Light 27.2 seat post options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

[EDITED by me to update]

I managed to get a few trek goodies. One of those goodies is a Bontrager XXX lite stem in 120 mm. the stem is kinda hideous on its own, but with some tlc it could be turned into something nice for shure. I will replace the stock steel bolts with Ti. Then I bit the bullet and pulled out the waterproof sandpaper and a tub of water. and started sanding. the cap will be polished as well. (or painted white. not shure yet)

The original:

Midway:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5334/dscf0007ys3.jpg

After the sanding The stem was cleaned so the laquer would adhere better. I then threaded a bolt into one of the sockets and connected a strand of rope to the bolt. This way you can hang the stem. F.I. inside a box. then just grab the moment you feel the most brave and spray!
While holding the stem by the bolt so you can rotate it to get the laquer on every spot. Do it layer by layer with 10 to 15 mins intervals. I think I gave this stem two layers.
Leave it to dry till the laquer is "touch dry" and then put it in the oven on a low temparature for ~30/45 mins to harden the paint.

ok, here are some pics of the finished product.

It has had two coats right now, It has been in the oven to help the paint cure better. Now I still need to polish it a few times with car wax. Wax on.. Wax off...

Please note I did leave a small xxx lite logo on. but that is going to face the ground. I left it on so people can still see it is a simple bonty stem.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PhilThee

by PhilThee

Nice job man. I do like the Shiny finish.
How did you manage to spray clear on it?

Are you using an air gun. That's something I don't have access to.
** WANTED BLACK Cannondale Full Carbon forks.Please PM me with what you have. I need a 8.5+inch steerer tube length.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Thanks!

[rest of the body removed, because I edited my post above.]
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

You have cleverly obscured by your choice of picture angles whether the Bonty "B" remains proudly displayed on the face plate for all to see.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

hahaha,

Indeed. rest assured the B is still there. I couldn't find the guts ti drill it out. The "B" still proudly sits there. I don't really care since it is the first letter of my last name as well.

If some one (with the knowledge) jumps and says it is safe to remove the "B" I might still do it.

I really hope the OP get's motivated by my post to do the handywork himself! :D

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

It's just my personal opinion that the "B" on the face plate is the cheesiest looking part of the original stem. I don't think the graphics you removed looked that bad.

DaveS

by DaveS

PhilThee wrote:How about the FSA K force Carbon?

Scratch that. I just saw some pictures of the clamp. It has notches.

I just bought a new 32mm setback FSA K-force. It does not have notched adjustment, but it does weight 235 grams in the 350mm length. Cutting 50mm off will only drop the weight 20-25 grams.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Frankie - B wrote:why don't you get a XXX lite and sand the crap out of it. It is pretty easy. I've done it to a XXX lite stem. After the sanding give it a few clear coats and be happy with it!

Nice work. I chose to quote this one instead of the photo-heavy posts.
How much weight did you reduce from the original?
What is the final weight?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Not trying to be witty, but instead of a quote you can also use: @ frankie or whoever you need to.

Ok, you just happen to ask this 4 days after I made a copy of my harddisk and formated the disk of my notebook. Now I'm using a fresh version of windows again. All of the pics are on the external disk... I will update, but with a delay.

Thanks for the fact that you like my work though

PhilThee

by PhilThee

PhilThee wrote:
How did you spray the clear on it?

Are you using an air gun. That's something I don't have access to.
** WANTED BLACK Cannondale Full Carbon forks.Please PM me with what you have. I need a 8.5+inch steerer tube length.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Anyone use Control tech "wepost"
looks light with setback.Any feedback?

Miele

by Miele

I purchased this one at 190 grams for $50.00. Works great and at a long 350 mm you can cut some off to save more.

http://www.kbcyclewerks.com/edge-phanto ... cPath=2_40

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I've used an OEM seatpost for the past 4-5 years. Considering steel bolts with infinite adjustment and at 350mm, 25mm setback at 27.2mm, it weighs in 180g +/- . Fits the bill ?

Drop me a PM if you're interested as I still 1 or 2 somewhere in the storeroom.

JPJ

by JPJ

I know, it seems like this is a never ending question..

Have searched through older threads, and looked around a while..

This is to go on my B&W gloss Cannondale Evo, the FSA K Force light one that came with the bike has too much (25mm) setback..

I have tried the USE Alien on my Supersix, but 10mm isn't quite enough, and I really dislike the clamp, + the 3K carbon won't match!
I don't want Aluminium, has to be carbon, ideally UD (Thompson Masterpiece is out then, and KCNC)..

Syntace P6, and probably not enough setback, (and a bit heavy)
Zipp Carbon, OK 20mm, setback, still a bit heavy, could cut down..
Ritchey, too much setback, ditto ENVE, ditto 3T
AX lightness, too exe

Just something lightweight <180g, that looks good, nice organic shape at the clamp, decent fixing system etc!! :?

There are a few on r2-bike.de that look OK, but again, not many in the 15-20mm setback..

Too much to ask?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justanewbie

by justanewbie

You could always nicely ask Jure from Berk composites if he could build you one to your desired specs.