knight wrote:gas evaporates pretty quick--BUT my friend and i once soaked a chain in gas and put it on my Pinarello Treviso SLX (way back when) and lit it on fire (heat treated)--it was pretty neat riding around for a few seconds with a fire chain. there was damage to the chrome chain stay though as i remember.

I wanna firechain!
17 and stupid, bear with me

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Going back to the original question..the KMC/Yaban/KCNC (they are all the same) X10SL are probably the best bet unless you have ample fund$$$ and decide to go with the Wippermann 10-speed Titanium (+$300) or the New Yaban X10Sl Titanium ($200-$250)....

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

jmartpr wrote:Going back to the original question..the KMC/Yaban/KCNC (they are all the same)

Similar. As far as I am aware KMC and Yaban are different physical factories - ie. true manufacturers. I am not aware of KCNC making or marketing any chains yet.
V.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

vmajor wrote:
jmartpr wrote:Going back to the original question..the KMC/Yaban/KCNC (they are all the same)

Similar. As far as I am aware KMC and Yaban are different physical factories - ie. true manufacturers. I am not aware of KCNC making or marketing any chains yet.
V.

The KCNC is a re-branded Yaban...I know as we have them on stock, both regular X10Sl and the new Titanium. Was under the impression Yaban and KMC were the same...they look identical in design.

On the Yaban Titanium SL our verified weight for a gold one in 116 links is 230 grams.

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

the KMC and the Yaban light chains are different indeed--i have both and decided to run the KMC due to looks and they are a few grams lighter as well. The Yaban is more flared inward at the plates than the KMC. The Wippermann ti chain i had for a few months before i broke it during a ride (probably my fault since one of the plates pulled out of the rivit--maybe a closing issue i don't know as i sold that thing after it happened). interesting to see if the KMC ti chain will be any more durable than the Wipp ti?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Amadeus

by Amadeus

In 10speed I do prefer

1-Camapgnolo
2-KMC x10 SL

Degrease and then lube with whatever you like .....
In fact even lubrication with 20W40 motor oil works fine..... :wink:

But if you like a clean chain Prolink Chainluber from “Progold lubricants” is real nice but only apply this on a clean chain!
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.