power meters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roca rule

by roca rule

the cheapest power meter or power meassuring device?
just to have an idea of my power output. i already looked at the polar cs600 with power around 600 us dollars. is there a cheaper option. i do not see myself spending more than 1000 dolars on a powermeter.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

would have though a second hand powertap setup
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

STARNUT

by STARNUT

The polar is about as cheap as your going to get with any form if reliability and repeatability.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

ibikes basic meter starts at $199

czvekslak

by czvekslak

iBike Sport that just came out is $199. You can upgrade it down the road if you really get into power training. I run the 2nd generation Aero and I love it, light, easy to instal, not stuck with one wheel or a super expensive crank.

roca rule

by roca rule

thanks guys i am just usinh it to pacemyself on the hills i usually do a 60 mile ride that ends with a 10 mile hill with a little bit over 2400ft elevation gain. and for a local hill which is around 2 miles at 6-8% grade. i am just trying to get in shape so i can start racing this year.

roca rule

by roca rule

have you used them.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

roca rule wrote:thanks guys i am just usinh it to pacemyself on the hills i usually do a 60 mile ride that ends with a 10 mile hill with a little bit over 2400ft elevation gain. and for a local hill which is around 2 miles at 6-8% grade. i am just trying to get in shape so i can start racing this year.

The iBike Sport model is great for that and they are only $200. It's the same unit as the Pro, but you have no download capability... though you can upgrade to that later if you wish... and I think you will want to if you are serious about training.

Concerning long climbs... it's really common for people to go out to hard in the beginning, die after a few minutes, and struggle the rest of the way. If I pace myself evenly, the beginning feels too easy, but I'm faster overall and feel way better at the end.

djconnel

by djconnel

roca rule wrote:the cheapest power meter or power meassuring device?.

Stop watch and a hill.

mds

by mds

I have been using the $200 iBike iSport for a few weeks. I've found it useful for pacing purposes as well as reasonably accurate and repeatable on climbs. On flats it is harder for me to gauge accuracy and repeatability, but I would guess it is likely less accurate and less repeatable due to calibration and rider position issues. For $200 I think it is a good value. For the price I'd much rather have it than not. I can understand now why people swear by power - it is just so helpful. A lot has been written about iBike, both positive and negative. But you need to keep in mind its limitations as a power estimator and not expect too much. If accuracy, reliability and repeatability are paramount in all riding conditions, I suggest you spend the $ and go with SRM.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

djconnel wrote:Stop watch and a hill.

Sucks for pacing... and doesn't work at all if there is wind.

roca rule

by roca rule

rruff wrote:
djconnel wrote:Stop watch and a hill.

Sucks for pacing... and doesn't work at all if there is wind.

well that was the way i used to do it and i was able to maintain 10 mph over a mile at 8%. (did i mention this was running not on the bike).

fujiteam

by fujiteam

I would say go with a used Powertap. There are a lot on ebay. Ibike does not work on stationary trainers. I tried setting up the polar power stuff and quit after 2 hours, my chain stays are slightly curved making it hard to mount.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

fujiteam wrote:Ibike does not work on stationary trainers.

Works well enough if you have speed/power curve for your trainer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leloby

by Leloby

Powertap Pro or whatever is the cheapest wirey version.

They don't weigh a ton, are nicely made, easily swappable freehubs, don't suffer from drop-outs and with an extra bike mount, easily transferrable.

Good backup service too and plenty software available.