Cervélo SLT; third makeover on p4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Stockie

by Stockie

I think the white and red decals on the rims match the white and red accents of the frame. I want to give more white touches to the bike (bottle cages, pulleys, quick releases...)

An Edge 2.0 fork would be nice, but i don't have the money for the moment (poor student...)
I Will make the leap

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Nice SLT!

Here's mine for comparison and mutual admiration!:

8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stockie

by Stockie

That realy is a nice SLT you have there!

The 3T fork is also nice. Where did you get it?
I Will make the leap

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Stockie wrote:That realy is a nice SLT you have there!

The 3T fork is also nice. Where did you get it?

Thanks - it's actually sold now with an R3 on the way to replace it. I got the 3T fork from someone on the Cervelo forum, but they're readily available at any 3T dealer!

Jthomps60

by Jthomps60

Stockie wrote:I first concidered a pair of Reynolds assault wheels, but i changed my mind because i wanted really good wheels. So i've choosen some first class aluminium wheels instead of the cheap carbon ones.
Maybe later on i'll buy a set of high profile carbon wheels, that would really finish the bike

I don't know man... Reynolds assaults are good enough for my Parlee Z4.

Stockie

by Stockie

It has been 4 years now since i bought this Cervélo Soloist Team and i still love it.
But afther those years it's time for something different. I will keep the frame, since it is one damn sexy looking frame and has ride characteristics i love: stiff, aero, can handle some abuse (which comes in handy in Flanders…). Ok, it isn't the lightest frame out there, but it is good enough for my standards.

This is the setup of the bike right now:

And in the next couple of months it will change… a lot.

A few weeks ago i was able to catch up some Sram Rival shifters and Force rear derailleur at a nice price.
For the moment i'm working on the derailleur and get rid of the decals on the shifters. I will post pics of those within a couple of days, i'm pretty busy right now, exams you know…
I also bought a Shimano 7900 Dura-Ace front derailleur, since this is the lightest one available and comes in a nice gloss finish.

Other changes are coming. I will update this thread as my work continues.

Cheers
I Will make the leap

Stockie

by Stockie

So a quick write up of the things i did so far:

First of all, i took the Force rear derailleur appart. I removed the anodized finish of the aluminium parts with oven cleaner and started to sand and polished them.
I also removed a bit of material, but not to much.
Then i also took the clear coat of the inner cage. Maybe i'll upgrade to lighter inner and outer cages in the future. Those are parts that can be swapped easily in the future.
The spring i painted black.

Some other parts i'm working on are the brake levers, top cap and bottle cages. I removed the glossy clear coat. In the next week i refinish all the carbon parts in matte.

Then there are also some stock parts that i all ready bought like the Tune quick releases, Shimano Dura-Ace front derailleur and Sram Red black brakes.

I'd like to remove the Sram letters from te brakes and Dura-Ace on the front derailleur, but those are laser etched in the aluminium, so i think i'll just let them on.
During next week i'm expecting some parts of the derailleur, so i can work further on that one. For now it's just some more sanding and polishing :)
I Will make the leap

Stockie

by Stockie

So about the colour of the new project bike:
All carbon parts will be coated matte black (except for the fork).
the frame i will coat in satin black, so with a little bith of gloss in the paint. But i don't know what to do with the decals…
- Don't put any decals at all
- White decals on toptube, headtube (and downtube)
- gloss black decals on toptube, headtube (downtubey)
- graphite colored decals on toptube, headtube (downtube).

Some inspiration:

you can see the scott lettering on the headtube:

I Will make the leap

Stockie

by Stockie

New part's in: 3T Funda Pro at 370 grams as stated.
the aluminium insert weighs 20 grams including the starnut.
I think i'll take the 10-15 grams weight penalty over a extralite ultrastar because of the extra safety… (i know, not very weightweenie :roll: )
I Will make the leap

Stockie

by Stockie

No one with idea's or opinions on a semi-stealth paintjob?
I Will make the leap

Dimitri

by Dimitri

full black on black no coloured highlights. the graphite colour on black sounds ok too.

stealth paint jobs depend a lot on execution.

Stockie

by Stockie

Package with alu bolts and lighter pulley wheels arrived today, as did the aluminium bar to make some new derailleur pivot pins.
In the meantime all other carbon parts that will be installed on the bike are being sanded to clearcoat in a matte finish. A lot of elbow grease is needed (and some work with the dremel).
I'll post pics as soon as the parts are painted and reassembled.
I Will make the leap

Stockie

by Stockie

I've been playing with the frame in photoshop.
The S3 paint scheme of last years S3 was also pretty nice.

I eliminated the grey accents and emphasized the white ones. I also tried to diminsh the reflections to obtain the look of the satin finish.
This is the result:

I Will make the leap

iamalex

by iamalex

Looking forward to seeing how this build progresses - looks like quite a few hours have gone into the prep work already!

With regards to the surface finish - I much prefer that of the Scott over the Cervelo in the second image. A satin finish that's more gloss than matt in appearance would still pick up some nice highlights on the large Cervelo tubes.

I like visual you put together of the pared down S2 - Maybe knock off a couple of the logo's to keep it clean? I knocked up a rough 2009 S3 inspired version...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Take this picture and anyting that is white make it gloss black and paint the frame matt black to match the parts you have worked on. Everything that is matt and the frame/forks will match up very nicely and the gloss black lettering and stripe will give it a bit of contrast. Also get rid of the red on the front and just leave it blank.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades