Bargain Frameset... Blackhawk Evolution - I'm the Guinea Pig

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Starter

by Starter

Saw this a few days ago... pulled the trigger this evening. Blackhawk is an Australian company distributed by Redline Composites... essentially a re-brander, but they seem to be getting some nice stuff, this frame is all Toray T1000 carbon, full monocoque construction. I got it for $975 shipped... I think it's pretty sexy. Weight isn't too bad at 1280 for a medium (including the seatmast), but definitely not crazy WW. With my setup it will build to right around 14.8... not terrible for an aero road bike.

Anybody recognize the profile as something else? I've been wondering if Blackhawk gets this made for them, or if it's actually something else with different graphics...

I'll post a ride report once I have a ride or two on it. Hopefully I've found a bargain...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

karmaportrait

by karmaportrait

i recognize some of their things as coming from here

Phill P

by Phill P

Where are redline based in OZ? Thier prices for bikes/frames/wheels is really low. The wheels are certianly interesting. They need FAR more info on thier website, no geometries and in some cases no parts specs etc.

I couldn't get the bike dome website to open either. Probably a config issue with the computers at work.

whodah

by whodah

The paint scheme looks like madone...
and I notice some of their stuffs are from FIGMO/EDGE DESIGN

Herbert

by Herbert

How many million new brands are out there now? And I use the term "brand" very loosely here. It is crazy.

Phill P

by Phill P

The figmo/edge hubs look similar too. Where are they getting the hubs from?

Dalai

by Dalai

Phill P wrote:Where are redline based in OZ?

Not sure. Address not listed on their site... http://redlinecomposites.com

Phill P

by Phill P

Thanks Dalai. I have a good look at thier website, can't find them in whitepages anywhere as well.

Found more details on the hubs (got the bikedome website to load properly). 9mm Al front axles......carbon shell front hub as low as 87grams. Probably not stiff enough and have bearing issues like M1 and AC front hubs. Rear hub has 10mm steel or ti axle, going as low as 245grams.
I get the feeling bikedome are a trading and graphic design company anyway, don't actually manf anything. SO still interested in who actually makes the hubs etc.

Starter

by Starter

Yeah, looks to be just a guy and a phone number... Stuart Walker. I'm assuming he's the rep.

A closer inspection of the site revealed that they are offering bikes and components "to the Australian market"... doesn't say they are in Australia. I'm assuming they must be Asia-based... certainly their manufacturing site is. I guess this makes them kind of a down-under FSA in that respect.

So has anybody managed to place the frame yet? I have yet to find a match... I'm beginning to think Blackhawk may actually have designed it... perhaps some of their stuff is their own design, and then they fill out their frame and component lineup with rebranded stuff...

Phill P

by Phill P

Its an Australia mobile phone number. So unless he bought an Australian mobile phone then took back to Asia to cop huge phone bills you can be sure he is hiding some where in OZ.

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

The frame looks similar to some of our stuff (the Figmo ISP3 namely), but it is about 350-400g heavier and the seat stays are different.

I could not get the site to load, but when I visited it before their source was not the same as the Figmo/Edge.

I have yet to identify all the sources of supply, so I truly look forward to the Taipei Bike show in a couple of months :D

V.

Starter

by Starter

vmajor wrote:The frame looks similar to some of our stuff (the Figmo ISP3 namely), but it is about 350-400g heavier and the seat stays are different.

I could not get the site to load, but when I visited it before their source was not the same as the Figmo/Edge.

I have yet to identify all the sources of supply, so I truly look forward to the Taipei Bike show in a couple of months :D

V.

You guys have an ISP frame that weighs less than 900g?!

EDIT: just checked out the Figmo site... according to the ISP3 specs, I'm thinking the difference is closer to 280g, with both frames in a 54. But then the other thing is, Figmo's claimed weights are for unpainted frames, while the guy at OhioTri weighed mine as-is at 1280g. Paint usually adds another 100g... I'm thinking the actual difference is closer to 180g...
Last edited by Starter on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

vmajor

by vmajor

Yes and yes :-)

Full coverage paint adds about 120g to the frame weight. mask +paint as on your frame adds about 70-80g.

Even unpainted frames have lacquer so the difference is not that great between painted and unpainted weights.

V.

Starter

by Starter

vmajor wrote:Yes and yes :-)

Full coverage paint adds about 120g to the frame weight. mask +paint as on your frame adds about 70-80g.

Even unpainted frames have lacquer so the difference is not that great between painted and unpainted weights.

V.

So Figmo's quote of 1067g for a 57 (that's how I estimated 1000g even for a 54) is with clearcoat?... if so, that's damn impressive. :D One of the lightest ISP bikes I've heard of... my friend's $3k Addict frame was supposed to be around that, but weighed in heavier... I'm hoping to shed more than a bit when I cut down the seatmast... according to the guy at OhioTri, this frame has an unusually long one... fingers crossed! :wink:

vmajor

by vmajor

Yes it is with a clear coat and the final top 3k weave carbon layer.

The Ditec stuff is even crazier, 760g for size 48cm, but no ISP.

V.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com