Specialized Langster Weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pupuslinger

by pupuslinger

I bought a Langster a couple months ago and have been changing parts on it here and there. The weight is currently at 16.3 lbs, which seems kind of heavy. I have Easton EC90 Equipe SLX bars, as Easton EA90 stem, Zero Gravity OG Titanium front brake, Paul cross lever, Specialized Pave seatpost, hollow pin chain. The wheels are White Industries track hubs with Velocity Aerohead hoops and Specialized Armadillo tires. The bike rides so much better than stock it is incredible. I could have went lighter on the wheels, but these should be pretty strong. But when I see these 13 lb bikes, it blows my mind. I am only about 3 1/2 lbs lighter than stock, and I took off almost all the controls, and what I did replace, I replaced with light parts. The wheelset only lost me about 1.5 lbs, I was sure I would lose more than that, but it is what it is. I will change the fork next, was looking at the Eastons but not sure how much I would lose, I am guessing about 200 grams, but I dont know how heavy the stock fork is. I am sure the bottom bracket will net me some grams also. But asside from that, not sure what else to do. I have the stock cranks, does not seem like I can save a bunch there, but I see different weights for the stock Sugino Messanger cranks.
Attachments
bike.jpg

mad_racr

by mad_racr

are you using this bike to race on the track? or is this only a road fixed gear 'show-y' kind of bike? just curious why you would take a bike that is made to be beaten up on the road and WW the hell out of it.

why not just get a track frame and was insane lighter to start with. plus if you are using this on the road in a major city (chicago, nyc, etc) why go for lighter wheels? the roads here in chicago blow! if i was riding a commuter or crap bike here, i would be rolling on heavy wheels that were bomb proof.

sorry...just curious as to the purpose of this bike. thanks...later.

mad_racr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pupuslinger

by pupuslinger

Its not a track bike, just building it up and had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I just ride locally, California. The roads are pretty good where I ride and the wheels have held up good so far, as long as I can go on and off curbs I am good. I do ride it quite a bit, and that is one of the reason I am kind of worried about the super light Easton forks.

I built up these wheels just because I wanted to, I thought that the stockers were heavier than there were, but you can deffinately see the quality difference in the wheels and they roll smoother and quieter, and they stop much better too which kind of surprised me.

I dont need a 13 lb bike, just wonder how some of the Langsters I have seen are that much lighter than mine because 3 lbs is a lot of weight, I guess I am not going to get much lighter and still have the strength that I want.

.:Jimbo:.

by .:Jimbo:.

I had a Langster, and truth be told, I have no idea how much it weighed. At the time, I just never cared much about being a weight weenie. Shortly there after, I purchased a Cannondale Capo, and got that to 14 pounds-ish. I was constantly changing parts, bars, adding and removing my brakes, etc, so sometimes it weighed in a bit more, but other times, less!

First the frame, this was not built specifically as a weight weenie frame choice, while aluminum, it's not the lightest frame around, as it needs to survive the use and abuse specialized designed it for. That being mostly city rides, and commuting, with the occasional banging it around for locking it up, and falling, etc.

As for the fork. it most likely Specialized's heaviest carbon fork, there is no fancy fork going in the Langster to hit the price point it is selling at. I'd imagine a good 1/3 of a pound to even 1/2 just by putting a decent full carbon fork.

Lastly, a few small notes on your build-
You have one of, if not the heaviest tire for that bike. While a bombproof, and ideal city, they are by no means light.

Also, you still have platform pedals equipped with cages.
Certainly plenty of weight can be dropped there with a clipless system.

And you have a computer! Whie not not too heavy, there is yet another source of weight, you won't generally find on those 13 pound bikes.

With all that said, you could certainly drop some weight, however it might make the bike a bit less practical for your needs. It seems you have a solid ride there, and I'd be pretty happy to ride that around town just as it sits now!

8)

.:Jimbo:.

by .:Jimbo:.

pupuslinger wrote: I do ride it quite a bit, and that is one of the reason I am kind of worried about the super light Easton forks.

No need to be. The Easton stuff is solid. I rode raced Easton EC-90 aeros, and cross race on an Easton EC-90x fork. All still intact!

pupuslinger

by pupuslinger

I knew the tires would be heavy, but I chose that over lighter ones hoping to eliminate flats as since the wheels are bolted on and I normally do not carry tools with me unless I am on a ride out and away. Without the computer and pedals I am sure I could be down in the 15s. The pedals are some Soma that are pretty light plust the cages are aluminum, but I dont care for the pedals at all so a change is coming, just not sure if I want to go clipless yet, but I am getting there. It is more of a mind deal than anything else, I know it wont make me faster or anything, just more of the cool factor. Considering most of the guys i ride with have bikes in the 19 to 23 lb range, my bike gets picked up alot.

That being said, I love this bike, it is my favorite road bike to date for sure.

ostetorben

by ostetorben

saddle is heavy too :!:

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

I never bothered to weigh my fixie.

Track hubs, Brooks saddles and 1/8" BMX chains are heavy anyway.
Just ride the damn thing.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I had a langster. Great handling frame. Never weighed it, used it as a commuter.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

BmanX

by BmanX

Specialized Lanster Fixed Gear - I have since sold the complete build as I just was not riding it enough but it was 13.22 lbs. If I have changed out the forks to my EC90 SLX and changed out the saddle and bars, I could have had them under 13 lbs with part that I had in the garage or on other builds.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

MaaseyRacer

by MaaseyRacer

If you want to shed weight off that bike I would recommed changing out:
Seat Post
Fork
Cranks

It can be tough to find lightweight track stuff, and for good reason. I would not go too light on the chain as they take a ton of abuse on a fixed gear bike.
Also a new fork can completely change the ride of the bike, make sure you get something with a similar rake and crown height.

waychel

by waychel

Change that fork out! The stock Langster fork doesn't have a carbon steerer. That Aerus fork that BmanX put on his bike is light and relatively cheap.

Inspired by BmanX, I just bought a Langster Comp frameset. I plan to build it up slowly to have it ready for the spring.

This is going to be my build list:

Langster Comp Frame
Easton EC90 SLX fork (or maybe the Aerus--it's a lot cheaper)
Syntace F99 stem (25.4)
Easton EC90 Flatbar or MonkeyLite risers
Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost (27.2 x 240, I hope. I might have to get a 330 due to the compact geometry)
Dura-Ace 7710 Cranks with matching bottom bracket (I'd actually like to convert a light road double, but they don't seem to come in 165mm and have outboard bearings)
Salsa 42T 144 bcd chainring
Dura Ace Road Hub (F) and Dura-Ace LF Track Hub (R) laced to Niobium XR-300 rims. (32 spokes)
Tektro cross lever
Cane Creek 200SL front brake
Selle Italia SLR saddle (135g version)
Sundry other things.

This is going to be my first semi-WW build. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated (esp. regarding cranks). Is there another frame I should be looking at? I'm open to selling my Langster Comp and getting a Capo or something else.Does anybody know anything about the Cannondale CAAD5 track frame? There's one on eBay righ tnow, and I want to know if it's significantly lighter than the Langster Comp.

BmanX

by BmanX

WOW I actually inspired someone. That is a first. :unbelievable:

The Langster frame is pretty light and cheap so that is why I went with this frame for my fixed project.

Looking back on the build and the parts that I had used, I could have gone lighter by going with an Easton EC90 SLX fork (which works for me), I should have gone with an Easton EC90 (99g) flatbar set up and my Extralite Ultralevers and used some bartape for grips.

I think the saddle that you have picked will be fine.

If you have the seat post already then by all means go with the Thomson as they are an amazing saddle but if you are going to buy a new post then I would maybe look at the KCNC Ti Pro Lite post as they are very light and do not cost a lot.

It looks like it will be a light build for sure.

I currently have a pair of the Extralite Ultralite levers sitting around as well as a KCNC Ti Pro Lite post that is 27.2 x 350 that you can cut down to size. So if you want them for the build, send me a PM and we can work something out. They are not doing me any good sitting on the work bench.

Please post pictures when you get this built up as I would love to see it.

Cheers.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

pupuslinger

by pupuslinger

I just picked up a Easont ec90slx fork yesterday, got a good deal on it brand new uncut, putting it on today, the bike should come in around 15.4 or so. I took of the to clips, they were bugging me, still trying to decide on pedals. The specialized seat post i have seems pretty light, it is about 190 grams or so now that I cut it. I got it for 40 bucks and so far I like the way it rides. Gonna take a long ride tomorrow and see how I like the fork. Ill get some pics up after I get her all buttoned up.

waychel

by waychel

pupuslinger wrote:I just picked up a Easont ec90slx fork yesterday, got a good deal on it brand new uncut, putting it on today, the bike should come in around 15.4 or so. I took of the to clips, they were bugging me, still trying to decide on pedals. The specialized seat post i have seems pretty light, it is about 190 grams or so now that I cut it. I got it for 40 bucks and so far I like the way it rides. Gonna take a long ride tomorrow and see how I like the fork. Ill get some pics up after I get her all buttoned up.

Tell me how you like that Easton fork. I'm interested in picking one up, too.

Also, how do you like that White track hubset? Are the advertised weights accurate? If so, that's a pretty light track hubset. I'm deciding between the low-flange Dura Ace and the White Industries.

However, if I go White Industries, I'm going to run an White H2 road hub in the front. Saves about 100 grams, and it's cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com