Scott Spark replacment shock?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

adgem1

by adgem1

I am thinking of replacing the shock on my Scott Spark with a non piggyback version say a Fox rp23 or Rockshox monach 4.2 .Can anybody advise me on what the implications are with changing the shock ,cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

There has been a couple of discussions on this in th epast...do a search. I changed the stock shock for a Fox RP23. It's a very personal choice on how and where you ride. I hated playing you the locking lever all the time and I really like a set-and-forget approach for shock tuning, so the Fox was for me a better choice. In Propedal #2 there almost no bobbing and you can always switch to open on the fly. You also drop 40 grams on the shock and a couple more for the lever and cable.

adgem1

by adgem1

I haven t built the frame up yet but the bobbing concerns me that I read about ,I am used to a Trek Top Fuel that does nt bob .Do you like the Spark it looks good

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

adgem1 wrote:I haven t built the frame up yet but the bobbing concerns me that I read about ,I am used to a Trek Top Fuel that does nt bob .Do you like the Spark it looks good

In that case I would go for the RP23....with the DT options you have to be switching between open, 70% and lock in order to extract good performance....the fuel doesn't work that way.

mattr

by mattr

adgem1 wrote:I haven t built the frame up yet but the bobbing concerns me that I read about ,I am used to a Trek Top Fuel that does nt bob .Do you like the Spark it looks good

Try setting it up first and see if it actually does bob.

One persons bobbing, is another persons tracking the terrain nicely........

(apparently my forks ALL bob like crazy, and i MUST get a fork that locks out IMMEDIATELY, can't say i've ever noticed it myself.......)

adgem1

by adgem1

The other reason is the frame is a small and there is know room for a large bottle as the piggyback shock encroaches ,does that sound drastic

mattr

by mattr

adgem1 wrote:The other reason is the frame is a small and there is know room for a large bottle as the piggyback shock encroaches, does that sound drastic

Depends what you are using the bike for........ anything with pits/support, i'd stick with the existing shock and see if the performance is ok first.

If it's for marathon or unsupported racing, you may (realistically) have no other choice.

Glad i know this tho, the missus is after (possibly) a spark for next year.

adgem1

by adgem1

I have bought it to replace my Trek top fuel 110 ,I was after the new top fuel 9.9ssl frame only but trek arnt doing frame only so I got the Spark instead ,I will be using it for nps x.c ,marathons and also the Grand Raid Cristalp that Iam doing again so will need the choice of a large bottle as I wont be supported .

mattr

by mattr

will having a large bottle help then? Some of those sound like monsters!

The difference between 500ml and 750ml on a 2 hour + race is clutching at straws.

Try bottles for supported events (NPS XC (?)) and a small (2L?) camelback for everything else.

mattr

by mattr

adgem1

by adgem1

Well that is what I have been doing last few years and managed o.k although I do get a bottle passed up at an n.p.s ,and I managed with a 750ml bottle at Grand Raid just did quick refills at feed zones reckon I would be stretched with a 500ml although wont know until I have rode it .Are you riding a Spark Matt ?

mattr

by mattr

no, just for NPS XC type races i only ever used one 500 ml bottle. and a fresh passed up every lap.

Next year i may (along with the wife) be investing in one tho.

adgem1

by adgem1

If I dont like it I will give you first refusal .Hopefully my wife can support me this year as we have some races close by .

adgem1

by adgem1

I rode my spark today with the new Fox rp23 shock with push conversion and it is awsome ,cant see how rear suspension can get any better than that.I have also updated my 2007 sid world cups for 09 sid world cups and they are a big improvmant aswell .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tsielio

by Tsielio

adgem1 wrote:I rode my spark today with the new Fox rp23 shock with push conversion and it is awsome ,cant see how rear suspension can get any better than that.I have also updated my 2007 sid world cups for 09 sid world cups and they are a big improvmant aswell .

What do you mean with this?
Does fox shock already exist with lockout on bars?
You didn't even try the standard Scott Nude Shock?