Triathlon New Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ladeira

by Ladeira

Hello everyone,

My name is Thiago and i am 25 year old from Brasil.

For 2009 i want to get a real race bike for my triathlons competitions. 70.3 but aiming for 140.6

I have a KHS Flite that im going to use as a everyday trainning ride!!

I would like to know from the triathles, since im a newbie on the sport, what is the opnion about frames.

Im 180cm with 66kg so im a weightweenie my self. Ill be using ZIP 808 on the rear and 404 on the front. I will use RED and DA 7800 components.

Since im not a pro, but want a good frame, it reaches a high level that preatty much the frames are all the same. If i were a pro and lived on triathlon it would make a diferent, not my case!

Si if you guys could help me choose i will be really happy.

Cervele P3C 2009 Frameset - US $ 3.300
S Works Transition 2009 Frameset (crank, stem, posts, brakes) - US $ 3.500
Fondriest TF1 Crono FrameSet - Dunno the price but is going to higher than the firsts i mentioned.
Felt DA - Couldnt get a frameset price
Isaac frameset 2008 (top one, forgot the name, sorry :D) - US $ 3.000

I kinda decided to go with P3 but when i saw price of transition got back on chosing frames..

Thanks in advance!

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I like the P3 but you can probably get the whole Felt DA bike for not much more. Also, be aware that the p3 has incompatabilities with some Zipp and other wheels. I think the 808's are ok, but you need to check The Cervelo web site. Also, since the P4 is out, you might be able to get a very good deal on a used P3 since some will be selling their P3's to get P4's
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Waldo
in the industry

by Waldo

The 404 and 808 are compatible with the P3. The uncertainties surrounding wheel compatibility and Cervelos that have gained traction recently on various forums are specific to the S3 and P4 and should be resolved when Cervelo updates their site, which I'm told should be in the near future.
ENVE contract engineer | Former Zipp test engineer

Ladeira

by Ladeira

Im kinda wanting to go with the P3...

But for US $ 3.300 for the frame and + US 200 or + US 300 for the transition with crank and stem wouldnt it be a better deal?

yesterday i got to know the argorn18 114 frameset that includs aerobar for US $ 3.900.

My concern is loosing a good deal like those by getting a "empty" cervelo frame....

What do u guys think?

Like i said, it gets to a point that the frames are the same because i woudnt notice the diference betwen them...

Dalai

by Dalai

Are you able to test ride these bikes first to be sure it fits right?

The P3C isn't a great fit for many people with the short head tube. Especially aiming for IM most tend to have the bars set a little higher for comfort over the distance (no point having an aero bike and riding half the course sitting up) and therefore ride with a huge stack of spacers... Have you considered the P2C?

Personally I'd go with the P3C if they are a comparable fit on your list. I prefer the look of the Cervelo and is a proven aero design.

Just remember fit and body position is the most important consideration to which aero frame to choose followed a close second which bike you like the look of most. As a bike you love and fit well on is a bike you will want to race and train on :wink:

Ladeira

by Ladeira

Thats the thing Dalai..

Im not going to be able to test ride any of the frames.

Im going on a 2 days trip to US get frame and wheels and come back to Brasil. Need to be dicided what and where to get before going..

Aeroposition isnt a big deal for me.. I can hold the position for big distances...

But the right and logical thing to do would be test ride them, but unfortunaly that will not happen, so i need adivice from you guys that have riden it!

Thanks for the attentions

dmotoguy

by dmotoguy

no love for the cannondale slice?

Ladeira

by Ladeira

Cannondale is a super MTB, but IMO i dont like the TT / Triathlon frame!

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Actually the P2C suggestion is pretty good. 2 guys I know got P2C's that wanted P3's after finding out that the overall drag was only about 2 watts more and the price difference was huge. And now that the P4 came out the P2C frames are even cheaper. I was kidding one buddy that bought his frame in June in October that his frame was now $500 less than he just paid.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Dalai

by Dalai

Not sure where in the States you plan on flying, but Nytro in San Diego have a fly and try program (I have no affiliation, bought one seat post from them ~5 years ago).

http://www.nytro.com/Articles.asp?ID=114

They stock Cervelo and Felt (also Cannondale in case you change your mind seeing one in the flesh)

gr8fulrydr

by gr8fulrydr

You should go over to slowtwitch.com and get some tri specific feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

Cervelo, Felt and Blue all have nice tri bikes these days. For dollar to speed the cervelo p2c is the way to go.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens