Trek 9.8 or Rocky scandium Vertex?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

limba

by limba

If you were building the ultimate hardtail which frame would you choose out of these two?The Trek is $1900 and the Rocky is $1800 Canadian.
Pick one then suggest some other hardtail frames/bikes.Thanks.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Rocky... Much Lighter, cheaper, stiff and comfortable ride.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... .php?t=721

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elendil

by elendil

Rocky, stiffer and beautiful.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

From the two bike's i'd choose the rocky. But what about the Giant XTC Rigid for 499 euro. or the XTC hybrid for 899 euro. The hybrid has carbon rear forks.

I don't like the brand, but theire good!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

eurorider

by eurorider

I too am wondering which way to go for my next bike ...a carbon like the 9.8 or a scandium like the vertex SC ....tim said that the rocky is stiffer and more comfortable ...is this even possible?...give me the low down on carbon and scandium bikes guys ...i've never got to experience either!

well being a Canadian, it would be nice to ride on the Rocky if it is indeed lighter (for a given size) and cheaper :)

eurorider

by eurorider

also, if scandium is the ideal choice, then why wouldn't F1 cars ditch their carbon chassis in favour of scandium ones?!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Maybe F1 is a litle different then mtb riding :?: ie. different speeds? 4 wheels in stead of 2. Having an engine. :!:
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

drew

by drew

Frankie - B wrote:Maybe F1 is a litle different then mtb riding :?: ie. different speeds? 4 wheels in stead of 2. Having an engine. :!:

And Schumaker gets payed WAY more than Roland Green :D

drew

by drew

eurorider wrote:I too am wondering which way to go for my next bike ...a carbon like the 9.8 or a scandium like the vertex SC ....tim said that the rocky is stiffer and more comfortable ...is this even possible?...give me the low down on carbon and scandium bikes guys ...i've never got to experience either!

well being a Canadian, it would be nice to ride on the Rocky if it is indeed lighter (for a given size) and cheaper :)

I would have thought that carbon would give a better ride than thin walled scandium

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Yeah, I (and Roland) would dream of Shumacher's pay check!

Go for the Scandium. It really rides better!

limba

by limba

I already own a Voodoo Limba 'cross bike built out of scandium and I love it.I thought everyone would say get the the Trek.It's supposed to be one of the best hardtail frames made.Maybe I underestimated the Rocky Mtn.They weigh almost the same and cost almost the same so I just want to know which rides better?

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Trek 9.8 = based on old design its heavy around 4lb for given size i believe. Actully i shouldve not said rocky was stiffer, but for given weight and comfort its stiff.
But trek is stiff as hell it ride like a log wood and the bike feels alot like log wood. It make those weird "waaaaaa" sound when you ride, perosnally i thought the ride was POS. Not worth the money IMO. Anyways my rocky vertex is 2002, lighter than 2003 and 2004 vertex SC.
And i only payed half of retail $1200 USD through clearance.

eurorider

by eurorider

so i think we can conclude that the carbon 9.8 is stiffer than the vertex scandium ...yet you all are saying go for the vertex ...i thought that the stiffer the frame, the less power you waste and the more accurate the handling because the suspension is able to work more efficiently (that's why i was comparing to F1)...is this more true for a full suspension bike? ...is the fact that they are hardtails mean that they need some "give" to compensate for not having rear susp.?

also, the 9.8 won last year not the Vertex scandium ..is it mostly rider dependent or was the 9.8 actually the best bike?

and then what is up with the S-works epic winning this year ...maybe a hardtail is not the best route to take ...

someone please explain all these things so i can understand better!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

If you put the best rider of the season on a bike of your choice, adjust the sizes to the preferred of the rider. And the bike will be a winner!
I really doesn't matter on what bike they ride!

The Epic whas probably setup with a locked rear shock. It's all promo! Like a few years back. The complete pro flex squad rode with the rear shock tuned so tight that it wouldn't give any sus. :shock:

elendil

by elendil

That's it. You won't win on a 10.000 bucks bike if you don't have the right "engine" on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com