Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

I have my feet kicked in as much as I can normally and haven't noticed any scuffing so far. That's not to say that I haven't inadvertantly set myself up differently though. I did have reservations when I first saw them too. I wear out socks on my track bike so when I start using that in a couple of months I'd be able to give you a fairer comparison. I'll take notice of it on my next ride and get back to you properly. At this stage I'd say no problems though.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves a little less seriously.

RastaFlandrian

by RastaFlandrian

King Weel wrote:A friend of mine who rides Bont's for some months now noticed the same. In his view the buckle strap stretches under (sprinting) force and hence grow longer.

Bont is still teething a bit regarding their cycling shoes, but even so are making a superior product to what is out there, with the exception of full-custom shoes (which are at least double the price.)

They aren't completely organized as far as instructions for customer molding. If you haven't checked the Bont recommendations for molding temp. in the last 2 months, you'll see that the suggested temp. is now 15 C lower than what was originally 85 C... tha's a BIG difference. I would recommend going with the low side of what is recommended: 60-65 C.

If you tighten the straps really tightly (as the instructions indicate,) the straps stretch (of course) and stay that way when cooled. I've found that tightening them up pretty snuggly (but without tightening them down until you run out of strap) is plenty to get the shoe to mold correctly. Just remember, however much strap is left after you tighten them down during molding, will be what you have to work with after they cool, so leave yourself enough to be able to REALLY clamp them down before a sprint or a really tough hill or attack.:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

I got an email from Alex the other day saying that they had ommitted a reinforcing strap that they use in their speedskates for the sake of lower weight. If the stretching is a big issue it sounds like they will start using the reinforcing strap. Ryan Bailey just ordered a pair and Gideon Massie and a few of the Aussie sprinters are on them so no doubt the stretching thing will be sorted very soon if it is a major problem!
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves a little less seriously.

a2

by a2

Hi All

Just registered.

I have used Bont shoes for quite a while now, nearing the 4000km mark. I do a lot of cycling and racing. Prior to Bont, I have used Specialized with hard plastic like sole.

I will be posting a comprehensive review with pics very soon.

It has taken me this long because I now evaluating Northwave Aerlite with 3ply carbon soles with a stiffness rating of about 8 (don't know what that means and I am not sure where Bont stiffness rating is).

Anyway, in summary, Bont is not that perfect and still have some quality issues BUT..... you just have to wait.

Also, can someone elighten me on how to include images when posting a forum message?

Thanks

a2

tommyb

by tommyb

Any updates on these shoes?

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

I've got a fair few 1000 km's on them now. I've got what I think is a pre production version where the heal pads are part of the shoe. They are wearing quite well but I imagine that in 1-2 more years something will need to be done there.

The uppers are essentially waterproof, which is great, but are fairly soft. I've taken a bit of a chunk out from missing the pedal at the traffic lights. Uppers wash up brilliantly which is good for a white shoe

Ventilation is pretty well non existant. Half the holes are not actually holes, simply indents into the sole which comes up the side of the shoe quite a way. Basically, there's not a whole lot of light coming through to the inside of the shoe. I've ridden them in 30 + temperatures for a few hours but am yet to hit up any 6 hour rides due to illlness. Over three hours they are not uncomfortable.

Heating process is good and seemed to iron out any issues I had. Heating prior to the revised temperature did cause minor seperation issues of the upper and side of the shoe that were fixed by re heating.

Straps seem to have stretched a little. Alex Bont indicated that the extra strap reinforcement used in their skates was not used for weight savings but sounds like it will be/has been introduced. I think the stretching on my part was due to tightening when still warm.

Vertically shorter feet may have problems with the ratchet not pulling the foot securely enough into the shoe. I feel that the heel cup could use a little work as off a standing start I do not feel all that stable in the ankle/heel form side to side.

Internal padding is almost non existant, especially in comparison to something like a sidi. This is not an issue for me as they fit well but takes a little getting used to.

I've been forced into having a few small breaks due to illness and injury and have found that they take a few rides to get used to again due to the stiffness of the sole. For a road application they are probably too stiff.

For me they are pretty damn good, primarily because I need different sized shoes for each foot. The locla shop got them in to try and the owner does not like them in comparison to his sidis. shoes are personal, I'm happy but ultimately at this stage there are probably more refined products out there for those with normal feet. A brand to watch with great customer service.

Hope this helps and feel free to shoot questiosn at me, I'll try my best to give a straight answer.

jipperd

by jipperd

tommyb wrote:Any updates on these shoes?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I finally got my Bont's a couple of months ago after a very long wait (nearly 3 months).

Have to agree with most of stumpy's review of them. Comfortable in the sense that they are custom so the fit on each foot is perfect. A bit of heat moulding is possible to make it perfect-er.

But they are STIFF. Tried using them on a real long ride and my feet just ached. However unlike other shoes there was no pressure

However that being said I primarily use them for TTs so the stiffness is not a problem.

Overall great shoes in my opinion, though perhaps for not all applications.

djconnel

by djconnel

This brings up an interesting question. There's a big debate about frame flex. People are convinced every time their frame flexes, they're losing that energy, despite the fact analysis shows this is not the case, and the conservation of energy would imply that if that was lost energy something would need to heat up (the frame, for example).

But what about the shoe? If your sole flexes, you're bending it every pedal stroke. Does the shoe, like the analysis shows the frame and crank do, provide thrust when the it unflexes?

It seems to me for maximal efficiency the safe bet is with a stiff sole and thin insole, which the Bont provides. I've not done any double centuries with my Bonts, but I've done plenty of moderately long rides (100 km, for example), and haven't had a problem.

Dan

claus

by claus

After having bought (or tried) too many shoes that don't fit well, I'm considering
buying Bont shoes.
One question I have is about laces vs buckle: are the former OK to use for road riding
or are they only meant for track?

The road shoes with laces that I own have a cover on top of the laces (and two
velcro straps to hold it in place). Is there any noticeable effect of not having a cover?

Would using laces avoid the problem that has been described here about lengthening
straps?

jamiewilson3

by jamiewilson3

djconnel wrote:This brings up an interesting question. There's a big debate about frame flex. People are convinced every time their frame flexes, they're losing that energy, despite the fact analysis shows this is not the case, and the conservation of energy would imply that if that was lost energy something would need to heat up (the frame, for example).

But what about the shoe? If your sole flexes, you're bending it every pedal stroke. Does the shoe, like the analysis shows the frame and crank do, provide thrust when the it unflexes?

It seems to me for maximal efficiency the safe bet is with a stiff sole and thin insole, which the Bont provides. I've not done any double centuries with my Bonts, but I've done plenty of moderately long rides (100 km, for example), and haven't had a problem.

Dan

I personally think that shoes should be made VERY stiff. If I was a shoe maker, I would make them insanely stiff and supply them with elastomers that can be used to provide damping and cushion between the cleat and the sole - similar to Look bikes and thudbuster seatposts.

RastaFlandrian

by RastaFlandrian

claus wrote:After having bought (or tried) too many shoes that don't fit well, I'm considering
buying Bont shoes.
One question I have is about laces vs buckle: are the former OK to use for road riding
or are they only meant for track?

The road shoes with laces that I own have a cover on top of the laces (and two
velcro straps to hold it in place). Is there any noticeable effect of not having a cover?

Would using laces avoid the problem that has been described here about lengthening
straps?

Using laces might avoid the strap stretching issue, but of course, laces stretch too. The benefit I suppose is you can always buy new laces, but when you stretch out your straps (especially the buckle strap) you may eventually not be able to tighten them enough. There is also a 3 velcro strap version as well. I would think that the stretching issue would really apply more to the buckle, than the straps.

The disadvantage to the laces (track shoes) is it's lack of adjustability on the fly. There is only one velcro strap at the top of the shoe to cinch it close around your ankle. I don't think it provides quite as good support as the excellent design of the Bont buckle strap does. The cover is only for appearance and perhaps a small aero advantage, but without the cover you'd have a bit more ventilation, a common issue with prospective Bont buyers (I have worn these for over 5 hours on so many occasions in 40 C weather this summer and their ventilation never even crossed my mind... I was more concerned with how hot my jersey felt. I think is due to the breathability of the micro-fiber upper.)

For those who feel the shoes are too roomy, you can semi-custom order your shoes for "skinny" feet which basically have less upper material and therefore a lower shoe volume. If you don't have a lot of meat on the top of your feet or they're really boney, you may want to go this route. Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to tell, unless you've got a pair of stock Bonts in your size to try on before you order.

I have ridden my Bonts on many 200km rides with no foot pain (other than cramping of my toes which is only the result of dehydration) as well as enduros, elite road races, and crits. I and the other riders I know (except on the track) all use moldable insoles with Bonts to great effect. While keeping your foot as close to the pedal spindle is a benefit of Bonts, having a solid connection to the sole of the shoe is just as important. By removing the insole and replacing it with an ultra-thin custom moldable one (there are many great ones on the market) you can get the best fit, without sacrificing much of the benefits of the 3.6mm sole.

For best results, use a hot air gun to heat mold the shoes. You can get the best adjustment around the heel, arch, and toe box. Check the website for an instructional video.

Regarding them being water proof: The upper might well be, but the ventilation holes certainly aren't! They let plenty of water in. An unresolved issue is the lack of drainage for the shoes, but you can always drill them yourself;) I'm planning on doing so with mine in the near future, but maybe after winter :lol:

claus

by claus

I contacted Glenn (Bont USA) and got a (fast and) helpful answer: I could get a road
shoe with velcro/ buckle and eyelets underneath (just $20 more). Maybe that's the way
to go for me? However, most of my newer road shoes have a buckle and I barely
ever adjusted it during a ride. On my Sidi Carbon 6.6 I'm almost at the limit, that is,
there is only one "click" left for the buckle. Nevertheless, I don't think my feet are "skinny"
as I didn't fit into a DMT Mag shoe (it was too tight over the top of the foot where
the foot is the widest).
I will probably get a pair of shoes to try them on and then order a pair with the "right"
closing option (and color) if everything goes well.

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

The benefit of laces for a track racer if a nice smooth surface to crank down toe straps over, not to mention lighter weight. Lack of adjust ability is the only real loss for a road shoe.

I still think the D2 is a better shoe for the road.

claus

by claus

Glenn sent me two pairs of shoes in size 40 and 39. Unfortunately they are too "roomy", so I'm currently asking about the "skinny" option; are there different versions of that? I was able to completely tighten the buckle and still the shoe was not tight enough. Glenn told me that some customers take the shoes to a cobbler, and have him move the straps system to make the system work tighter, however, that is something I certainly don't want to do (especially since the two sides of the shoe uppers already touch each other). He is also checking whether I should use a narrower shoe; I sent him my foot tracings (as explained on the Bont website) back with the shoes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com