D2 shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

I got my custom D2 Pro Road shoes. The pair of 42.5 3E shoes weighs 442 grams, without the custom orthotic insoles. That weight is 82 grams more than my R7 shoes. (I knew that before ordering). The orthotic insoles add 109 grams.

D2 places the 3-hole bolt pattern further back if you specify the use of speedplay cleats. With most other shoes, I place the 3-hole adapter as far back as it will go, but with these shoes, I've got it as far forward as it will go and the cleats still appear to be in the same position I’ve been using.

I got my first test ride in and the shoes felt great, right from the start. I’ve got very high arches and I’ve never had insoles that provided full support before.

I had a hard time deciding on the color, but since my bikes all have some sort of red/black color scheme; I decided to break from the common silver and black colors to something on the wild side. The color is a true red, not orange, so if your picture looks orange, adjust the color. I already know that you'll either love them or hate them. That's OK, I don't like white shoes (or white bikes). With D2 you can pick anything you want.

Last edited by DaveS on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Sorry not my cup of tea. Have you seen the "Wizard of Oz" lately? :oops:
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

robncircus

by robncircus

I have heard good things about their shoes. Any pics of the sole? My next pair I think will be from Bont since there is a rep not far from my house that can take the molding.

Rob
Brewer McFadden says "Everyday should be the best day ever"

NS

by NS

Last time I saw a pair of shoes like that the wearer was being introduced by PT Barnum :)

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The looks are not the point.

You can spec a whole slew of options...

The high arch accomodation thing is actually pretty critical with D2...

I have Esoles and in the new Bontrager shoes, or Northwave, they work well. But another guy at Pez has feet that have arches that would make a Camel want to fuch his feet... He can't get proper orthitics inside shoes and have enough room. No problem at all for D2 to make something that not only fit, but when fastened they looked normal instead of just about every stock shoe looking like they're about to burst...

STARNUT

by STARNUT

those (DaveS') are badASS................................ I like the color combo.

I'm going to have to suck it up and get a pair............

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

CharlesM

by CharlesM

robncircus wrote:I have heard good things about their shoes. Any pics of the sole?

My next pair I think will be from Bont since there is a rep not far from my

Rob

Review's here,

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=3893

but they've updated their shoe a little (nothing that changes anything said in the review except that a couple things got better...). The footbed is better for instance.

As for Bont, the largest differences are that Bont are not reworkable. The molded sole and foot bed, if not dead on, are not very easy to retool to get perfect. D2 are extremely easy to adjust.

The second thing is the ventilation. I finally ran into someone with Bont's where I live just this month. He's had them for a while but he doesn'y wear them when it's warm, so I didn's see em till January (this is Arizona though)...

leonsrocketcar

by leonsrocketcar

is that a footmax orthotic in your D2s? or the mold in-sole

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I think both shoes (Mine and his) are D2... Mine are older.

kytyree

by kytyree

I like the look of the shoes, but then I have a pair on the way and they are pretty loud. They look similar to the ones in Pez's review but I think I added and/or moved around some color.

I am going to talk to them some more about cleat placement on mine before they get here. With one of my feet smaller than the other and the addition of the orthotics I want to get their thoughts on what a good starting point will be.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

If you can take a picture of the bottom of your current shoes with a tape measue placed down the length, that might help them... Call em and ask though. That's probably not exactly what they would want.

kytyree

by kytyree

I'm going to speak with them about it. I don't know that much can be made of where I have had them as I have worn larger shoes than I measure for in order to accommodate my unusual foot shape. I believe that is probably why on my sidi's I have always been most comfortable with the cleats slid all the way back. Now though with the last of the shoe shaped to my feet and one shoe made smaller to fit my wee foot I think things might work out a little different.

Either way I will talk to them about it and see what they think.

DaveS

by DaveS

Here's a pic of the insole. It's a very firm foam rubber. The bottom says Amfit on it.

http://www.orthoticshop.com/custom-orth ... otics.html

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I'm glad you got the D2's DaveS. They will serve you well. I cant comment on the color scheme except that it takes a big man to wear those colors.

You can take off the front toe pads and six screw to save some weight ;) since you likely walk on your cleats anyway.

It takes a tiny man to wear orange argyle though-

My D2 footbed orthodic is marbled.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

ty-ro

by ty-ro

I've got some on the way this week I think. They are going to be the D2 "house special" color combo. I don't know what they'll look like, but I'll post a pic when I get them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com