I need a stem with a low stack height ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

adgem1

by adgem1

I have been sent a medium litespeed instead of the small that I sent back due to a warranty issue ,thats not a problem as it was border line any way ,the only problem is the headtube is longer and my steerer was cut short so I am looking for a stem with a stack height less than my deda newton that is 37mm ,cheers
Scott spark LTD,Kinesis -crosslight PRO 5,kinesis evo,TK,Orbea alma,Canyon Ultimate cf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Starter

by Starter

adgem1 wrote:I have been sent a medium litespeed instead of the small that I sent back due to a warranty issue ,thats not a problem as it was border line any way ,the only problem is the headtube is longer and my steerer was cut short so I am looking for a stem with a stack height less than my deda newton that is 37mm ,cheers

How much lower? The Newton is known for having a very low stack height... some sites quote 37 like you, others 36. The Thomson X2 is 36, bonafide. How much stack do you have on your headset, maybe you can lower that too? If not, it may be time for a new fork.

Is the current one from Litespeed? They should warranty that too, given your circumstances. Even if it's not, they should at least give you a killer deal on a fork, seeing as how you wouldn't be in this bind if not for their product failure...

jjmstang

by jjmstang

Rotor S1 has a 34mm stack height.
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

adgem1, you can also try lowering the stack height of you top cup/dust cap...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... c&start=15
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Starter

by Starter

jjmstang wrote:Rotor S1 has a 34mm stack height.

Great call- totally forgot about that stem.

adgem1

by adgem1

I have a chris king headset on it ,may be the rotor will sort it ,and I think a team mate was selling one last year .
Scott spark LTD,Kinesis -crosslight PRO 5,kinesis evo,TK,Orbea alma,Canyon Ultimate cf

CTiride

by CTiride

you could also try using a headset with a lower stack height; extralite or crankbrothers for example.

jamiewilson3

by jamiewilson3

The Newton is listed as 37mm according to one site. The Extralite will only be 3mm difference. How much difference do you need?

CTiride

by CTiride

jamiewilson3 wrote:The Extralite will only be 3mm difference.

If that was in response to my post, I was referring to the headset, not the stem, which would yield roughly an additional cm of steerer tube (31.4 for the King vs 20.5 for the Extralite). The lower cup stack is height is 3-4mm less on the Extralite which would change the steering geometry of the bike.

adgem1

by adgem1

more the better, 3mm would probably do ,its just that the top bolt hasnt really got much to clamp on ,a lot of this is also to blame on those crap easton beartrap adjusters ,ended up over tightning stem and splitting the steerer and having to cut 10mm off the easton ec90 slx fork , then the frame snapped and they gave me a bigger size every mil counts

anarchy

by anarchy

Easton do a cap and plug so it negates having to use those crappy bear traps, worse than fsa cranks for coming loose!!!!!!!!
go vegan go faster

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Those crank brothers headsets are really nice for the money. They have really low stack heights and are lightweight. But, it's hard to give up a Chris King :)