ritchey WCS

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

i have a riychy WCS stem that is great, and it weighs about 143 grams for a 120. I'm pretty sure the bolts are all steel, but does anyone know for sure, and what bolt sizes i would need if i replaced them with ti? OFf hand does anyone know how much this would cost?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Can't answer your questions....but I was wondering how long you have had the Ritchy stem and how it is holding up. Also what is your bike set-up. I'm spec'ing a new bike and was looking at that stem.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I've had the stem about a year, and its awesome. Its on my singlespeed, which is reynolds steel, I have an older top-level manitou mars fork, etc, nothing spectacular. I had a syncros stem before i got the ritchey, and the ritchey is a lot nicer and lighter. The angles are prefect, angled up, it provides a nice upright position, angled down it becomes flat (due to the headtube angle) and puts you in a nice racy position. Its very stiff, especially for its weight (not a gossamer, but it will hold up for a long time) I definitly give it my recomendation.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Thanks!! Thinking about putting it on a titus racer-x with a maxim isogrid riser bar and a fox 80x shock. I race mostly cross country and xterra tri's.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

x-terraracer, where are you at? Just asking because titus frames are built less than a mile from my house. I used to work at a shop where a number of very regular customers had titus bikes that were absolute nightmares (albeit older frames) just wondering if you were in AZ and what you thought of your frame. Oh, all the titus frames with problems were Ti. There were a number of them that broke numerous time due to poor welds, and when titus fixed the breaks (which they always did in their defense) it was kind of a slap together job. Have you had any probelms? just wondering.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I live in CO. I haven't bought it yet. I was looking at the Al racer-x that my shop sponsor carries. They all (shop guys) ride them and haven't had a single problem with there frames.

I only know one person up here that has one of the ti frames and it held up very well for her race during the last race season.

I'm also considering the new GT IDXS, mainly because I can get a smoking deal on the yet to be released pro version.

tommasini

by tommasini

I replaced my steel bolts on my ritchey WCS with TI from Redmist in US

Fronts are M5 x 15 and rear are M6 x 20 ground down a bit to match the original length.

Cost was about $15 plus shipping - saves 11 grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

thanks tommasini!